Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-27-2020, 02:03 AM

Default What minimum or camp should I request?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at 1-2 years for wire fraud. No prior criminal record at all, no history of violence or substance abuse, so I should qualify for minimum security or camp. After pleading guilty I didn't even have to post bail before sentencing. I live in Alaska, so any federal prison or camp is going to be a long way from home. With no geographical or family ties, I might as well request to go wherever life will be the best. Anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind working hard, I'd prefer weather that isn't too hot or too cold, and it would be nice to have some good educational opportunities or a decent library. Non-horrible food would be a plus. I know BOP will probably ignore any request I make, but it can't hurt to ask, right?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2020, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setnetter View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at 1-2 years for wire fraud. No prior criminal record at all, no history of violence or substance abuse, so I should qualify for minimum security or camp. After pleading guilty I didn't even have to post bail before sentencing. I live in Alaska, so any federal prison or camp is going to be a long way from home. With no geographical or family ties, I might as well request to go wherever life will be the best. Anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind working hard, I'd prefer weather that isn't too hot or too cold, and it would be nice to have some good educational opportunities or a decent library. Non-horrible food would be a plus. I know BOP will probably ignore any request I make, but it can't hurt to ask, right?
I heard decent things about FPC Duluth. The weather is probably a bit, if not the most comparable to Alaska.

But, as far as the educational opportunities... federal doesn't provide a lot of that. Libraries... eh... can't say a lot about those but there is a website called second chance books that you can get things, yes, to buy, but still. Also there's generally books floating around to borrow and of course family and friends can send books through publishers and Amazon.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:53 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,484 Posts

Duluth has consistently had a good reputation. Southern camps: Pensacola, Marianna, and Montgomery are all camps that are small and have good reputations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
EyesOpening (06-27-2020), Setnetter (06-30-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 09:01 AM
Donation Award 

Montgomery 👍I know a doctor friend that’s there now. Says it’s very “nice” (as these things go)...
Old 06-27-2020, 10:18 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,841 Times in 13,684 Posts

If your sentencing judge recommends a specific prison, the bop will at least "consider" it. I doubt that anything you or your lawyer requests will matter without the Judge's input.

Any minimum security bop camp is preferable to any security level at a FCI. The geographically closest minimum security camps to Alaska, except for the one camp located adjacent to the FCI Medium Security prison in Sheridan, Oregon, are all located in California. https://www.bop.gov/locations/map.jsp

To make a selection, be sure to study each potential designation location.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:42 AM

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll read the threads on the places that were suggested. I know any request I make is likely to get ignored, but it helps my state of mind to have some sort of a plan.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll read the threads on the places that were suggested. I know any request I make is likely to get ignored, but it helps my state of mind to have some sort of a plan.
Don't be discouraged. I've heard plenty of people who got what they requested
Old 06-28-2020, 06:56 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,484 Posts

Quote:

The current statistics show that about 70% of the judicial recommendations are granted. However, most have a specific reason for wanted a specific facility. Maybe you will have friends or relatives in the facility region you request.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-28-2020)