Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New York that do not fit into any other New York sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:48 AM
Just Ask Me:)

Exclamation Just Stop!

I have been a member of this forum for years and know just about everything there is to know about NYSDOCS. I have become tired of reading the posts, asking this and asking that. 99% of the people that are in prison are in prison because they went out of their way to commit a crime and they are being dealt with by being sent to prison.
Most people will not like what I have to say. But, this is what it is. I did 7 years upstate (I started the bid in the late 80's) and I was there for breaking the law, plain and simple. Anyone that cried about being locked up, I would tell them to look in the mirror and tell themselves that they did this to themselves. Period!

All this crying about how far the prisons are, how this sucks and how that sucks, if they have a chance of going to work release, etc;. The bottom line is the people in prison broke the law and are being punished accordingly.

The real "players" are the ones that don't break the law to stay ahead of the game, the real players are the ones that are not in prison for doing low rent foolish things.

I can see if a person is in prison because he was protecting his family and took it too far. Or a child rapist is caught molesting your child and you beat him to death with a bat. Other than that, there should be no excuse.

I have helped ALOT of people here on this forum with data, as I know NYSDOCS administrative law very well. But, now I'm tired of all the crying. I can understand having a loved one in prison and I can understand being upset because you can't be with him/her. But, this is the way it is, they should have thought twice before they broke the law. Prison is not designed to be pleasant for the inmate or the inmate's loved ones.

So, just try to understand the reality of the situation and just try to look at it from the outside looking in.

During the 1980's and before, drugs were very common, I could buy a bag of heroin faster than buying a pack of gum in my area (E. Harlem). Nowadays, you don't see people on the street corners pushing whatever. It is played out, so there should be no reason for anyone to be in prison in this day and age (unless he has been in for 15-20 years). This is 2009, who in their right mind would light up a stem to smoke crack? Yes, I LOVE Heroin. But, I have been clean from it with the help of methadone going on 17 years and now I drive a Cadillac, I have nice things, I have a great women and most importantly, I'm free!

Sorry about this post. But, we sometimes need a reality check. I still care about people and I still want to help. But, in this day and age, nobody should be getting locked up....unless they want to be locked up or they have no respect for our laws!

https://www.facebook.com/DAVENICENYC
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2009, 11:54 AM
On The Job 24/7
Donation Award 

Look i understand how you feel about this prison thing but you need to chill with all of that in your post. Very simple, I'm On The Job (cop) and i see your point and i have a friend who is locked up in Clinton Main APPU he was on the job as well. So you need to have some respect for the people on PTO and their situation. People come here for suport and you just let loose in your post. Just calm down you can have the thoughts but you can't put that in a post when people need suport
PEOPLE
TOO
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nymedic23 For This Useful Post:
DAVE NYC (06-25-2019), waltsboo (12-23-2009)
Old 09-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,833 Times in 11,078 Posts

Other than the basic fact that you've made it too black and white, I won't disagree with you, Dave. But when the prisons are used as a substitute for psychiatric hospitals and then underfunded, I start having problems with your point of view.

Because we have such an emphasis on 'punishment' we rob the money from our children's educations, from early intervention programs, from rehab programs all to put people in prison. Yep, they probably did something that wasn't right, that broke a law, but I doubt that prison is the best, or only, logical approach to correcting that.
DAVE NYC (06-25-2019), waltsboo (12-23-2009)
Old 09-26-2009, 01:13 PM
On The Job 24/7
Donation Award 

Well said
PEOPLE
TOO
Old 09-26-2009, 03:39 PM

I think you are entitled to feel anyway that you want...your opnion is solely yours..but this isnt what PTO is about! It's a support group! and it's to help loved ones with questions that they migt not get answered elsewhere. In addition to your post...yes most of the men and women incarcerated deal with their sentencing accordingly..but as a former inmate you should also know that our justice system is crooked as hell...and jaded to say the least...
So..kudos to you and your outlook on the situation..I'm glad you were able to serve your time and return home..but as far as the negativity..it isnt needed..
The Following User Says Thank You to MzSexii For This Useful Post:
DAVE NYC (06-25-2019)
Old 09-27-2009, 06:45 AM

For those of us who have dealt with NYSDOC for a long time, the questions and problems can seem old hat and just a repitition of what was asked over and over again. The problems seem to be the same, and the solutions are the same too.

