Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 PM

Default Housing while on Parole?

So... he is do to be released soon. He no longer has a home to go to. I'm not even close to ready for him to come to my house, for more than a couple of reasons.

I have a simple question though, he can't come here while on Parole because I have firearms in my home, correct? If they were removed and stored elsewhere, will they search/inspect my home if he was here?

Places he's allowed to go? I have a local small mom and pop bar that I go to a lot. He's always mentioning me taking him when he gets out. On Parole isn't he suppose to stay out of bars? Maybe I'm wrong... just looking for some answers.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,171 Times in 7,107 Posts

You will get more answers to your questions is the Probation and Parole Form, so I'll move it there for you.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,361 Times in 11,856 Posts

His restrictions, what he can and can't do on parole, will be set by the parole board and his PO. Some parolees are allowed to go to bars, most are not, but he will definitely be told which one pertains to him.

If he is not allowed to be in a bar, or anywhere there are firearms, whatever, and he does it anyway, he risks being violated and sent back to prison. You can check the MO parole restrictions here, but his specific conditions won't be known until he is paroled.
http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/cu...sr/14c80-3.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Atomic Songbird (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 PM

When he's released on parole, he will receive the 'laundry list', as it were; he'll get in writing everything he's not allowed to do. And he'll be required to sign off on all those restrictions, meaning simply put he'll get into trouble for violating any of the rules on that list.

Each parolee is unique, but there are generally a few rules that pertain to MOST people on parole. He'll most likely not be allowed to go into a bar, so I'd just prepare for that one up front if I were you and then have a pleasant surprise if he's one of the rare exceptions to that rule. And then as a member of his support network coming home I'd also make sure HE'S prepared for that reality too, so if he talks to you about going to your favorite bar, gently remind him that probably won't be happening until he's off parole. Right from the start let him know that you're not going to be an enabler.

As to the specific question regarding firearms, most likely they wouldn't be allowed in your home if he came to live there. Generally speaking my boyfriend's PO only ever searches J's bedroom specifically (he lives with his grandparents) and then also searches the common areas of the home (kitchen, living room, common bathroom), but to my knowledge he technically reserves the right to search any part of the house he wants to search. So really if your boyfriend came to live with you, you'd be better off taking those firearms and storing them at a friend or family member's home to avoid any risks. Also if you have any other questions, ask the parole officer directly; don't wait to find out later, because there's usually lack of patience and little forgiveness for mistakes on the back end. Better to get permission first for anything you have doubts about.

And as one final, general piece of advice, while absolutely your boyfriend should be excited and start dreaming about all the things he wants to do when he comes home...I'd encourage you to try and make sure he doesn't make TOO many plans until after he gets a good look at his parole restrictions and rules. That can really lead them to feeling down, if they make plans for certain things only to find out their first day home they can't do it. It sets themselves up for a negative 'something' right off the bat, which you don't want; parole can be challenging even on the best of days, after all.

I wish you luck!
I am the captain of my soul."