Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts

Thank you South Bay. I got a silly question are we allowed to email them. Cause I do prefer emails than phone with these people.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM

Thanked 1,500 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by traviesita View Post
Thank you South Bay. I got a silly question are we allowed to email them. Cause I do prefer emails than phone with these people.
I email them all the time since I prefer email over letters or calls....it gives me a record of the conversation so no one can say later that they did not say something. I sent an email to the head honcho for parole regarding my husbands out-of-county transfer and was surprised that he responded to me within an hour and got the ball rolling for us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidsGirl4Ever For This Useful Post:
noboundries (11-02-2009), traviesita (10-14-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 03:21 PM

I'm sure when they get my email they will be scratching their heads. How did this crazy wife get this. lol
Old 10-14-2009, 03:22 PM

Default Contact with public servants by email

Quote:
Originally Posted by traviesita View Post
We the People are not only able to send email messages to CDCR employees, but also legally entitled to expect and receive appropriate responses from the CDCR and all other government agencies. This is based on the following:

The names, telephone numbers, and email addresses of public servants (including employees of the CDCR) in California are a matter of public record under the California Public Records Act (CPRA). The opening sentence of the CPRA states:

In enacting this chapter, the Legislature, mindful of the right of individuals to privacy, finds and declares that access to information concerning the conduct of the people's business is a fundamental and necessary right of every person in this state.”

Several CA courts have later held that:

"Implicit in the democratic process is the notion that government should be accountable for its actions. In order to verify accountability, individuals must have access to government files. Such access permits checks against the arbitrary exercise of official power and secrecy in the political process."

Attorney General Jerry Brown and the state Department of Justice have previously determined that agency directories containing employee names, job titles or positions, work telephone numbers, and officially issued email addresses are a matter of public record in California subject to disclosure under the CPRA. In light of this policy, the CDCR released their Employee Directory to me, and by extension, to all other members of the public in line with CA Government Code section 6254.5, which states:

Notwithstanding any other provisions of the law, whenever a state or local agency discloses a public record which is otherwise exempt from this chapter, to any member of the public, this disclosure shall constitute a waiver of the exemptions specified in Sections 6254, 6254.7, or other similar provisions of law.

Thus, once a public record is disclosed to one member of the public, it becomes disclosable to all other members of the public. Furthermore, the CDCR’s own website contains instructions as to the correct method for members of the press to contact certain CDCR employees by email.

“For those who wish to email specific individuals in the Office of Public and Employee Communications, please put a period (.) between the names and then address the email to @cdcr.ca.gov.

For example, Joseph Smith would be joseph.smith@cdcr.ca.gov.”

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/News/Press_Office_Contacts.html

Under longstanding CA court decisions, the right of access to public records is no greater for members of the press than it is for members of the general public. Thus, any CDCR policy indicating the press may contact the CDCR via email is equally applicable to the general public.

In addition, the CDCR maintains lofty goals about their purpose and mission, which every concerned citizen (including members of the media) should seek to learn about, enforce and publicize through email correspondence or by other means:

“California correctional facilities and programs are operated at public expense for the protection of society. The public has a right and a duty to know how such facilities and programs are being operated. It is the policy of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) to make known to the public through the news media all relevant information pertaining to operations of the department and facilities.”

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/News/Media_Policies_Adult.html

Lastly, there are the inherent added benefits that emails have over phone conversations, the greatest of which includes the fact that a permanent record is produced. Probably everyone in life has suffered the occasion where the other party says one thing on the phone, but later maintains that such conversation never took place (or that certain issues were not discussed). With email, there is a record to consult and to forward on to others should a question arise about the accuracy or content of the email or policies stated therein.

So thanks for the non-silly question traviesita, as it gave me an opportunity to highlight laws and regulations pertaining to email and contact with the CDCR specifically, and access to California public records in general.

