Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 AM
MissMySon

Exclamation BOP punishing all inmates for contraband even if not guilty; what can I do?

Re BOP in AR. Drugs and/or other contraband are being brought in to inmates either by visitors or employees (employees are not searched prior to reporting for duty). Two or more inmates overdosed over the past 2 weeks. As a result of this, all units are being punished including my son's, who had nothing to do with it. At 54- deg. outside, the A/C was turned on two days ago, inmates are banned from the chow hall and are being fed peanut butter or bologna for lunch/dinner. No library or other privileges, no outside exercise in rec yard, nothing. Fortunately, my son has access to commissary that allows him a hot meal at dinner, but what about other inmates who have no outside support? Being kept cold and being withheld adequate nourishment is, in my opinion, akin to cruel and unusual punishment. To add to this cruelty, all visitation by family and loved ones has been suspended 'until further notice'. I don't understand how this or any other facility has a legal right to 'torture' inmates based on the actions of a few. Does anyone else have any information or input on this situation? Who can I address my concerns to?

Last edited by jorja1953; 11-05-2018 at 09:06 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2018, 09:34 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,768 Times in 1,622 Posts

I think it's usually the rule "one ruins it for everybody". They have to do an investigation and in the meantime everybody get's punished.
Happens all the time at my guy's facility, stabbing in different dorm, everybody goes on lockdown...
But... the other ladies/gentlemen on here can probably give you a more detailed info - I still feel like a prison virgin even after almost 4 years...
miamac (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,191 Times in 6,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorja1953 View Post
I don't understand how this or any other facility has a legal right to 'torture' inmates based on the actions of a few. Does anyone else have any information or input on this situation? Who can I address my concerns to?
This is less about punishment and more about safety. You don't need to address it with anyone. Please understand that I've been in your shoes and it rarely seems "fair", but in comparison to having my loved one put at risk over a safety issue, I'll take it.

When multiple ODs occur in a small amount of time, it can mean that high potency or tainted drugs are being sold on the yard (tier, bld, dorm...insert your word). Drugs will always be in prison, but drugs that are killing inmates in a single hit? That's taking it to another level. They lock them down and remove privileges to try to investigate. This does not, in any way, constitute torture. This is first and foremost about dangerous contraband and stopping it from taking another life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
BearsLadyBear (11-06-2018), MizzyMuffling (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 04:10 PM

I wouldn't call that torture...
But that's pretty much Lock down. That's what happens inside prisons/jails. Some inmates go thru that about every day, the ones that are the highest security risk.

It's apart of being in there. It sucks yes, but people died, they need to investigate and keep every one else safe, from stopping drug flow.
The Following User Says Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
miamac (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 04:31 PM

Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,084 Posts

Yeah, that’s what you call a lockdown. It happens all the time for all kinds of reasons. I’m guessing the air conditioning was unrelated... remember, the COs have to work in the exact same environment the inmates do. They aren’t going to deliberately freeze themselves just to be ornery. When they feel they’ve got a handle on the drug situation, the lockdown will be lifted.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:41 PM

Similar situation where my son is. Drug overdoses, stabbing and this last month they confiscated all the inmates boots because someone used them to attack another inmate. While it stinks when they are on lockdown, as a mom I do appreciate the efforts to control the drugs and violence. At least I sleep better knowing he can still eat a peanut butter sandwich tomorrow and will be safe. Just my view.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beachymom For This Useful Post:
BearsLadyBear (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 07:59 PM

Thanked 1,207 Times in 612 Posts

This past summer for about 2 weeks in July, my husband's facility was on constant lockdown due to the tons of contraband inside. They never cancel visitation where he is, and fortunately it was a weekend I was there so he was able to get the hell out of his dorm, but for the most part, other than going to chow, the guys were not allowed out of their dorms on and off for the 2 weeks and they had constant shakedowns and a bunch of strip searches. The dorms are also NOT air conditioned, so while it was in the upper 80s and low 90's and probably hotter in the dorms because of it, they had to stay in there. It was brutal. My visiting then was a fluke, but guys were going bonkers since they couldn't leave otherwise.

So yeah, it does happen unfortunately, and in this case, there were no deaths. The inmates also for the first time at least since my husband had been there, had to go through strip searches after visitation. They don't search the visitors at all nor do they have us go through any kind of detector. Much of the contraband is flung over the fences.

Anyway, it's the policy and you don't want to complain to anyone anyway, because you might just make it worse for him in the long run. He just has to suck it up, grin and bear it.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 07:54 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,336 Posts

The BOP will ignore any communication from you. You do have the option of reaching out to your Congressman and Senators, but if they are leaving, do it in January. The lame ducks will do nothing. Personally, it helps if you have made contributions to the politicians, and definitely go vote Democrat today, because you are likely to get more attention from them on this personal issue.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:47 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,518 Times in 14,377 Posts

As others have said, its a lockdown. They can happen anytime for any reason.
illnesses, missing equipment, fights, contraband, even weather.
They suck, and they happen all the time. Sometimes they will still allow visits, other times they dont.
At least mail is usually still allowed in/out.