However, it may be the first time a person is facing such a problem, or dealing with a new one. Also the entire NYSDOC situation may be new them and as foreign as landing on the moon.

You speak of "do the crime, serve the time", and I can understand your attitude. However, the majority of the problems, situations and complaints are not from the prisoners, but from their loved ones.

Someone bemoaning the fact that it is 6 hours away to visit is coming from someone who did not commit the crime, but is suffering and being punished too.

Having a loved one in prison is far different than having once been in prison and although both face similar issues the effect is different for both sides.

Your opinion is yours to voice, just as ours is ours to voice, but we have to respect each other and our opinions, while at the same time trying to understand and be empathetic to the opposing view.

Family and friends come here, and to other sites like this for support in dealing with having a person in prison and for information on how to deal with that and with the ensuing problems.

If repitition of those problems rankles you so much then perhaps it is time you distanced yourself from them. Without these problems and need for support there would be no need for this site or others like it.
DAVE NYC (06-25-2019), IMissTom (10-21-2009), lovelybaby (09-28-2009), Mommy4Two (09-28-2009), ricagem (06-26-2019), waltsboo (12-23-2009)
Old 09-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,376 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default if it is possible I agree with all of you

Yes, Dave, most people in prison do need to take a long look at their lives, accept that they made bad choices and work HARD to make a new life, take a new path.

But this is a site for those with the collateral damage-wives, girlfriends, Moms, sisters, children etc. We help each other through this journey. I do not know what I would have done without this site when my son was sentenced. I have never taken the attitude that he did not commit the crime and deserve to do time-most of us do not have that belief. But we may disgarree with sentence length, rehabilitation options, administrative decisions by DOCs and the practical issues like visiting, ever changing package rules, or just the financial and emotional burden of the process. We did NOT do the crime-yet we also do the time.

It is also a site for information! Trying to understand how DOCS works when you first have a loved one sentenced is mind boggling. And knowledge is power-it can help with the practical issues-but can also direct a loved one to the right programs. In my case, it helped me to identify inside job options for my son-which lead him to being a GED aid--and ultimately lead him to getting his Associates Degree while inside.

I really think you may have misunderstood the purpose of the site. Do some people think their loved one did nothing wrong and that they should not be in prison? Sure. But that is a pretty small miniroty. Most of us are trying to survive the DOCS experience and foster a path to THRIVE for ourselves and our loved ones, once released.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Momma Ann For This Useful Post:
brooks (09-30-2009), Damore (09-30-2009), DAVE NYC (06-25-2019), I*Heart*Harry (09-27-2009), JaneB (09-28-2009), ricagem (06-26-2019), sgillam (09-30-2009)
Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 AM

What a strange post Dave. You say that going to prison 20 years ago is understandable, but going to prison today means you are a horrible person, and your reasoning is that heroin was everywhere back then.. very strange position and argument. I think the heroin damaged your brain a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Impervius For This Useful Post:
ricagem (06-26-2019)
Old 09-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervius View Post
. I think the heroin damaged your brain a bit.
Heroin is the least damaging drug in the book. The only downfall is the withdrawal and the ways people have to break the law to obtain it. Beer is moire damaging to brain cells than Heroin.

Anyhow, I'm sorry that I vented. I feel very bad for "some" people that are locked up. But, I just get disgusted that people are still getting locked up in this day and age. Things have to change with the times (if that makes sense to anyone).

