Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,324 Times in 705 Posts

Hmmmm, it's going to be interesting to see how it turns out.

ASPC LEWIS - STINER
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
Hmmmm, it's going to be interesting to see how it turns out.
Pm me if u here anything about it,I'm trying to keep up with it. I know what the orders are in rincon and we'll just say it's not just simply refusing to house
Old 05-14-2016, 09:37 PM
Liz

Default IHP - integrated housing

There is a decision by the Supreme Court in the Rudisill case that approves the parties' stipulation - Case 4:13-cv-01149-CKJ Document 119 Filed 02/05/16. It lists the order in which they have to do integrate and those instances and qualification for exemptions by individual inmates. They have a year to complete the first phase. I haven't seen anything about how it is going. So far the private prisons are exempt. The steps and date are as follows -

I 1/1/16-1/1/17 ASPC-Tucson, Santa Rita Unit
ASPC-Florence, North Unit Yard II
II 1/1/17-3/1/18 All minimum/medium custody female units
All minimum/medium protective custody units
All dormitory sex offender units
III 3/1/18-6/1/19 All minimum/medium custody general population units
IV 6/1/19-6/1/20 All maximum custody units
V 6/1/20-6/1/21 All close custody units
Old 11-23-2016, 04:41 PM

Default Integration--Questions, Concerns and Info in Arizona

I know that the integrated housing units thus far have only been in tucson - I know the state court order has ordered that it be in all prisons by a certain time but I think they have a few years and this only tucson so far. Does anyone know is it only santa Rita in tucson or what units there r that? Also I heard that in the past month or two a unit in Florence was also made into one possible due to overcrowding or simply bc they r trying to comply w the need to have it everywhere soon but does anyone know if that is true? Does Florence have one and if so what is the name of the yard and what class level? Do any other prisons have them if so where and what class levels any info is greatly appreciate thank you.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:38 PM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc916 View Post
I know that the integrated housing units thus far have only been in tucson - I know the state court order has ordered that it be in all prisons by a certain time but I think they have a few years and this only tucson so far. Does anyone know is it only santa Rita in tucson or what units there r that? Also I heard that in the past month or two a unit in Florence was also made into one possible due to overcrowding or simply bc they r trying to comply w the need to have it everywhere soon but does anyone know if that is true? Does Florence have one and if so what is the name of the yard and what class level? Do any other prisons have them if so where and what class levels any info is greatly appreciate thank you.
It is the Rudisill stipulation that has the schedule. I downloaded it as a pdf a while ago so I don't know if there is anything posted on the ADC website. Remember, the integration decision by the court only applies to state facilities and not the private contract prisons at this point.

The IHP will be implemented at the 10 ADC complexes in five phases
on the following schedule:
Phase Dates Units
I 1/1/16-1/1/17 ASPC-Tucson, Santa Rita Unit
ASPC-Florence, North Unit Yard II
II 1/1/17-3/1/18 All minimum/medium custody female units
All minimum/medium protective custody units
All dormitory sex offender units
III 3/1/18-6/1/19 All minimum/medium custody general population units
IV 6/1/19-6/1/20 All maximum custody units
V 6/1/20-6/1/21 All close custody units
Old 11-24-2016, 10:01 AM
here

Um, maybe a stupid question, but what is an integrated housing unit?

Old 11-24-2016, 10:13 AM

Thanked 8,858 Times in 5,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
Um, maybe a stupid question, but what is an integrated housing unit?
Mixed race housing...something that other States have been doing for more than 25 years (including Texas).
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
HisPrettyBird (12-18-2016)
Old 02-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Question Anything New On Integration

I heard a lot about it for a couple months but haven't heard anything for a while. I know Santa Rita is integrated fully now. Anyone know where else? Dorms don't really matter much since they were considered integrated to begin with. My hubby is on a private yard where they aren't required to integrate so I'm just looking for info on what's happening for the rest of the state. Are they still trying to get people to sign the agreement? Anyone have a loved one who refused to sign?

Thanks in advance!

ASPC LEWIS - STINER
Old 02-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Liz

They haven't provided any forms at Kingman for them to sign. As a private prison they aren't subject to the rule, but I heard that at Red Rock inmates were asked to sign.

The actual integration schedule is listed in the court documents as part of the stipulation which the court order then adopts. The stipulation has it spelled out as to which facilities have to do it by which deadlines.

I attached the stipulation, I don't know if that's allowed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rudisill stipulations.desegregation.pdf (130.2 KB, 5 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 03:07 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

My husband is at Red Rock and hasn't heard about anyone being asked to sign...and trust me he would have heard!