South Bay Scott

Last edited by South Bay; 10-14-2009 at 04:21 PM..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to South Bay For This Useful Post:
cpad (10-19-2009), D4C (10-19-2009), DavidsGirl4Ever (10-15-2009), kima (10-14-2009), NO1BUT*US (10-15-2009), sidewalker (07-04-2010), traviesita (10-15-2009), Tricksie2645 (12-31-2009)
Old 10-15-2009, 11:16 AM

Thank You VERRRRRRy Much South bay for this lesson.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Missing my King

I had sent an email to my hubby's counselor because he was transfered for court when he no longer had any court hearings to attend. I tried calling but we all know that doesn't always work! I received a call the following week from the supervisor of the counselors and she was upset that I had sent the e-mail!!! She told me that it was an INAPPROPRIATE way to contact her counselors and that I was going to be investigated to see how I was able to access their website and get the e-mail address.!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT????!!!!! Well I was in shock and forgot her name but I told her she was full of it, because it was public record and that anyone can obtain that info. Just thought I would share my story. I wish I remembered her name that way I could e-mail her what South Bay wrote above! LOL

He's Home!!!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NO1BUT*US For This Useful Post:
DavidsGirl4Ever (10-15-2009), noboundries (11-02-2009), South Bay (10-15-2009), traviesita (10-15-2009)
Old 10-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Thanked 1,500 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1BUT*US View Post
I had sent an email to my hubby's counselor because he was transfered for court when he no longer had any court hearings to attend. I tried calling but we all know that doesn't always work! I received a call the following week from the supervisor of the counselors and she was upset that I had sent the e-mail!!! She told me that it was an INAPPROPRIATE way to contact her counselors and that I was going to be investigated to see how I was able to access their website and get the e-mail address.!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT????!!!!! Well I was in shock and forgot her name but I told her she was full of it, because it was public record and that anyone can obtain that info. Just thought I would share my story. I wish I remembered her name that way I could e-mail her what South Bay wrote above! LOL
That is to funny. CDCr's email address for their employees is not hard to figure out as long as you have the persons first and last name. I would like to know how she thought it was inappropriate for you to email the counselor or maybe she didn't want anything in writing that could come back and bite her in the a$$....I think her phone call to you was inappropriate....I wish you remembered her name so we could all email her and remind her that she works for US!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidsGirl4Ever For This Useful Post:
NO1BUT*US (10-15-2009), South Bay (10-15-2009), traviesita (10-15-2009)
Old 10-15-2009, 12:47 PM

Wow, that is exactly what I thought they would pull. lol. As it is at the prison where my husband is even extensions are a 'hmm, why do you need it'. These gente are crazy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traviesita For This Useful Post:
DavidsGirl4Ever (10-15-2009), NO1BUT*US (10-15-2009)
Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 PM

Where does it state it is inappropriate? Everything they do is policy and procedure, so where is the policy that states that this was inapropriate? Investigated by who and for what a lot of people think they can do this and that and noone will wil make them be held responsible i think that is why there is lot of corruption , the invincible type of thinking and maybe because they have the dmv put everything confidential, for security because they work in a dangerous area they were surprised HUH, what? how did you know how to get my e-mail!
The Following User Says Thank You to Joy Juego For This Useful Post:
South Bay (10-23-2009)
Old 10-19-2009, 10:47 PM
~amor a todas horas~

South Bay~Thanks for sharing all your hard work...you're the best!
LWOPWIFE (04-24-2014)
Old 10-20-2009, 05:51 AM

These experiences are holding me back from emailing my bf's counsellor....dont know what to do...really want to find out if he's seen her yet...
Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

Thanked 2,165 Times in 860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1BUT*US View Post
I have been emailing CO's, counselors, doctors, Matt Cate, etc. that work for CDCR for about 6 months now. I have never had ONE of them tell me it was inappropriate. I have had them ask how I got their email address - and I just told them I have the master list for CDCR personnel as it is public record.

IF ANYONE runs into what NO1BUT*US did, be sure to get a name and I will give you the right people in Sacramento to contact. The officials at my son's prison have learned that if they will not deal with my issues - I go directly to Sacramento - and they sure don't like it when the chit starts rolling downhill LOL
Old 10-20-2009, 07:26 PM
forever his

Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,199 Posts

Thank you South Bay the info has helped tremendously

Property of Negrete!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:03 PM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 18,160 Times in 7,204 Posts

I don't see why they would have to investigate how someone got a staff member's email. I believe it's the same formula for all employees.

