Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Fire Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Fire Camps Topics, Discussions and Information relating to California Fire Camps.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 AM

Wow so much is going on! I live in SoCal and did'nt realize how bad it was. I went to Knotts yesterday and you can see the smoke creeping across the 101. It was very strange and surreal. The smoke was white and looked like fog until I rolled down the window and you can smell the smoke. I'm so sorry for the stress some of you are going through right now. I know it hard.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,026 Posts

Some of the fires can form their own clouds they called (PyroCumulus) or Icecap. Those clouds usually happens in a Volcano,Fires or Nuclear Explosions which make their own weather and pilot's have a hard time flying through them. That's another reason this fire is so hard to fight. Now, you all know the Meteorologist side of me. If I just know how to do a rain dance to make it rain. Just a little humor ladies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imani For This Useful Post:
PT ROSE (08-31-2009), socalchick (09-01-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 11:21 AM
We are missing you baby!

I hope they realize what a stupid decision they made by keeping then there and do something about it. The part that really gets is that my man was one of the guys that got transfer to San Francisquito on sat and he was brought back yesterday around 100p.m he seemed really worried even though he try to hide it. He said the fire was there and he had no idea why he was throw back in there. All I can do was cry when we talked at that moment cause I thought it will be out last conversation.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Fairy Fed Mother

Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,394 Posts

The whole camp burned. I saw video of it on the news, you could see all the burned out buildings. You could also see the overturned truck and a rescue effort going on. It's very sad and my prayers go to the families of the fire fighters that lost the lives. And I'm sending up a prayer of thanks for God watching over the guys that had to take shelter but ultimately made it thru the storm. God was truly watching over them.

GO BULLS!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPpY's GiRl View Post
I hope they realize what a stupid decision they made by keeping then there and do something about it. The part that really gets is that my man was one of the guys that got transfer to San Francisquito on sat and he was brought back yesterday around 100p.m he seemed really worried even though he try to hide it. He said the fire was there and he had no idea why he was throw back in there. All I can do was cry when we talked at that moment cause I thought it will be out last conversation.
I got the exact story from my guy, he told me that all the special skill inmates were evacuated saturday and then returned back to the camp. My boyfriend was never evacuated because apparently the firefighter inmates were to stay and protect the camp. But I just got a call from him and he's in chino firecamp and said they slept on the grass in sleeping bags last night. These men should have been evacuated long before the fire was able to take over the camp the way it did, he told me about them being in the kitchen area and how the fire practically swept through the entire bldg. I can tell in his voice, it was a terrible experience for them. I am still in total disbelief that our men were kept there in such an extreme situation and knowing that if the fire reached the camp they stIill had the 6 miles to go down.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

Wow I am so sorry to hear all this. I remember last year with all the fires up in the Shasta/Trinity area one of the fires was circling around my guys camp and they just left the guys there to fight the fire from the camp. Luckly they were able to contain it and it never made it into the camp. I am sorry that the guys at this camp were not so lucky. You all are in my prayers and I hope everyone hears from their guys soon so you all know they are safe.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
te quiero siempre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAC98 View Post
I am so sad to hear that two people lost their lives due to this fire. I hope all of you get a phone call from your loved one just to know they are ok. My husband was fighting a fire in Northern California for three week. He was back in camp for 3 days, and now he is back out. I am also on pins and needles when I don't hear from him.
You can tell our guys are in the same camp... wonder if their on the same crew? But my guy also just got back Monday night and Wed. while we were talking he said they were heading out again. That's one of the things that is making this hard too, as Imani said, it's been a quiet fire season up to these last couple of weeks and now they can't catch a break! Our guys were out for 3 weeks, had not even 3 days back in camp and are now back out there in the middle of a very serious fire.

Just as these crews from Mt Gleason...having to be told to stay in a building while the fire goes right over the top of you? Or the ones that were taken out and then brought back... and I'm sure they are aware that 2 men (from what I understand a captain and foreman from their camp) where just killed by this fire...it's got to leave you emotionally, physically, spiritually drained... and yet they all ---every man and woman out there...needs to carry on...I can't even begin to imagine how they are doing it.

I just read online a spokesperson from the Forestry Service say... "It's burning everywhere,when it gets into canyons that haven't burned in numerous years, it takes off. If you have any insight into the good Lord upstairs, put in a request."
But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings of eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31

Last edited by Enchanted Wolf; 08-31-2009 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: adding more
Old 08-31-2009, 12:39 PM
We are missing you baby!