My good friend is doing 18 to life and I won't lie, I'm very disgusted that he is back in prison on his 5th state bid. He got pinched in 04' for armed robbery and shooting a women to support his habit. I take a little blame because I met him in Comstock in 88' or 89' and he had 3 state bids already. Anyhow, I went to the yard to obtain a few bags of junk and he wanted to try it. So, I gave him a snort and he liked it. I looked after him while we were locked up as he had no family. So, I would supply the food and all I wanted in return is him to wash the pots and I helped him ALOT. I got transferred to medium and ended up in Wallkill. So, I lost track of him. When I was released from Edgecombe, I got into a dispute with my so called parole officer and was sent to Bare Hill for a 12 month violation, I was snatched away from my family, my daughter was born while I was in the SHU. Low and behold I saw my friend in Bare Hill on a fresh bid (a skid bid, 2 to 4) and he was being released in a few months and he asked where to buy some junk, I warned him that it is habit forming. But, he did not listen. Sure enough he caught a habit and was involved in petty crime, caught another bid and I was sending him money, and other stuff, he got out again and got right back into what he was doing before he got pinched and he got the 18 to life. So, guess who is sending him things? Me. I will not lie, I am very mad at him for doing such foolish things to get 18 to life. But, I know what it can be like not to have anyone on the outside. So, I'm his only benefactor. During these tough times, it cost too much to be taking care of a friend in prison when you have your own problems in the free world. So, I guess that is what caused me to get heated on this thread. For that I'm very sorry.

I still want to help people deal with the corrupt prison system. I want to answer questions on how to get closer to home, work release, write ups, etc;.

So, please ignore my first post in this thread. I think everyone gets a little disgusted when a loved one or a family friend gets into trouble (over and over), when it could have been avoided. So, of course I care. But, I can still be disappointed at the same time. Does this make sense? I hope it does.

Kindest regards,

Dave~

Old 09-27-2009, 07:47 PM

Dave you say you don't get how people can be locked up this day and age but the reality is that the economy is terrible and people still do not have as much opportunity that there once was. My husband whom is one person that I know who is behind bars happens to have made a very comfortable living legit, we have 3 children together-he dosen't use drugs, sell them or even smoke we have everything people want in life, but reality is people make mistakes and although a lot of them should be punished the system is very corrupt. Most people that deserve to be behind bars are not, and a lot of people that are behind bars don't deserve it. My husband will tell you he f-ed up and is getting what he deserves. Although I feel different about the situation. The system has to really consider who they are placing behind bars, just cause someone fu-ks up , dosen't mean that there whole life has to be altered. Re-think what you say although there is some truth to it. I really feel bad for those that get realeased and wind up in a homeless shelter cause they do not have anywhere else to stay. What the hell do you think there going to do --- wind up right back. So who is really at fault here, there has to be a better method for these inmates to pick themselve up and get back on their feet again. A lot has to do with our messed up system which I feel is extremly corrupt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meandu22 For This Useful Post:
DAVE NYC (06-25-2019), Impervius (09-27-2009), JaneB (09-28-2009)
Old 09-27-2009, 08:28 PM

It's inhumane to put a person in a cage. The way the system treats people would get the system locked up for life.
Why are there so many minorities incarcerated ? The easy answer is that they break the law. Of course the law wasn't written by minorities, so I see it as a way to keep the business of jails solvent. It helps keep Upstate voters working.
Why are some drugs legal and others banned? It's hard to tell a poor person that a bag of weed is bad but it's OK to buy some beer and a pack of smokes. That will never change as long as people allow the real criminals to run our lives.
The Following User Says Thank You to pizzajohn For This Useful Post:
DAVE NYC (06-25-2019)
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 AM

Dave your apology was well accepted!! There is nothing wrong with venting and letting loose some steam..but there always a different way to approach things! My fiancee is locked up BECAUSE HE WOULDN'T SNITCH! Imagine how painful a pill that is for me to swallow..and for almost 3 years now..he has been gone because he chose to be loyal to these people that left him for dead...
Honestly..I understand what your saying..society does need to change, and people shouldn't be going to jail for the same things over and over...
But who are we.. as a people..to tell another human being what to..and not to do..it is solely there choice..they have to want different..you know the saying Dave.."You can take the horse to the water, but you can't make him drink"?
and you should feel bad for your friend as far as giving him some of that addicting drug! but you shouldn't feel bad AT ALL that he decided to keep up with his habit..didn't you decide that you wanted better and different for yourself? Well the same goes for him!
The Following User Says Thank You to MzSexii For This Useful Post:
DAVE NYC (06-25-2019)
Old 09-28-2009, 06:31 PM