Integration didn't work so well at Santa Rita...the demographics there are more racially segregated now than ever and they had to move hundreds of inmates who wouldn't sign. They will run into the same problem on every GP yard.

I guess it will probably be 2nd quarter of 2018 before we hear much more about it. Since I don't have anyone on PC or SO yards it looks like March 2018 will be the next installment that affects anybody....I do not look forward to it. It will be a violent and bloody time.

I've read the schedule and the guidelines but I'm going to download it for future reference, thank you.

ASPC LEWIS - STINER
Old 02-16-2017, 02:25 PM

My LO is in Eyman Rynning unit and all the guys who didn't sign were moved from GP to the PC yard. They have now been there for 2 weeks waiting to see where they are going to move them (COs said it would be a month before they get moved). Phase 3s aren't getting their usual 8 hour visits, since they have to split the blocks between the PCs and the GP inmates.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJ0120 For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ0120 View Post
My LO is in Eyman Rynning unit and all the guys who didn't sign were moved from GP to the PC yard. They have now been there for 2 weeks waiting to see where they are going to move them (COs said it would be a month before they get moved). Phase 3s aren't getting their usual 8 hour visits, since they have to split the blocks between the PCs and the GP inmates.
Thank you for the input! Obviously they aren't there with the PC's...so are they all in detention? Funny that they did that because they moved a bunch who wouldn't sign from Santa Rita to Rynning when my husband was still there. Did they take the phases away from those who didn't sign like they threatened? Rynning is always a messed up yard split between GP,SO and PC. Always a mess! Please let me know what happens after this!

ASPC LEWIS - STINER
Old 02-16-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
Thank you for the input! Obviously they aren't there with the PC's...so are they all in detention? Funny that they did that because they moved a bunch who wouldn't sign from Santa Rita to Rynning when my husband was still there. Did they take the phases away from those who didn't sign like they threatened? Rynning is always a messed up yard split between GP,SO and PC. Always a mess! Please let me know what happens after this!
From what my LO told me everything is basically functioning the same. The main 2 things that got messed up were the visits, and the jobs (anyone who worked in the kitchen was basically fired). They haven't taken the phases away, thankfully. I'm going to go visit this weekend and will update once I find out more about whats going!
The Following User Says Thank You to JJ0120 For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 07:16 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ0120 View Post
From what my LO told me everything is basically functioning the same. The main 2 things that got messed up were the visits, and the jobs (anyone who worked in the kitchen was basically fired). They haven't taken the phases away, thankfully. I'm going to go visit this weekend and will update once I find out more about whats going!
Thank you so much!

ASPC LEWIS - STINER
Old 03-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default Integration--Questions, Concerns and Info

Hey guys... since ADC has decided to integrate housing units, please use this thread to post your concerns, questions and and info you might have. Thank you.

The April 2017 edition of PTO Quarterly is now available.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheAmazingMrsB For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (03-19-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

I was given permission to share this message from a lady who's husband is/was at Eyman Rynning when they integrated...

"HI! Sorry, nothing new on integration but the guys who refused to sign from Eyman-Rynning, where my LO was at, were moved to Tucson. Some guys were moved to Cimarron and the others to Rincon. His phase level wasn't affected at all by his refusal, and it looks like for now everything in Tucson is running as usual, until they decide to integrate those units as well lol."

ASPC LEWIS - STINER
The Following User Says Thank You to Sinir.Fridyrr For This Useful Post:
TheAmazingMrsB (04-03-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Liz

Just a clarification. Arizona didn't decide to integrate. The state was forced into doing so because of a lawsuit brought by an inmate who felt there was job discrimination based on race. The ACLU expanded that initial complaint to include housing.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

That's very true...it wasn't like they one day just decided it would be a good idea.

At any rate it is being forced on our loved ones. Also, now they are using integrated yards (such as Santa Rita) to house PC inmates without having to actually list them as PC.

Initially they threatened to move all those who wouldn't sign to 5 yards, but they quickly found out that they don't have the space. It was also threatened that those who won't sign will not be able to advance past phase 1 and will go on LOP...but that hasn't happened either.

They moved many of those on Santa Rita who wouldn't integrate to Rynning, then integrated Rynning and moved those who wouldn't sign to Cimarron and Rincon. At some point they will run out of places to move people and that's where it will get ugly.

Though it seems that if someone causes enough waves in AZ they just ship them off to another state, basically turning them into ghosts.

ASPC LEWIS - STINER