Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Adult Children and Siblings of Inmates
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Adult Children and Siblings of Inmates For Adult Children, brothers and sisters of prisoners

Old 02-04-2016, 11:17 AM

Question My brother was recently arrested. How to deal with this?

To think that only these kinds of things only happened in movies and on TV. But this is reality. Yesterday, in the middle of the night we (our family) get a call from my brother (34 years old) telling us that he was in jail.

A cousin of ours, whom we have no close relationship with, accused him of raping her. However, she didn't shed light onto the matter until two months after it happened.

When he was arrested, he told the cops he did have sex with her, and also, he agreed to knowing her age at the time of the act. It's as if he was calling his own sentence.

At this point, I am not sure how to react. My mom and my sister are both devastated. I haven't shed a tear. I am trying to stay strong for them. We cannot resolve the issue by crying ourselves to death. What can I do to help my mom and my sister feel better? What kind of support does my brother need?

In the midst of it all, I am trying to not focus on the bad side of the situation. What happened, happened. We cannot simply make everything go away; we have to deal with this situation head on.

He is supposed to be sentenced 34 years in prison. We have to hire a lawyer and see what can be done.

I don't know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

JSRL
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2016, 12:47 PM

Well first off I am sorry you are in this situation. It sounds like your brother has some some poor decisions. Is your cousin under the age of consent? If your brother qualifies he should probably get a public defender unless someone in the family has the means to pay for his attorney. If he was just barely I don't think anyone can tell you a sentence. Is he pleading guilty or fighting the charges?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,133 Times in 11,755 Posts

First, make sure he has a lawyer to defend him. Also, don't discuss the facts of the case with him, you don't want to end up as a witness against him.

He should not discuss the case with anyone but his lawyer, including during recorded telephone calls and in photocopied letters. Not only can't whatever happened be changed, neither can the admissions/confession he already gave the police, so his lawyer probably already has much to try to overcome. Many things can change between now and when the case is finally resolved, but that's his lawyer's job, not the families'.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 02-04-2016 at 01:38 PM..
Old 02-04-2016, 01:53 PM

Be sure to tell him to KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT in prison. Wanting to discuss your case is human nature, but these people aren't his friends.

Get the best lawyer you can find and do not speak about the case.

It is going to be a rough road, but like you said, you have to tackle the situation. So lawyer up and be prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huanmah View Post
To think that only these kinds of things only happened in movies and on TV. But this is reality. Yesterday, in the middle of the night we (our family) get a call from my brother (34 years old) telling us that he was in jail.

A cousin of ours, whom we have no close relationship with, accused him of raping her. However, she didn't shed light onto the matter until two months after it happened.

When he was arrested, he told the cops he did have sex with her, and also, he agreed to knowing her age at the time of the act. It's as if he was calling his own sentence.

At this point, I am not sure how to react. My mom and my sister are both devastated. I haven't shed a tear. I am trying to stay strong for them. We cannot resolve the issue by crying ourselves to death. What can I do to help my mom and my sister feel better? What kind of support does my brother need?

In the midst of it all, I am trying to not focus on the bad side of the situation. What happened, happened. We cannot simply make everything go away; we have to deal with this situation head on.

He is supposed to be sentenced 34 years in prison. We have to hire a lawyer and see what can be done.

I don't know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

JSRL
Old 02-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,363 Times in 3,946 Posts

Hi there I am sorry to hear you are in this situation.The initial arrest and awaiting trial can be the most difficult time for families. He needs a lawyer as soon as possible.There is some good advice on how to find a lawyer on the florida bar website www.floridabar.org.
If you cant afford to pay then he will get a public defender appointed.
Asothers have said dont talk to him about his case and advise him not to talk to anyone but his lawyer.I know you may want answers but anything he says maybe recorded and used against him.
All you can do is support him as a family.
Good luck

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army