As to the A/C being on all the time, that part I dont get. Unless its broken somehow.
I'd guess he should wear extra clothing (if he has it)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 11-06-2018, 10:44 AM

Does anyone know which facilities have been affected with lockdowns? My friend, in Marion, was to have called Sunday night but still hasn't. It's not like him to miss 2 days without calling!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
Does anyone know which facilities have been affected with lockdowns? My friend, in Marion, was to have called Sunday night but still hasn't. It's not like him to miss 2 days without calling!
Yes, prison is a bit like school and other institutions.Every body gets punished for the actions of a stupid few.it's not fair but there's very little you can do about it .On the other had it sounds like your son's prison has serious problems and if lockdown for everybody solves the drug issues, it's worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to uniformed For This Useful Post:
John M (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniformed View Post
Yes, prison is a bit like school and other institutions.Every body gets punished for the actions of a stupid few.it's not fair but there's very little you can do about it .On the other had it sounds like your son's prison has serious problems and if lockdown for everybody solves the drug issues, it's worth it.
Of course, we can all play "armchair quarterbacks" but until they search prison personnel (like they search inmates AND us), coming to work, the mail is the least of their worries!
Old 11-06-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
Of course, we can all play "armchair quarterbacks" but until they search prison personnel (like they search inmates AND us), coming to work, the mail is the least of their worries!
Thank god they don't search "us" when I go to visit my husband. I would feel so violated, as I haven't done anything wrong.

At his place the contraband is coming in over the fence. People throw bags of crap over the fence at all hours and the CO's because they do counts at certain times and everyone knows it, don't catch it in time, if they're even watching.

And they hide it all over the facility. A few months ago, they found a ton hidden in the chapel!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
bellisq (11-06-2018), fbopnomore (11-06-2018), John M (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 06:28 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,352 Times in 11,852 Posts

I don't know about the camps, but every other security level prison has armed COs riding the perimeter fence in trucks. It's been going on for so long that Petersburg has a mural with a picture of a CO riding a mule, which naturally elicits "ass on an ass" comments.

Lockdowns are the fallback punishment for just about anything. Temperature problems are usually because of excessive heat in the many non air conditioned prisons located in very hot climates, but the AC at FDC Miami was so cold I had to dress in layers. Comfort of inmates is immaterial to the bop.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Temperature problems are usually because of excessive heat in the many non air conditioned prisons located in very hot climates, but the AC at FDC Miami was so cold I had to dress in layers.

That happened to us at the (former) Idaho Correctional Center after too many knucklehead prisoners complained that the AC wasn't cool enough one summer. So the guards taught us a lesson by cranking it way down beyond comfort levels to make us shiver in the middle of the summer. We were all blocking our vents and wearing our sweatshirts everywhere indoors, even to the chow hall, to compensate. Fortunately, it only lasted for a few weeks before they "recalibrated" the AC system back to normal.

Better to be too cold than too hot though. Like you said, you can always dress in layers or snuggle under blankets to get warm. But in the dead heat of summer, without AC, you can only strip down to your underwear and sweat like a pig. Buy a cheap 8-inch fan that only blows warm air around. Much more miserable dealing with excessive heat than excessive cool, IMHO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 07:05 AM

[quote=fbopnomore;7751513]I don't know about the camps, but every other security level prison has armed COs riding the perimeter fence in trucks. It's been going on for so long that Petersburg has a mural with a picture of a CO riding a mule, which naturally elicits "ass on an ass" comments.

Lockdowns are the fallback punishment for just about anything. Temperature problems are usually because of excessive heat in the many non air conditioned prisons located in very hot climates, but the AC at FDC Miami was so cold I had to dress in layers. Comfort of inmates is immaterial to the bop.
[/QUOTE
They can't even do that in Duluth. The prison is adjacent to the Duluth airport. Apparently the prison used to be on Air Force land, or something like that and part of it still is. Something like that. And then one side of it is right up against a wooded area. They would be better off building some sort of moat! My husband said they're talking about putting up a higher fence, but give me a break, part of the area doesn't even have a fence and the gate to ward us off before visiting, isn't even a gate. It's one of those poles that is just locked with a padlock they open and close on the weekends, so anyone can just walk right around it without issue. I also don't even think the guards carry guns there - at least if they do, they're concealed. Or, they don't have them on them when any of them walk in and out of the visiting area. I have to ask my husband if they have guns inside, but I"m pretty sure I've asked before and he's said no.

Worst thing that has happened there between inmates is that they get beaten up when they owe a debt due to gambling - which of course, they shouldn't be doing anyway, but, thanks to "contraband" and other shit thrown over the fence, they get betting slips thrown over.

Thank god my husband stays away from that crap in there but he is literally blown away by the guys inside that have families on the outside struggling without $ due to their misdeeds, betting tons of $ (stamps) on the inside and then continue to tell their wives/families to keep sending them money or doing other things for stamps, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-11-2018)