Dave there is one more thing I would like to add: you stated that heroin is the least damaging to the brain but you are so incorrect. I work for physicians and can not tell you how many people are coming in trying to reverse the damage it has caused to thier brain. Heroin is the ONE drug that is addicting to the brain. It causes people to be completely hooked on the first couple of uses- without even wanting to be. There is no drug that is non- damaging to the brain. The biggest one happens to be heroin. Please do your research prior to posting something like that. Being on heroin (which i have never- but know many who have) causes you to steal to support your habbit as well as damages your brain cells and making your body believe it is in need of the drug-but of course you know this being that you were an addict!
The Following User Says Thank You to meandu22 For This Useful Post:
DAVE NYC (06-25-2019)
Old 09-28-2009, 07:18 PM

Thumbs up

Greetings Folks,

I know the economy has caused hard times on people, I sure as hell feel it and it's hard to make ends meet. But, I'm not going to 110th street to push drugs or do burglaries or do stick ups to balance my income.

I have been a powerseller on ebay and I even invented a graffiti "art" marker that is the best selling marker on the market, I am a huge supplier of my product and I fully stand by it. The reason I put my marker on the market is I no longer wanted to get in trouble again. My page for my marker is here,

www.nycmops.com

You can see other stores that I supply, by typing NYC MOP in google. People try to make them. But, they will not be like mine. It's because of my product that I was able to buy a new Cadillac.

Anyhow, I want to thank you guys for being understanding about my ranting. I should have approached the matter a different way. But, we all say things we don't really mean at times. If I did not care, I would not have driven to Auburn, Clinton, Greenhaven to see how my friend is doing. It is strange to visit the same prisons I was once locked up in.

My offer still stands for anyone that has questions or needs advice. Go to my profile and look at my older posts, you will find most of them informational.

Regards,
Dave~

@ Meandu22, I don't want to bicker about drugs on this forum. I have been using drugs 30 years and out of all the drugs I took, I can honestly say that Heroin does not cause the damage that Booze, Crack, Cocaine, Angel Dust, Speed, LSD, Benzos (pills) etc; do. The only downfall is the addiction part. But, once you kick, there are no ill effects. Unfortunately, every time I kicked, I always relapsed, that's why I'm on methadone and believe it or not, Methadone is more addictive than Heroin is, But, it has kept me healthy and out of prison. So, the methadone protocol works for me the best, everyone is different though. When I used all drugs but heroin, I was skinny and looked like hell. Then I did nothing but heroin and people that knew me my entire life would say I looked better than I have ever looked. I was healthy looking, I was eating well, I slept well and was fit as a fiddle and I maintained legal employmeant. That is because I was able to stay ahead of withdrawal. So, with my vast experience and with my Degree in clinical research I can say that heroin will not kill you as fast as cocaine, crystal meth,etc; (and the other substances I mentioned above) and we all know booze is the #1 killer combined. I have seen many heroin addicts die simply of old age. In fact, it slows down the aging process, the faster your heart beats, the older you look, that is why most heroin addicts look at least 10 years younger than they actually are (if they take care of themselves). Those Chinaman in the 18th century and earlier in the opium dens would live to 115 years old due to the opium. So, if you want to discuss drug abuse let's do it via PM, this way we can both learn things without looking foolish.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:44 PM

