Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:22 PM

Default Special Visit Approval Confirmation

Hi,

I will be visiting out of state, & have emailed the warden about a special visit. What can I expect in terms of a response? Do they let you know if you are approved for special visit? If so, how long does it typically take? I need to book a plane & hotel, as well as rent a car, so obviously this requires a bit of advance planning. Would appreciate hearing your experiences - thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2019, 03:12 PM

Yes they will let you know if its approved or not. You can also call the Warden and ask about the request to follow up and stay on top of it. I would say give them a week, then start calling, i dont remember if they call you or not to tell you about the approval. Stay on top of them tho
The Following User Says Thank You to 3_thehardway For This Useful Post:
HWU (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 PM

The person you're planning to visit may need to complete an I-60 form to request the special visit. I figure every unit is different, and I don't know where you're visiting. I tried to get a special visit two different times: once by writing an actual letter and another time by emailing the warden. I never got a response and never got a special visit. My friend visited someone at the same unit, and they got their special visit but the notification of approval went to him (the inmate) after my friend wrote and the inmate made the request via I-60.

Good luck to you! I hope it works out!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,316 Posts

I don't think I ever got a confirmation. I just called and requested it on Monday and then called back and asked if it was approved on Friday.

But there was never any note when I checked in about it. I made the mistake of showing up the first time and just assuming they knew it was a special visit. Went through hell trying to get them to let me stay after 2 hours
Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 AM

Just to give everyone an update, I never got a response to the email & my LO turned in an I-60 & was told I need to call the unit. So I did. They said emails/letters are a no-go - they want you to call. I then found out you can only request a Special Visit the week before you want to come. So, for example, call the Monday before that Saturday. I asked if that’s even the case when traveling out of state, & was told “yes.” So I have to call back next week!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:44 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,417 Times in 1,842 Posts

Me blondie overlooked your update...