Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in North Carolina that do not fit into any other North Carolina sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:06 AM

Question Close Custody to Medium Custody

Please excuse me if any of my questions on this board sound silly or redundant but I am so new to NC DOC.

Anyway, my babe had his custody review on 10/01/09, and was just informed he was classified as medium (he has been under close custody for the past 6 years). So does this mean he will be moving to a medium facility in the near future...or is there a possibility he could stay where he is (Scotland CI...which we both abhor). He says no one has let him know anything as far as him going anywhere and he had to go through hell for them to finally say he could be classified as medium. Even with 6 years down, no infractions, him doing good work there, and taking various classes...he STILL had to get several of his friends and family to call the one man that did not want to budge on his decision (he must of got tired of us calling ) Anyway...I am just trying to figure out if my love will be shipped to another facility anytime soon.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:07 AM

First of all welcome to PTO! and CONGRATULATIONS on your loved one making medium custody...He will most likely be moved to a medium facility, unless they house both custody levels there, which I don't think they do...I'm sure others will chime in on this as well....good luck to you and yours!!

Woo-Hoo - Roy is Home!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to roysprincess For This Useful Post:
BishopsWifey (11-03-2009)
Old 11-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Why? When? Who? Where?

Default Promotion moves

Yes, 1st - Welcome to PTO

Just like Roy's Princess stated - once his custody level changes it is just a matter of time, waiting for a medium custody facility to have an open bed space. If there is a particular program, job, or school he is wanting or required to take he may be moved to a stand-by facility for bed space to open at that facility.

Inmates, family, nor friends are not told when they will be moved.

Scotland CI is just a Close custody facility - so he will be moved eventually. As for his time in Close before going to Medium - there are many factors that play a role in custody changes;

Pages 9 and 10 of the Family and Friends Handbook
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publicati...09handbook.pdf
All inmates undergo routine custody reviews at which time their current custody is looked at to determine if they are appropriately assigned. Progression to a less restrictive custody grade is a privilege granted to inmates and is awarded by them obeying rules and meeting other mandatory requirements.

Other factors are also taken into consideration including pending charges, physical and mental health needs, risk to the community, risk to other inmates and staff, number and nature of infractions, and time since last infraction. Simple eligibility for promotion does not guarantee promotion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2021 For This Useful Post:
BishopsWifey (11-03-2009), Pretty Toes (11-22-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Thanks so much for your input...I can breathe a sigh of relief. I mean he has waited this long so I am sure playing the waiting game a little while longer for a bed to open up is not a problem
Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM

WELCOME TO PTO!! I see some of others have already answered the questions but just wanted to welcome you to PTO!!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:32 PM

Welcome aboard!!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:15 AM

What is medium custody? I just looked on the DOC website in FL and that is what my guy was classified as.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Why? When? Who? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysHisLove View Post
What is medium custody? I just looked on the DOC website in FL and that is what my guy was classified as.
Is your guy in FL or NC and/or in Federal Prison?
All three have different criteria for custody levels.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021 View Post
Is your guy in FL or NC and/or in Federal Prison?
All three have different criteria for custody levels.

he's in a FL prison
Old 11-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Why? When? Who? Where?

Default Answer, sort of

Maybe the Moderator will move your query to the Florida group - you would get a better answer in there, sorry.
This is the North Carolina group ... If you have any NC questions, I'm sure all of us would be happy to answer.

But just for a quick general answer, from the FL DC web site:
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/ciindex.html
Upon arrival at a reception center, an inmate is processed, tested, evaluated by health services, assessed for program needs, and his/her custody (security risks) determined. Custody is determined by reviewing the seriousness of their offenses, length of sentence, time remaining to serve, prior criminal record, escape history, prison adjustment, and other factors. The most serious offenders with the longest sentences and those least likely to adjust to institutional life are placed in more secure facilities. Based on the results of this process the inmate is then transferred to the appropriate facility.

and
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/inmates/custody.html

The system uses five (5) distinct groups, described as custody levels: maximum, close, medium, minimum, and community.
  1. Maximum: Refers to inmates who are under a sentence of death.
  2. Close: Refers to inmates who must be maintained within an armed perimeter or under direct, armed supervision when outside of a secure perimeter.
  3. Medium: Refers to inmates eligible for placement at a work camp with a secure perimeter, but who are not eligible for placement in an outside work assignment without armed supervision.
  4. Minimum: Refers to inmates eligible for outside work assignments, but not for placement at a community residential facility.
  5. Community: Refers to inmates eligible for placement at a community residential facility.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2021 For This Useful Post:
AlwaysHisLove (11-17-2009)
Old 11-15-2009, 06:06 PM
C/O

Quote:
  1. Community: Refers to inmates eligible for placement at a community residential facility.
Now there's an idea we could use in NC, since they seem to be hell bent on closing most of the minimum custody units.