I do understand what you are saying but I feel no need to PM this conversation as it was started in an open forum. I do although feel the need to express my opion as well as some fact - again so no one looks foolish. I feel as if you are describing heroine as a drug that is not at all harmful yet helpful. You explain it to have had positive effects on you such as having looked in the best shape of your life -or slowing down your aging process although you say that you stopped the drug. Why? You also said that the reason you even started this forum is out of fustration from your good friend whom you started into the world of addiction. This is the same friend that is now serving an 18yr sentence due to this. I find it very hard to believe a drug that is not so harmful to you can still cause all this negative effects. All i am saying is that I would not post on how positive you believe this drug to be when you are at the same token expressing how it has caused you as well as your friend mulitple prison sentences. I do believe that some of what you have written is true and that you are obviously expierenced it things which I am thankfully not, so I can not comment on something I have no expierence with or knowledge on but I can however state the obivious common sense of the situation which I believe I have done. Be well and God bless you and all you do.
DAVE NYC (06-25-2019)
Old 09-28-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandu22 View Post
I do understand what you are saying but I feel no need to PM this conversation as it was started in an open forum. I do although feel the need to express my opion as well as some fact - again so no one looks foolish. I feel as if you are describing heroine as a drug that is not at all harmful yet helpful. You explain it to have had positive effects on you such as having looked in the best shape of your life -or slowing down your aging process although you say that you stopped the drug. Why? You also said that the reason you even started this forum is out of fustration from your good friend whom you started into the world of addiction. This is the same friend that is now serving an 18yr sentence due to this. I find it very hard to believe a drug that is not so harmful to you can still cause all this negative effects. All i am saying is that I would not post on how positive you believe this drug to be when you are at the same token expressing how it has caused you as well as your friend mulitple prison sentences. I do believe that some of what you have written is true and that you are obviously expierenced it things which I am thankfully not, so I can not comment on something I have no expierence with or knowledge on but I can however state the obivious common sense of the situation which I believe I have done. Be well and God bless you and all you do.
You are 100% correct in regard to Heroin not being good as a lifestyle if you can't stay ahead of the withdrawl. My friend was a very un-experienced drug user and I gave him all the warnings of the withdrawal factor of a opiate based drug like heroin. I had to work my way up to heroin. But, by then I was already a seasoned hustler. So, staying ahead of the withdrawal was possible for me...unlike my friend. As for Heroin itself, back about 20/30 years ago, England used to have Heroin maintenance programs, due to the fact that the drug was not damaging to your body (compaired to non-opiate based drugs). But, it had a damaging lifestyle because most would spend their time finding ways to obtain money to maintain their habit and stay ahead of the withdrawal. So, in a damaging scale, the drug itself is one of the least damaging drugs to use. But, on the other hand, the lifestyle to stay ahead of the withdrawal is damaging. But, if heroin was legal, like it was in Holland, the crime rate for heroin addicts would drop ten fold. That's why they hardly have a crime rate in Amsterdam. But, it seems we went off topic. The bottom line is that ALL drugs are damaging in their own way, weather it be to your body or by the way you live. I think we met each other half way on that point. So, let's stay on topic now. Does that sound fair?

Old 09-29-2009, 06:27 PM

Thanks for your response, and yes it is fair to say that it was not the topic of this forum. It just angered me when I know so many people whom's life were taken over by this drug. I am glad to hear that you are on the right path now with being sober. This life is to short to be dealing with added on problems besides the already natural ones that life has placed in our paths.Again good luck in all you do.
DAVE NYC (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:16 PM

I'm deeply sorry for my rant on this thread. When I started this thread, I was feeling overwhelmed and I chose the wrong venue and said things I didn't mean. Please disregard anything negative I wrote. I'm here to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to DAVE NYC For This Useful Post:
patchouli (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:35 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,935 Times in 7,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE NYC View Post
I'm deeply sorry for my rant on this thread. When I started this thread, I was feeling overwhelmed and I chose the wrong venue and said things I didn't mean. Please disregard anything negative I wrote. I'm here to help.
Dave-- it looks like you've been a PTO guest for a long time and this is the first I'm 'meeting' you. Hi!

I skimmed through the thread-- you know? We all have our biases. They're based on experience or the lack thereof. We grow when we recognize them and try to pass that knowledge on to someone else. That also means that we're going to say, do and perpetuate things that we may feel at the time, but later learn differently. Ahhh, being human.

I'm glad you're back. NY is a busy forum and if you have helpful information or advice, we greatly welcome it.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:06 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,046 Times in 16,166 Posts

Hi DAVE NYC Welcome back to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin