Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Colorado that do not fit into any other Colorado sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:52 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,612 Times in 4,042 Posts
Default Clemency commutation in Colorado Doc is an attorney advisable?

My loved one is looking at applying for clemency commutation.He meets all of the criteria. He has the information about the process, but is wondering does he need an attorney or can he do it himself?

There appears to be no hearing involved the paperwork goes to a board and then to the State Governor if all the criteria are met.

If an attorney can add value then he would consider it.

Has anyone got any experience of the process?

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2018, 02:25 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,472 Times in 7,511 Posts

He always has the right to self representation and does not NEED an attorney to apply.

What will an attorney do?
Assuming that the attorney handles a lot of clemency and related petitions and documents
1. Can let the client know what usually passes muster for clemency with the current administration. Meeting the basic requirements is not the same as having the actual ability to get clemency. As the governor's opinion about clemency can vary widely from state to state and governor to governor, it is very helpful to know what is actually working, if anything (yes, there are states that do not grant clemency because of the political stance of the governor). So - inform you of the political climate and the basic requirements for that political climate, and not the general basic requirements, which are two very different things.

2. Help you present strongly, not just properly, so that the qualities that make for a good clemency chance are highlighted and remain in the mind of those doing the first review of the packet. If the governor is more apt to grant clemency to an honorably discharged vet, then you bet that will be front and center, highlighted, and repeated.

3. Help you keep out things that really should be kept out and make sure you include things that really should be kept in. We are not good judges of ourselves so having somebody look at the supplements and supporting documents with a critical eye can really help.

4. Make sure that things are professional throughout.

This never guarantees success, but it will prevent unnecessary failure.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
maytayah (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,612 Times in 4,042 Posts

Thank you that makes a lot of sense.The current Governor of Colorado seems to take Clemency applications seriously and grants a good proportion. Although he is term limited and cannot seek re election so there will be a new governor by the time my loved one applies.
We will have to check the political climate around the new governor.My LO wasnt a vet but he was a young juvenile so a very different scenario.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
xolady (04-04-2018)