Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Member Introductions & Bull in Session Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Member Introductions & Bull in Session Lounge Introductions forum for California members and a place to discuss non-prison related topics with other people in the State.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:13 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,325 Times in 14,293 Posts
Default Three Californias? What do you think about that?

Ive heard of several times folks have tried a variation on this idea.
And while its true that even tho we are all Californians....we are very different.
What do you think about this
https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...t-12833111.php

That's my dog's nose art

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2018, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,382 Times in 10,939 Posts

Seems fairly silly to me. And the article downplays the costs of such a split rather drastically. Especially litigation costs. I can't see it doing a whole lot of good or improving any real situations.
gvalliant (04-30-2018), miamac (04-29-2018), sidewalker (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Donation Award 

Not to mention the US flag would have to change...

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
nimuay (04-29-2018), xolady (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,046 Times in 6,852 Posts

When I saw the division my first thought was...so they want to concentrate the tax wealth into "California" and leave the north and south to fend for themselves-- notably that the new SoCal has some of the highest poverty and crime rates in the current state. When I questioned a proponent of the split about this, her response was the each region has its own "branding" and it just makes more sense. Felt like a very elitist response. What sort of "branding" does San Bernardino and Imperial co. bring to the table?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
nimuay (04-29-2018), sidewalker (04-30-2018), xolady (04-29-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:01 AM

Donation Award 

Water will be the biggest beef.
If it were to actually *pass* omg what a mess.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 04-30-2018, 09:31 AM

Thanked 1,227 Times in 509 Posts

There are too many wealthy people with too much time on their hands in California. Draper lists a typical laundry list of problems he sees - schools and taxes and yada yada. Concludes it's because the state and government is too big. His "obvious" solution - break it into smaller pieces and those smaller governments will solve the ills.

Vocal minority stirs things up. Little thought to costs and problems that will be created. Lack of planning begs for more damage than good. I understand the frustration that led to Brexit; now they are facing the reality of implementing. We'll see how that all works out.

Growing up in Canada I remember well the 1970's and the Quebec Separatist movement. Rene Levesque was Premiere of Quebec and Pierre Trudeau Canada's PM. Levesque pushed separation hard, Trudeau was supportive. Years of political noise and buildup and then the Quebecois had their vote. Strong NO vote. Turns out the noisy minority did not represent what the people wanted.

However........

During those years of buildup. Many believed it would happen. There was a significant economic exodus from Quebec during that time. Montreal was Canadian headquarters to many major international corporations. Pharmaceuticals, financials and others. Many pulled up their roots and relocated to Toronto Ontario out of concern Quebec might separate from Canada. Bank of MONTREAL still has "headquarters" in Montreal but the bulk of operations were relocated to Toronto. How about that? Quebec lost, rest of Canada gained at their expense. Then separation never happened.

He's getting his signatures and maybe we see it on the ballot. One would hope CA voters would have the good sense to trounce this at the ballot box so they don't get a chance to do damage. I agree California screws up a lot of things. This is not a good idea, IMO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-30-2018), nimuay (04-30-2018), sidewalker (04-30-2018)