Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 PM

Default How can we get him placed in a private prison rather than a state prison?

Boyfriend went to prison for 1 count of gang, and 2 aggravated assaults. Would like to try and help him be placed in a private prison in Georgia. Is there anything I can do on the outside to help this process? Write to Warden? Governor? Any motions to file from attorney? I know he has to file with his counselor, but is there any way he can be pulled from diagnostic center and go straight to private prison? I know its asking a lot, but we would like him to go to a prison to do his time where he can take a lot of vocational classes and "use his time wisely". Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2019, 09:29 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,959 Times in 7,792 Posts

I hate to be so blunt, but why? I don't mean why do you want that, but rather why would be they be open to circumventing the usual process for him? You'd have to have some incredible circumstance to present that would require a chance in custody for him to present. Unless there's more to this, he is their ward now and he'll go through the process that they have laid out of him. I know it's hard, we'd all like to see this time be efficient and productive. If he has special needs, that might be different.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:02 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,065 Times in 16,175 Posts

sashaharris, how much do you know about private prisons? The word "private" may be misleading. They're often worse than a state facility, IMHO. As for wanting him to "use his time wisely," its his time to do. Its in his best interest to stay busy with programs / classes, a job, reading, and writing to loved ones, but its his choice to make. Doesn't really matter if he's in a private facility or a state facility as long as he looks for and takes advantage of opportunities for improvement

Since this isn't a legal issue, but a DOC one, I'll move your thread to the Georgia forum

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
GaReform (07-14-2019), GingerM (07-10-2019), Itshardtowait (07-19-2019), keywii (07-14-2019), miamac (07-09-2019), Ms Sunny (07-14-2019), yourself (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:07 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,959 Times in 7,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
sashaharris, how much do you know about private prisons? The word "private" may be misleading. They're often worse than a state facility, IMHO.
Yes x 1000.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
GingerM (07-10-2019), Itshardtowait (07-19-2019), patchouli (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:47 PM

I believe the state run prisons have vocational classes, GED stuff, and even vocational certification stuff now days. I havent heard anything good about private prisons ever. I hear they treat inmates like cattle at those. But thats just what Ive heard. Ive never heard of inmates getting to really pick or file motions about where they get placed though. What i tell mine, is all i know... Dont tell them you have bunch of problems, keep your head down mouth shut, dont get in any fights, dont piss off any co's mind your own business work and get good time so you can get the hell out of there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meg_fos89 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (07-10-2019), patchouli (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,954 Times in 2,248 Posts

There is absolutely ZERO benefit to being housed in a private prison and they are no different (and often worse than) regular prisons.

I know here in California that there are a few privately-run contracted facilities that are a little bit nicer than regular prisons. But the way they are nicer is that they house a lot fewer people (250-300) than the large prisons. They are actually more restrictive on inmate movement by virtue of how they are built and their smaller size, offer a much smaller yard, and to get into them, you have to have a long stretch of good behavior in the regular prison. You don't just get moved there by court order or by paying money, that particular private prison, which is considered a "Community Transitional Facility," is gotten into on a merit basis. And the facility is staffed by CDCR, not the outside agency, so it is unusual in that regard. Most private facilities are staffed by their own team of COs, not by the overseeing agency itself.

Most privately-run prisons are not like that. Most of them are as overcrowded and neglected as the publicly-run facilities. Guards are often paid less, have fewer benefits, and have less training. In states where prison guards have unions, the private prison guards do not have unions. The programs offered are, at best, the same or similar to what you'd find in a publicly-run prison.

The only exceptions to this sort of thing, in my experience and to my understanding, are merit-based facilities like the one I mentioned. I have a friend in a privately-run community corrections facility where she is on ankle monitor and allowed to leave for up to 12 hours at a time on certain passes (shopping for personal items, working a job once she gets to that stage of the program, going to outside NA/AA meetings,) but it took her 7+ years of absolutely exemplary conduct (above and beyond the typical "model inmate") to get there, and she had to get within 30 months of her "gate time" (release date) to qualify.

Again, specific programs I'm talking about are in California. I don't know if Georgia has anything like that. But if they do, I assure you, you don't just get placed there. You have to earn it.

Your boyfriend's best bet is to bear down, follow the rules, stay out of trouble, and if there are programs for him to participate in, he'll earn his way in. Bear in mind that everything about prison beyond your three meals, basic hygiene, basic medical care and a place to sleep is a privilege. Even visiting is a privilege. No inmate is above that.

Good luck to you both.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
GingerM (07-11-2019), patchouli (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM

Thanked 2,482 Times in 866 Posts

Georgia mom here! Private prisons? You'd better watch out for what you ask for. When our son left diagnostics in Coastal he was sent to Coffee (a private prison). Your boyfriend will more than likely be sent to a home prison his first year.
Fortunately our son was eligible to transfer at a year and being D/R free. Because private prisons can do what they want...Coffee dragged their rears for 6 months on my son's transfer and only when I called Atlanta DOC did we get action. He was immediately moved that same week to Carroll County a county camp. PTL!
Depending on your boyfriend's eligibility a county camp might be worth considering. County camps are smaller and they are a lot more desirable then being in a private prison or even a state prison. In a camp they have a work detail (non paying of course) but at least they are able to pass the time. Some good camps are Carrollton, Spalding, Coweta, Hall and Floyd.
Best wishes!

Last edited by Lordbew/us; 07-11-2019 at 08:54 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
GingerM (07-12-2019), Itshardtowait (07-19-2019), patchouli (07-11-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:30 PM

Thanked 1,758 Times in 702 Posts

I do know that Phillips prison had college classes being taught there. Here is a link to the college that was doing classes & the prison locations. https://perimeter.gsu.edu/gsupep/

Private prisons aren't always better. There are no "upgrades" in prison.My son was at both & they both had issues. Reach out to an advocacy group that goes to the prisons & ask advice. A good one is the National Incarceration Association. The founder's son has been recently released & she visits many of the prisons. http://joinnia.com. Scroll down to the bottom of their page & their contact info is there. They are based in GA so the info they give you will be up to date.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 09:41 PM

Thanked 1,758 Times in 702 Posts

I talked to my son this evening & asked about private prisons vs regular state ones. He said private prisons have a/c (a BIG plus), usually better food & more vocational programs. It just depends. As far as getting into one, check to see if there is one closest to his home location. He may have to go to another place first & then request a transfer but there needs to be a reason for the request.

Prison is designed for punishment & not rehabilitation even though most who go to prison eventually get released. It would be nice if the punishment was losing your freedom & the rest of the sentence focused on changing behaviors & preparing for a new life on release. Maybe that would help slow down the revolving door of release & return. What they're doing now sure isn't working!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
GingerM (07-16-2019), Lordbew/us (07-19-2019), patchouli (07-14-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:13 PM

My experience has been that there is very little vocational training going on at any
Georgia prison. It makes a nice photo op to show a class of 30 graduating. Then you notice there are 1800 other guys just sitting in cells or going out on work details.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to georgiagrama For This Useful Post:
GaReform (Yesterday), Lordbew/us (07-19-2019), miamac (07-19-2019), patchouli (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 06:49 PM

Thanked 2,482 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiagrama View Post
my experience has been that there is very little vocational training going on at any
georgia prison. It makes a nice photo op to show a class of 30 graduating. Then you notice there are 1800 other guys just sitting in cells or going out on work details.

georgiagrama so very true! It's a facade! It really is laughable #30 graduates out of thousands of idol georgia inmates.

A few prisons do offer vocational programs but the inmate will have to apply and first be considered. It's slim pickin' .... You just don't sign up!

Shame on the georgia prison system it needs reform badly!