First name.last name @cdcr.ca.gov

Pretty damned easy to figure it out if you have first and last names.

Last edited by Terry; 10-31-2009 at 05:05 PM..
Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 PM

can someone send me this directory pls....
Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM

Default may i please have you email that directory to me?

I was wondering if I can get you to email me a copy of that directory? Should I put my email address here or??
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Bay View Post
An Excel formatted copy of a 2008 CDCR employee directory, with full names, job titles or positions, work phone numbers, and official email addresses of over 35,000 CDCR employees, is now available. The directory is legal to possess or pass on, as it was obtained directly from the CDCR pursuant to the California Public Records Act. Most of the names and email addresses are still current, although some information dates back to 2006, thus some employees may now have different job titles or may have changed institutions.

The directory is extremely useful when trying to contact CDCR officials by phone or email, as it may be searched by various methods including name, job title, institution acronym, email address, or institution area code and prefix. In addition, the standard Excel sorting features may be used to further arrange the directory.

Due to the PTO prohibition on Excel file uploads, Im unable to post the directory on PTO. Anyone wishing to obtain a copy of it may send me a pm with your email address, and I will send the directory to you as an email attachment. Alternatively, if anyone knows of a way to post it on PTO, please let me know.

South Bay Scott
Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 PM

U said send u a pm with my email addy. does that mean send you a private message? Sorry do not know what pm stands for. Don't laugh lol.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 PM

Default Yes, send South Bay a private Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohea2009 View Post
U said send u a pm with my email addy. does that mean send you a private message? Sorry do not know what pm stands for. Don't laugh lol.
You've got it right. Just send South Bay a private message (if you click on his name, it will give you several choices, one is a private message!) We've all had to 'learn the lingo'... but just ask if you don't understand something, no one is going to laugh, we've all been there! Take care, and I'm sure South Bay will get back to you shortly...
Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohea2009 View Post
I was wondering if I can get you to email me a copy of that directory? Should I put my email address here or??
Welcome to PTO. We won't laugh AT you, but sure hope at some point we can laugh with you.

We were all new once - so don't worry if you don't understand something - just ask and someone will come along and explain it or tell you where you can go to find the answer.

We are here to support each other ........... and let me tell you, it would be hard to find a more understanding, caring forum!!!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:32 AM
UserNamesRCrazy
Donation Award 

Anyone thought about a free web site/blog at wordpress.com to post the pdf ???
I would love a copy! Can someone please send it to me?
I believe you can attach the file in a pm, right?
If not, please PM me if you have the PDF and I'll give you my email addy.
THANK YOU!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM

Default CDC Employee Directory now in ZIP Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesRCrazy View Post
Anyone thought about a free web site/blog at wordpress.com to post the pdf ???
I would love a copy! Can someone please send it to me?
I believe you can attach the file in a pm, right?
If not, please PM me if you have the PDF and I'll give you my email addy.
THANK YOU!
The Employee Directory is in Excel format, not PDF. The file is a conglomeration of information apparently inputted by various CDCR employees using different information in various columns, and thus will not easily convert to PDF format (or so I'm told).

But since you (and others), have raised the issue of posting it online, I did some further checking of the PTO site and found that zipped files are allowed, so I zipped up the Excel file and it's now available here. Just download it and double click to unzip it.

South Bay Scott
Attached Files
File Type: zip CDCR Employees - Sorted by Last Name.zip (950.5 KB, 236 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to South Bay For This Useful Post:
California_Mom (01-03-2010), Cubana (01-04-2010), Joy Juego (02-17-2010), kima (01-03-2010), LOVINGBREED (06-15-2010), thydot (11-09-2010), waitin0for0him (02-01-2010)
Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,699 Posts

Thanks, S., you rock!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 04:49 AM

Hello please send this directory to me I need it for a suit against the state prisons employees
Old 06-15-2010, 07:03 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscanlan9 View Post
Hello please send this directory to me I need it for a suit against the state prisons employees
This is an old directory from 2008. I'm trying to get the new one now. But for now, you can get as much info as you can here:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=384892
Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Top Knotch
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,258 Posts

can someone please send me that i cant seem to open it.

LOVING MY INMATE