Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation or release in Indiana should be posted here.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Question Parole investigation--Home visit & release Question

Ok, so my guy is set to be released from Westville on 5/19 and the original plan was for him to apply for the interstate compact and parole to his mothers house in IL, where we live. However, when the parole officer came to her home and started telling her all these worst case scenarios like random searches, possible house arrest and all these other stipulations she got scared and told them that he couldnt be paroled there and they denied his home plan. So more than likely he will get released to a halfway house or shelter.

My first question is do I still go pick him up at midnight on his release day or are they going to arrange something for him seeing as though he will be going to a halfway house or shelter?

Second, it looks like I will be moving back to Hammond next month so that he can have an Indy address to parole to and not have to be in the shelter. The only option for me is to rent an apartment, I know a lot of places are reluctant if not against having a felon live on their premises. My question is if I get an apartment and have him submit to his parole agent the address and they come for a home visit will they contact the leasing office or will this just be a meeting between me and the officer. I already know that you should be up front and honest and blah blah blah but desperate times call for desperate measures. I cant have my fiancee living in a homeless shelter or halfway house when he can live with me. Anybody living in a managed apartment and had a parole visit? My main concern is that they DO NOT contact management at all. Any insight can really help me before I make the move back to Hammond...

People may not understand..but thats not my problem...I LOVE HIM!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2010, 07:59 PM

Wow omg you just opened a whole new mess of questions for me. I am in the same boat my fiance is in westville an gets released 6-6. I live in an apartment i didnt even think bout parol yet. Hope someone can answer your questions
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM

Well this would be my suggestion. When you apply to get your apartment include his information on the application as a resident. Explain that he won't be on the lease, but he will be living there. Most places want to run a background check on everyone that will be living there and as long as someone is signing the lease they legally have a person to go after if there are problems.

If they run both of you and approve you to get an apartment I would assume it wouldn't be a problem.

As far as the home visit goes. It really depends on the PO. Some will just come in and look around, talk to you, etc. Others will go out of their way to make sure that the landlord knows they will be having a convicted felon living there and if the landlord says no then the home plan gets denied.

One option you might want to consider is renting a house if you can afford it. That way you only have 1 person to worry about where a landlord at an apartment complex has a dozen people if not more that will judge their decision. It's a tricky situation.

As far as getting to the half-way house I believe DOC will get them there. There are plenty of people getting out who have no family and no ride.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Returning Citizen

The DOC has to provide transportation. I wish they would just let us walk home. If nobody is scheduled to pick him up, a transport officer will take him to approved housing.

If I were you, I'd give him a ride. Otherwise, he'll be at the mercy of the DOC's schedule.

Housing is not as bad as you think. The people that run into problems are sex offenders. Offenders are disqualified from getting certain assistance. You should have no problems finding a place to live.

Parole officers operate differently by state. I think Illnois by the sound of it, it a little over the top. Parole officers in Indiana rarely come to your house. The most they usually to check out a place to live is call the location to see if it is ok for the person to live there.

Parole officers in this state don't have a lot of time to be over the top unless they have it in for you.

Also, must states aren't keen on accepting parolees. It just adds to the case work. I'm sure they were trying to dissuade the home owner from allowing him to move there.

This state is not too bad on parole. Parole is discouraged from sending people back for technical violations. The DOC is overcrowded. They also assess an offenders risk. If he is low risk, he will pretty much be left alone.

I'd call his counselor at the prison. I'd get ahold of parole in Indy. They will work with you and try to help unless you get a knuckle head.

Indiana CURE in Indy can help too. They might be able to help you find housing.

Good luck.