Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:05 PM
HisLove

Default Centinela or Calipatria State prisons: What is a level 4 prison like?

My husband's counselor told him hes most likely going to one of those prison's. He will be level 4. What is a level 4 prison like? Anyone have any in sight on these prison's?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2018, 11:01 PM

My husband was at Calipat and currently is at Centinela. He was a level 4 when he was at Calipat for 3 yrs then his level dropped to down to a level 3 now. Guess he has a lil more privileges now. We don't talk much anymore so I really can't say much on it. I don't visit anymore or take many calls either. Maybe someone else can come along that had more info. Sorry
Mels5 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 PM
HisLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis213 View Post
My husband was at Calipat and currently is at Centinela. He was a level 4 when he was at Calipat for 3 yrs then his level dropped to down to a level 3 now. Guess he has a lil more privileges now. We don't talk much anymore so I really can't say much on it. I don't visit anymore or take many calls either. Maybe someone else can come along that had more info. Sorry
When he first got there what was it like for him? If you remember. Were u approved while he was in reception to visit and did it carry over to calipat or did u have to re apply? Any info is helpful. Thank you
Old 03-19-2018, 11:47 PM

He never got a job there at Calipat he basically just tried to keep busy could only call certain times and only once a month I believe. He's on a SNY to so I'm sure that accounted for that. I got approved when he was in Wasco but we didn't know that so I reapplied when he got to Calipat. It follows where they go. He was bored most of the time and only got dayroom during the weekdays not on the weekends. Now that he's at Centinela he programs has a job barely got a payslot. He does a lot of classes milestones I think. He keeps busy and I'm sure he has a few penpals since I don't visit our write lol. That has always been him lol but once he got to programming he's better.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:02 AM
HisLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis213 View Post
He never got a job there at Calipat he basically just tried to keep busy could only call certain times and only once a month I believe. He's on a SNY to so I'm sure that accounted for that. I got approved when he was in Wasco but we didn't know that so I reapplied when he got to Calipat. It follows where they go. He was bored most of the time and only got dayroom during the weekdays not on the weekends. Now that he's at Centinela he programs has a job barely got a payslot. He does a lot of classes milestones I think. He keeps busy and I'm sure he has a few penpals since I don't visit our write lol. That has always been him lol but once he got to programming he's better.
Really only phone calls once a month! That sucks. Hopefully it's different on the phone's in the general pop. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:59 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,834 Times in 14,077 Posts

If you are already approve to visit, the approval should follow wherever he goes.
You might have to update it but they do that at about the 2 yr mark.
You can still visit you just need to update any changed info.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Mels5 (03-20-2018), Sarianna (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM

A level 4 is really what he makes of it. I don't think there's any one answer that applies to everyone. Is it more violent? Sure, but his involvement or non involvement in gangs really determines what his time on a level 4 will be like... My husband is on a level 4...at times it's easy, calm for months and other times it's crazy for weeks on end....We were at Calipat a couple years ago...honestly every facility has it's ups and down, ebbs and flows....he's just got to roll with it... Mainline or SNY also effects the type "activities" on the yard...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AshB2020 For This Useful Post:
Mels5 (03-21-2018), Patrickj (03-31-2018), Sarianna (03-30-2018), sidewalker (03-22-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 11:59 AM

My loved one has been at Calipat for about 2 years now. Not sure what it was like when he transferred there because I wasn't in contact with him at that time. He has been in for over 25 years and at least 10 different facilities. I can tell you he does not like Calipat. He says they have the worst food he has had at any facility, and the heat during the summer is unbearable. There is a lot of activity and they are on lockdown frequently. Luckily they generally still allow visiting even if your yard is on lockdown. For instance, about 2 weeks ago a guard was stabbed on C yard. They locked down the whole prison but I believe only C yard lost their visits for 1 weekend after the incident. Phone time is difficult, if he doesn't have a job he will only get 1 call a month. Even with a job my LO is extremely lucky to get 2 calls a week. But there are many times I don't hear from him for at least 10 days.
The Following User Says Thank You to PTAshlee For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 12:07 PM
HisLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAshlee View Post
My loved one has been at Calipat for about 2 years now. Not sure what it was like when he transferred there because I wasn't in contact with him at that time. He has been in for over 25 years and at least 10 different facilities. I can tell you he does not like Calipat. He says they have the worst food he has had at any facility, and the heat during the summer is unbearable. There is a lot of activity and they are on lockdown frequently. Luckily they generally still allow visiting even if your yard is on lockdown. For instance, about 2 weeks ago a guard was stabbed on C yard. They locked down the whole prison but I believe only C yard lost their visits for 1 weekend after the incident. Phone time is difficult, if he doesn't have a job he will only get 1 call a month. Even with a job my LO is extremely lucky to get 2 calls a week. But there are many times I don't hear from him for at least 10 days.
Really. Ughh im so worried. Are the phone calls once a month because of the level 4 or is it the prison?
Old 03-29-2018, 12:14 PM

