Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CONNECTICUT > Connecticut Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Connecticut Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Connecticut should be posted here.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM

Default Do I have grounds for a complaint? Should have been released 2 months ago!

My boyfriend is in a halfway house with a maximum of 180 days there which would be 6 months. He's been there since January 7 2014. Almost 8 months! They've been telling him for 2 months that he'll be going home "any day now". All of the paperwork is in but he's still there. Today they called his mom and told her they don't know what happened to the paperwork and needed the information again. He hasn't gotten into any trouble the whole time he was in prison and the halfway house. He found a job within the first week he was there. A guy who did 20 years for murder was put in the halfway house after my man got there and he's out already! Its ridiculous. Do I have grounds for a complaint and if so who do I contact?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 PM

I don't know who you would contact but yes you do have grounds for a complaint. Something's not right.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,314 Times in 13,653 Posts

Quote:
Do I have grounds for a complaint and if so who do I contact?
No, you don't have grounds for a complaint...he does. However, that doesn't mean you can't make some calls on his behalf Actually, if "they" are calling his mom, perhaps she's the best person to make a few calls as she is apparently his listed "contact." Anywho, if you know what PO's office he'll be reporting to, I'd start with them...then DOC Inmate Records and the Omsbudsman.

Good luck!! I hope he's released asap
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
April282017 (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 PM

That's true his mom is the one they contact but the problem with that is she moved down south last year and even if she didn't, she either drops the ball and doesn't do anything or doesn't tell him what she knows and then he gets upset. Now that she is so far away, she always calls me and asks me to do things, basically she makes us feel like she doesn't care what happens as long as she's not around. His whole family is like that so I'm not really surprised. It's pretty much all up to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginahunt3 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 08:20 AM

It may be best to try to advocate for him with the halfway house rather than filing a complaint which may backfire. Maybe your boyfriend can add you as a contact so you can speak directly with management at the house? Does he have a place to live upon discharge? That can hold things up, too, although it doesn't sound as though that was as an issue. He can also sit with staff within the house to find-out if there is something else he should do in order to be released. I am sure there isn't but it reminds management that he was supposed to be released already and has done everything he needs to while sounding much more compliant than a filing a grievance. I'd start with him advocating for himself but not in an argumentative way, and then mane adding you as a contact so you can call the house manager to find-out if there is something you can do to assist. Again, acting as a partner in this while letting them know that someone outside of "the system" is watching this case. Good luck!