Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Illinois

Old 08-25-2012, 08:17 AM

Default Any advice about Vandalia?

My man was suppose to stay at a work camp at statesville but this AM I found out he was transferred to vandalia!? Thanks Jamie
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 AM

I think Vandalia is for women in Missouri
Old 08-25-2012, 11:11 AM

guess they have a mens with same name....however sorry i dont know anything about the mens
Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Yeah thats OK it is the one in IL. It is a men's prison! They also have a work camp.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:54 AM

This is my husbands second time there. The first time he said it wasn't bad. This time he says it's horrible. He says it's because it's too overcrowded, and inmates who aren't giving a damn are getting away with almost anything, because they are way under staffed to the amount of inmates there. Stealing in his housing unit is really bad, he has told me. Most men are waking up to all their comminsary items gone. This is happening on a daily basis. It's not a here and there thing anymore. He says the gangs are just as bad. And because of so much going on and not enough CO's to keep up with it all, they are becoming pretty crabby. My husband says the best thing he can do for himself is to pretty much stay the heck out of everyone's way, and keep to himself and continue going to his classes and church. My husbands unit has one TV he says, but because it's so loud in there he can't hear it, so he don't even try to catch a tv program. He did by himself a radio/tape player so that keeps him occupied when not at yard, classes, church, or writing me.

The Following User Says Thank You to RdRunner75 For This Useful Post:
Serenity83 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 AM

Wink Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRunner75 View Post
This is my husbands second time there. The first time he said it wasn't bad. This time he says it's horrible. He says it's because it's too overcrowded, and inmates who aren't giving a damn are getting away with almost anything, because they are way under staffed to the amount of inmates there. Stealing in his housing unit is really bad, he has told me. Most men are waking up to all their comminsary items gone. This is happening on a daily basis. It's not a here and there thing anymore. He says the gangs are just as bad. And because of so much going on and not enough CO's to keep up with it all, they are becoming pretty crabby. My husband says the best thing he can do for himself is to pretty much stay the heck out of everyone's way, and keep to himself and continue going to his classes and church. My husbands unit has one TV he says, but because it's so loud in there he can't hear it, so he don't even try to catch a tv program. He did by himself a radio/tape player so that keeps him occupied when not at yard, classes, church, or writing me.
Thank you for the feedback! The letter I got from him was talking about maybe going to the work camp! He said its hot and crazy down there but he won't tell me much else! I know he has been going to church and his classes which is good for him! Plus I know its been almost a month we are waiting for my number to be approved on his list! I hope it all gets better! I hope your husband is OK!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM

Yeah he is ok. Thanks for asking! I hope everything gets approved for you soon. Do you have your phone set up yet? You can do that before his list is approved and you can even load money to the phone account (if you're going pre-pay), so when he is able to call everything is ready for you to just press option 5 to accept and talk away! Being as you said it's been almost a month it should be very soon. I called his counselor on the second full day of him being there, and spoke with her about expiditing the phone list at least, and she did. We had our calls in 4 days of him getting there, but I had to explain to her the urgent need to be able to speak to him, and I was able to verify the urgency. From what I hear and from what she told me is standard, is usually 3-4 weeks for them to get their list approved. Like I said mine has been down before so he already had his pin # just needed the approval. Apparentley it don't change either like their inmate # don't either. Mine tried for work camp there, but he takes an anti depressant so that disqualified him, but at least that didn't hold him back from working on himself. I'm proud of him for what he is doing for himself in there!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:57 PM

Default Vandalia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity83 View Post
My man was suppose to stay at a work camp at statesville but this AM I found out he was transferred to vandalia!? Thanks Jamie
My husband has been in Vandalia for 8 months. There is no food, it is unsanitary, they get showers maybe once a week. They are overcrowded and even have inmates sleeping on a gym floor because a roof caved in during a recent storm. They will not work with you to make life easier nor will anyone be talking to him about anything. They are not honest with you. The visitation room is nice and most of the guards there are nice. However, you won't be allowed more than a kiss and a hug when you arrive and when you leave. They are very strict on what you wear. When he calls, it will likely be very loud in the background.
If he gets into the work camp, it will be better for him.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher1 View Post
My husband has been in Vandalia for 8 months. There is no food, it is unsanitary, they get showers maybe once a week. They are overcrowded and even have inmates sleeping on a gym floor because a roof caved in during a recent storm. They will not work with you to make life easier nor will anyone be talking to him about anything. They are not honest with you. The visitation room is nice and most of the guards there are nice. However, you won't be allowed more than a kiss and a hug when you arrive and when you leave. They are very strict on what you wear. When he calls, it will likely be very loud in the background.
If he gets into the work camp, it will be better for him.

Hey thanks for the info! He is in the workcamp there and is doing really well. Im kinda shocked and sad for your husband. My man seems pretty ok there and is doing well. I went for my first visit this last week and it was alot smoother then i thought it was going to be. The gaurds were really nice and laid back. They actually made alot of small talk with me. I was ok with the hug and kiss, its better then getting nothing at all!! He also told me there are rumors going around with the gaurds that the federal government wants to step in with the IDOC because of how over crowded it is. I guess they just had an audit there and they werent happy with what they found! So fingers crossed cuz if they step in many miniumim security inmates will be released!!!!!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:46 AM

Default vandalia men's prison 2015

Does anyone have any current information on the conditions at the men's prison in Vandalia Illinois? My son is hearing horror stories about this place and is likely getting transferred there. Plese help!
Old 01-13-2017, 04:46 PM

well my boyfriend says it is cold and loud 100 men per dorm 50 buck beds each. not a lot of privacy and hard to concentrate to read or write. He also says breakfast is nasty and they make them walk through outside to eat which is very cold.

hope it helps.

I know it doesn't sound great but it is a very old prison.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:16 PM

November 2020 and I am not seeing a thing about IDOC here in Illinois. I have questions and Google is NOT very helpful. Is there anyone with a loved one currently in the system or recently paroled out of IDOC during the last couple months of covid? Reason being, there has been huge outbreaks. He should be up for receiving sentencing credit but on lockdown. I have not ever had a loved one in prison, and wonder if they're even doing anything to release non violent non repeating offenders with less than 3 months left! Ugh. This is frustrating