That I really don't know. I just know he tells me there are a ton of people and only 4 phones available. They have sign up sheets for phone time that they pass around but the good times fill up so quick. He is a porter and generally makes his calls when he is out at work and notices no one is on the phone. But he says some cops are very very strict about it and will only let you use it during your sign up time, no switching or anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PTAshlee For This Useful Post:
Mels5 (03-29-2018), Sarianna (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 12:24 PM
HisLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAshlee View Post
That I really don't know. I just know he tells me there are a ton of people and only 4 phones available. They have sign up sheets for phone time that they pass around but the good times fill up so quick. He is a porter and generally makes his calls when he is out at work and notices no one is on the phone. But he says some cops are very very strict about it and will only let you use it during your sign up time, no switching or anything.
Oh okay. I always thought there qould be less activity in a higher lever because there would be more security. I guess i was wrong. Ughh
Old 03-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,578 Times in 6,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels5 View Post
Oh okay. I always thought there qould be less activity in a higher lever because there would be more security. I guess i was wrong. Ughh
There used to be less programming on 4s because of security (classes, employment) but that is slowly changing. As far as the phones, they're always popular regardless of the level. When mine was at Calipat he had a lot of access to calls. Too much, actually. Lol It depends on the staff at the time and how they decide to run it. They do have a sign up sheet but if the staff are laid back, they can also jump on it any time there's an open phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Mels5 (03-29-2018), Sarianna (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 03:30 PM
HisLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
There used to be less programming on 4s because of security (classes, employment) but that is slowly changing. As far as the phones, they're always popular regardless of the level. When mine was at Calipat he had a lot of access to calls. Too much, actually. Lol It depends on the staff at the time and how they decide to run it. They do have a sign up sheet but if the staff are laid back, they can also jump on it any time there's an open phone.
Thanks. I guess i won't know how it's going to be until he gets to wherever he's going to go.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:32 PM
HisLove

Where can I find the store list? I would like to get an idea on how much im going to be spending on his first package
Old 03-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Where can I find the store list? I would like to get an idea on how much im going to be spending on his first package
Store or package company?

Store is the commissary they shop from inside, packages we order through outside vendors. You can find those here.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Mels5 (03-29-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 02:48 AM

Quote:
My husband's counselor told him hes most likely going to one of those prison's. He will be level 4. What is a level 4 prison like? Anyone have any in sight on these prison's?
My fiancé is being transferred to caliphate. I will be visiting 4/1/18 he arrives there 3/31/18 well be showing online but he's there now its just not updated. it took two days to move prisons. he stayed the night in chino. I will let you what my exp. there is.
The Following User Says Thank You to krystle littlej For This Useful Post:
Mels5 (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 02:56 AM
HisLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystle littlej View Post
My fiancé is being transferred to caliphate. I will be visiting 4/1/18 he arrives there 3/31/18 well be showing online but he's there now its just not updated. it took two days to move prisons. he stayed the night in chino. I will let you what my exp. there is.
Okay thank u. That'll be real helpful! Btw if my hubby goes there and If you can carpool one day lmk
Old 03-31-2018, 10:53 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystle littlej View Post
You may want to call and make sure he'll be eligible for visits upon arrival. Typically they have a 7-10 day orientation period before they're allowed visitation. It can be shorter, but I hate to see people make the drive and then be told no.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-10-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:59 AM
his one and only wife

Good morning, my husband just came home. He did this last term at Centinela. Keep in mind, there are other level 4 prisons besides Centinela and Calipatria. There is also High Desert, Corcoran, New Folsom etc. As far as Centinela mainline, our experience there was ok as far as prisons go. My visiting approval from reception did follow me, but when he got there he wasn't allowed a contact visit until he was out of orientation status which took about a week. While on orientation he can't use the phone. Once he is off if he hasn't been assigned to a job or education his status will be A2B (involuntarily unassigned) and he will be able to use the phone once a month. Once he gets assigned to something he will be A1A and can use the phone every day. Level 4 means they are in the cell a lot. The program on B and C which are the level 4 mainlines is that on even numbered days the top tier gets let out for morning yard and they get night dayroom. So two opportunities to use the phone but the phone sign ups go fast. There are 4 phones in each building 2 on the black side 2 on the Mexican side. and there is usually 8 phone slots they can sign up for in total. Which isn't very many considering there are about 100 guys on the top tier and 100 guys on the bottom tier of each building. On those even numbered days the bottom tier gets afternoon yard/dayroom. On odd numbered days the program is opposite. Bottom tier gets morning yard and night dayroom and top tier gets afternoon/yard and dayroom. They do burn them for their program pretty frequently. So don't be sad if you don't get a call every day. Centinela rarely goes on lockdown, and if they do the longest is 2 weeks. Visiting is very crowded and there is a lot of terminations. If you end up at centinela join the facebook groups. There is a lot of information and you can get visit appointments from the other girls. Let me know if you end up there and have more questions.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:06 AM
HisLove

Thank you so much for all this information but it look's like my hisband will be going to calipat. I was kind of hoping for centinela. Thank you tho.