Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Exclamation About Government Checks

I got a letter from my LO about 2 government checks that is coming to me for him. I'm not sure if they will be in his name or in my name but if they are going to be in his name, could I put them in my bank account even though the checks could possibly be in his name? I'm at a bank for right now but I am going to go to a credit union sometimes next month to open an account there. What else would I need to know about checks from an inmate? This is my first time that I will do something like this. Thank you for reading and answering my question.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2017, 05:10 PM

If the 2 of you have a joint account you can just write for deposit only and deposit the checks if not he needs to sign the checks and then you can deposit them into your account. You just need to sign under his signature
Old 01-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Iimas View Post
If the 2 of you have a joint account you can just write for deposit only and deposit the checks if not he needs to sign the checks and then you can deposit them into your account. You just need to sign under his signature
We don't have a joint account. What if the checks come and he didn't sign for them? Would it be fine to send them to the prison where he's at and let him put his signature and then, he can mail it back to me? Could I sign the checks in front of the banker?
Old 01-26-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaacharles View Post
We don't have a joint account. What if the checks come and he didn't sign for them? Would it be fine to send them to the prison where he's at and let him put his signature and then, he can mail it back to me? Could I sign the checks in front of the banker?
If he hadn't signed the checks send them to him so he can sign them then just go deposit them in your account.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 15,804 Times in 9,604 Posts

Having him provide you with a power of attorney is one other option if these two checks won't be the last ones you receive. Also ask your bank or credit union what they will require for you to negotiate checks in his name, which can be somewhat different, and specific to that institution.

The April 2017 issue of the PTO Quarterly is now available to download or print

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B72...sxS1ZTTW8/view
[/size]
Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
If he hadn't signed the checks send them to him so he can sign them then just go deposit them in your account.
Ok. Do I need to notify the prison beforehand that I'm going to send him something that he needs to sign just in case I need to send them to him?
Old 01-26-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Having him provide you with a power of attorney is one other option if these two checks won't be the last ones you receive. Also ask your bank or credit union what they will require for you to negotiate checks in his name, which can be somewhat different, and specific to that institution.
I'm not sure if I will get more checks like those but most likely, I probably will. How do I have him to provide me with a power of attorney?
Old 01-27-2017, 05:15 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

POAs are state-specific, so check with the NC government to find one that is appropriate. Your bank/CU may have them too.

You can send him the appropriate POA form to sign and mail back to you. If it needs to be notarized, his bop counselor can do that.

[/size]
Old 01-27-2017, 06:47 AM

If you are going to get power of attorney for banking related issues check with your bank. I manage a bank and we have specific poa forms for bank accounts. We do not take all poa forms sometimes the wording is off. They do have notary service at the prison. You could send him the poa form and checks together with a letter and he can just send you everything back and you should be good to go since you are expecting more checks in the future
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs. Iimas For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-27-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
POAs are state-specific, so check with the NC government to find one that is appropriate. Your bank/CU may have them too.

You can send him the appropriate POA form to sign and mail back to you. If it needs to be notarized, his bop counselor can do that.
Ok. If the checks need to be signed, would it be fine if I just send him the checks and tell him to sign it and mail it back to me or do I have to notify the prison that I'm going to send him checks that he needs to sign so they will know to expect it?
Old 01-29-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
If you are going to get power of attorney for banking related issues check with your bank. I manage a bank and we have specific poa forms for bank accounts. We do not take all poa forms sometimes the wording is off. They do have notary service at the prison. You could send him the poa form and checks together with a letter and he can just send you everything back and you should be good to go since you are expecting more checks in the future
I will. So for the power of attorney, do I need to have a joint account with him or can I keep my own account and deposit his checks into my account?
Old 01-31-2017, 07:37 PM

Keep in mind any check you send will be receipted and go to his commissary. No jails that I know of will allowed the inmates to be in possession. And if it's a gov't check in his name it will be flagged.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:39 PM

Here is an update. He told me that I will now receive 3 government checks coming to me and I received 1 today in the mail. How long do I have to cash it before the check expires?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:12 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Government Checks

Checks from the U.S. Treasury are valid for one year after issuance. The U.S Treasury issues checks from the Internal Revenue Service, Social Security Administration and any other federal agency. Payees must contact the paying agency to request a reissued check if it has expired.

[/size]
Old 02-14-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Government Checks

Checks from the U.S. Treasury are valid for one year after issuance. The U.S Treasury issues checks from the Internal Revenue Service, Social Security Administration and any other federal agency. Payees must contact the paying agency to request a reissued check if it has expired.
Thank you so much. How do I know where the check got issued from? How does it work anyway when they issue a check from U.S. Treasury and how do I find out why it got issued to me?
Old 02-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The check will say who issued the payment. To find out more details, like why it was issued, you'll need to contact the federal agency that originated the payment.

[/size]
Old 02-15-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
The check will say who issued the payment. To find out more details, like why it was issued, you'll need to contact the federal agency that originated the payment.
Ok. Thank you. I had this question in mind so I am going to ask. I am going to receive 2 more government checks but I saw on the U.S. Treasury website that I can sign up for direct deposit so it can be in my account. I would like to sign up for it but I am not sure if the other 2 government checks are in the mail already to be sent to me. Would it be too late for me to sign up for them even if the checks are in the mail to me already?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:38 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The direct deposit would only be for future payments.

[/size]
Old 02-15-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
The direct deposit would only be for future payments.
So, I can sign up for it now right?
Old 02-16-2017, 05:05 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes you can sign up now.

[/size]
Old 02-17-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Yes you can sign up now.
Ok. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to mariaacharles For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:37 PM

Question: Is there a way to check if I have any more checks coming to me from the U.S. Department of Treasury? My LO said he sent me $350.00 using 3 government checks that I should've gotten by now but I only got the $100.00 check so far.

I am planning on cashing the check on Monday by going to the bank. Before I cash it, I know it's a real check but could the bank also verify my check to see if it's real and how do they do that?
Old 02-17-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Question: Is there a way to check if I have any more checks coming to me from the U.S. Department of Treasury? My LO said he sent me $350.00 using 3 government checks that I should've gotten by now but I only got the $100.00 check so far.

I am planning on cashing the check on Monday by going to the bank. Before I cash it, I know it's a real check but could the bank also verify my check to see if it's real and how do they do that?
If the check doesn't have your name on it and your LO hasn't signed it you aren't going to be able to cash or deposit the check.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
If the check doesn't have your name on it and your LO hasn't signed it you aren't going to be able to cash or deposit the check.
The check does have my name on it
Old 02-17-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:

If it's a real check from the US Department of Treasury the bank will be able to tell. They may put a hold on the funds for up to 10 days though to make sure the check clears.