OMG! I am so thankful they are all alive. Im still sick to my stomach and I cannot believe it yet. My man was taking off the crew a week ago cause as you can see he is coming home this weekend. His crew was the Emergency one. I havent received my call yet, but did hear they are at Prado, and the same info you told me. I also heard that they might have them be at the services of the officer since they worked with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsmom09 View Post
I got the exact story from my guy, he told me that all the special skill inmates were evacuated saturday and then returned back to the camp. My boyfriend was never evacuated because apparently the firefighter inmates were to stay and protect the camp. But I just got a call from him and he's in chino firecamp and said they slept on the grass in sleeping bags last night. These men should have been evacuated long before the fire was able to take over the camp the way it did, he told me about them being in the kitchen area and how the fire practically swept through the entire bldg. I can tell in his voice, it was a terrible experience for them. I am still in total disbelief that our men were kept there in such an extreme situation and knowing that if the fire reached the camp they stIill had the 6 miles to go down.

Last edited by HaPpY's GiRl; 08-31-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Old 08-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Learning the Ropes

Quote:
OMG! I am so thankful they are all alive. Im still sick to my stomach and I cannot believe it yet. My man was taking off the crew a week ago cause as you can see he is coming home this weekend. His crew was the Emergency one. I havent received my call yet, but did hear they are at Prado, and the same info you told me. I also heard that they might have them be at the services of the officer since they worked with them.

Hey There Happy's Girl....Hope you are holding up and I hope your man get's home this weekend....I'm excited for you on that end....
This whole thread is awful....I am keeping everyone's loved ones in my prayers and thoughts.....
My husband is based out of Prado #28, but he was in Mt. Gleason for a couple months 1.5 years ago.....
I will keep positive thoughts going to all your gals way.....
Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
We are missing you baby!

I remember your man was there before, and im sure he will tell you that they sent our guys TO Prado early this morning. Thank you Theropes. Im holding up, I just want to hear his voice today. I think they should be thoughful and release him right now, since they pratically through him in the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropes06 View Post
Hey There Happy's Girl....Hope you are holding up and I hope your man get's home this weekend....I'm excited for you on that end....
This whole thread is awful....I am keeping everyone's loved ones in my prayers and thoughts.....
My husband is based out of Prado #28, but he was in Mt. Gleason for a couple months 1.5 years ago.....
I will keep positive thoughts going to all your gals way.....

Last edited by HaPpY's GiRl; 08-31-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Old 08-31-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
my hubby was @ Mtn Gleason, I'm really worried!! the firecamp was burned dwon caused by the wildfire, I heard to firefighters died, and the inmates where evacuated, I have no Idea how to get info to see where my husband was transferred too, can someone please let me know.. thank you. May God bless all the firefighters.
Have you checked Inmate Search? it might be to early, but its worth a try. I would think DOC would be able to tell you right away, but then again!!! Best to you.

Last edited by Imani; 09-07-2009 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: text
Old 08-31-2009, 03:04 PM

Wish you the best of luck, hopefully you will get some answers soon!!
Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 PM
missing my man....

Station fire

(Justin Sullivan / Getty Images / August 31, 2009) Barracks at an L.A. County firefighting camp at Mount Gleason were destroyed..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hiswifey1 For This Useful Post:
Enchanted Wolf (08-31-2009), Imani (08-31-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 03:29 PM
We are missing you baby!

Unhappy

Where did you get this? Is there more. Oh gosh....Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiswifey1 View Post

Station fire

(Justin Sullivan / Getty Images / August 31, 2009) Barracks at an L.A. County firefighting camp at Mount Gleason were destroyed..
Old 08-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Home & Free 07/17/10

So are the captain and foreman inmates or official firefighters?

Ladies/ Loved Ones: get on the phone and locate your loved ones. MAKE THEM GIVE YOU INFO.

My prayers are with you all and the families of those who passed away.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
missing my man....

Quote:
Where did you get this? Is there more. Oh gosh....Thank you!
I got it at http://www.latimes.com/ but I think that was the only pic of mount gleason.

I feel so bad for the guys and their families. Take care.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:13 PM
**WWJD?**

Quote:
my hubby was @ Mtn Gleason, I'm really worried!! the firecamp was burned dwon caused by the wildfire, I heard to firefighters died, and the inmates where evacuated, I have no Idea how to get info to see where my husband was transferred too, can someone please let me know.. thank you. May God bless all the firefighters.

Yeah girl keep ya head up and pray.

Last edited by Imani; 09-07-2009 at 07:48 AM..
Old 08-31-2009, 04:14 PM

Best of luck to you and your husband, I hope everything is OK!

"Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell."
Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 PM

Does anyone know anything about the Camp in Acton??
Old 08-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Luna View Post
the 2 fire fighters that died belonged to the Los Angeles Fire Department... 1 was from palmdale and the other one I forgot... You can call the prison (if there is a prison left and find out where they went too) you can also call the inmate locator... Also, if your unsuseccessful (sp) you can call a local prison near by and ask them if hes housed there and if not they can tell you were they are at...
GOod luck
Old 08-31-2009, 06:30 PM

Default Mt. Gleason Fire Camp #16

I've just heard that Los Angeles County Fire Camp #16 (Mt. Gleason) has burned down in the Station fire. Evidently, the two fire men who were killed were Captains there, and they died while trying to save the camp. If you have loved ones there, it would probably be good to call CDC and find out if they are ok. ABC news did not mention the fact that CC #16 was a prison fire camp. I hope inmates were not injured as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:56 PM

I was at Mt. Gleason for three years, and I literally got sick to my stomach when I saw the photos. The canyon that sits below the camp is extremely dangerous, and very steep. Without even knowing the specifics of what happened, I can assure you that the fire came up from that canyon. I can remember being taught that people should never be up-hill from a fast moving blaze. Unfortunately, that is where all the inmates were when the Station fire destroyed the camp. The camp is old, and there should have never been anyone there to see the fire arrive; Mt. Gleason should have been evacuated.

From experience, let me tell you that the work involved in containing this fire is very dangerous. The brush is very tall and thick, and the terrain is very steep and tricky to navigate.

My condolences to Captain Hall's family. I am glad to hear that everyone else got out safe. Hopefully they will not re-build that camp. It is just too dangerous of a location.

Last edited by radrobinlb; 08-31-2009 at 07:00 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to radrobinlb For This Useful Post:
Csmcgrl23 (09-01-2009), GMAC98 (09-01-2009), Imani (09-01-2009), lovinghim562 (09-01-2009), Ms_Jah (08-31-2009), Shari (08-31-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

I was speaking to C earlier about when fire was all around Sugar Pine last summer. He told me that they had all the equipment out and ready to go to fight the fire if it reached the camp and that the guys that were still at the camp kept that tent thiing (sorry forgot what he called it) with them all the time in case they need to get under it to let the fire move over them. He also told me they did not evacuate the guys cause they are trained to fight fires so they were going to stay there as long as they could to fight the fire and save the camp if they had to. I guess that is what they were doing at Mt. Gleason. They were there to protect their camp and try to save it. I am glad that all the guys were able to get out of there safely to bad the captains could not.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,026 Posts
Default Mount Gleason Conservation Camp Destroyed by the Station Fire CDCR

SACRAMENTO — Two County of Los Angeles Fire Department firefighters, Fire Captain Tedmund “Ted” Hall and Firefighter Specialist Arnaldo “Arnie” Quinones, assigned to the Mount Gleason Conservation Camp #16 located near Palmdale in Los Angeles County, tragically lost their lives on August 30, 2009. Moreover, the camp, one of the first of five Los Angeles County Fire Department wild land fire camps, was destroyed by the Station Fire. California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) Secretary Matthew Cate issued the following statement:
“Fire Captain Ted Hall and Firefighter Specialist Arnie Quinones worked hand in hand with CDCR staff at Mount Gleason Conservation Camp to provide supervision and training to the inmates assigned there. They are to be credited with helping to save the lives of three CDCR employees and 55 inmates. When fire threatened to engulf the Mount Gleason Conservation Camp and all who still remained there, Captain Hall, Firefighter Specialist Quinones and other Los Angeles County Fire Department personnel coolly provided direction and worked with CDCR staff to ensure everyone’s safety. Tragically, they perished in the fire. If it wasn’t for their selfless actions, the loss of life could have been greater. On behalf of everyone at CDCR we are humbled and honored by their sacrifice.”
All the inmates who had been assigned to the Mount Gleason Conservation Camp are either still battling wildfires around the state or were relocated to the Francisquito Conservation Camp near Saugus, also in Los Angeles County. As of August 31, there are 2,245 adult inmates and 53 Division of Juvenile Justice youth deployed to fires statewide, including Los Angeles, Riverside, and 15 other counties. They are supervised by 187 correctional officers and supervisors.
The Mount Gleason Conservation Camp opened in 1979. Located deep in the Angeles National Forest at an abandoned missile base that at one time helped protect the Los Angeles basin from nuclear threat, the camp served to help protect Californians from wild fires. The camp was located atop a mountain ridge at a 5,500 foot elevation, housed 105 inmate firefighters, and provided six fire crews in a joint partnership between CDCR and the County of Los Angeles Fire Department.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Imani For This Useful Post:
2008momof1 (08-31-2009), Csmcgrl23 (09-01-2009), Enchanted Wolf (08-31-2009), GMAC98 (09-01-2009), Hiswifey1 (08-31-2009), Ms_Jah (09-01-2009), pilgrim shadow (08-31-2009), socalchick (09-01-2009), trixierose (08-31-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Wow! That would be nice for them to consider having the inmates in attendance, I'm sure that would make the inmates feel good about themselves to be included in the service.