Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Colorado that do not fit into any other Colorado sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:33 PM

Question Canteen changes and paying for classes?

Hi Everyone!

I just have a couple questions. Do they change canteen in the summertime? My friend said they only have it once per month--has anyone else heard this? He also said there are a couple classes he has to pay for (like $200 for supplies!). The "self improvement" type classes. I think this one is 7 Habits or something like that. Have any of you run into fees for certain classes that are that high? I'm just trying to double check...

Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingTree View Post
Hi Everyone!

I just have a couple questions. Do they change canteen in the summertime? My friend said they only have it once per month--has anyone else heard this? He also said there are a couple classes he has to pay for (like $200 for supplies!). The "self improvement" type classes. I think this one is 7 Habits or something like that. Have any of you run into fees for certain classes that are that high? I'm just trying to double check...

Thanks so much!!
Hello. Canteen is sold weekly. Catalog (specialty items) are sold monthly. This is not a change. There is no charge for classes. Sometimes they are asked to get special supplies but they never cost more than $5. My husband was a 7 habits facilitator and i can assure you this class was free.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (06-05-2017), WishingTree (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 06:11 PM

I can't thank you enough!! You've been incredibly helpful!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:35 PM

My incarcerated friend is telling his mom that he needs $205 for toiletries because canteen has to be ordered on the first Tuesday of every month. Umm...why am I finding that difficult to believe?! There's no way their weekly spending limit is that high (especially for toiletries). I feel like something's clearly off. But I'm having a hard time sifting through what's really going on and knowing how to support/help my friend and his family. This is really difficult!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingTree View Post
My incarcerated friend is telling his mom that he needs $205 for toiletries because canteen has to be ordered on the first Tuesday of every month. Umm...why am I finding that difficult to believe?! There's no way their weekly spending limit is that high (especially for toiletries). I feel like something's clearly off. But I'm having a hard time sifting through what's really going on and knowing how to support/help my friend and his family. This is really difficult!
Maybe he is trying to get something off catalog. A TV does cost around $200. On the flip side, alot of guys get in the mix and end up owing for gambling or drugs. There is a weekly max they can spend on canteen it varies by facility. The max at any facility is $100.

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
WishingTree (06-05-2017)