Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Louisiana should be posted here.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:39 AM

Hi Elizabeth. My name is Shannon and I am, like many, brand new to this whole jail/prison experience. I have been reading this forum and found you and would like to ask for your help with time calculation. I'll give you the info that you ask and then a general summary of my situation. Many thanks for your help

30 months
non violent offender
1st time offender

In 2007 my fiance was charged and convicted of DWI first offense and posession of a schedule 2. He was placed on 3 years probation and 2 1/2 years into his probation he was revoked and sentenced to drug court. Almost a year into drug court, he failed to show up for court, was again revoked and turned himself in on March 1, 2011. He has been in jail ever since, and also served 6 weeks at his original arrest in 2007. His attorney told us he would do 15 months, half his time, but then I'm reading about this 33% time served for first time offenders. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. We have a 6 month old baby girl and I am hoping he doesn't miss the rest of her first year. Also, what do we need to do to be the most prepared for his parole hearing? My calculations using the 33% and his credit for time served was release sometime in August 2011. Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Diane Stephens

Yes, he should be parole eligible after having served 1/3 of his time. His rap sheet will reflect his parole eligibility. Ask him for the rap sheet and/or call the records department at the facility where he is and ask them about parole eligibility. He is probably also eligible for work release very soon. They can tell you all of that.

Thank you!
Diane Stephens

www.changeivreal.com

Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Diane Stephens

And by the way....most attorneys have no clue about good time and parole eligibility. First of all, there is no longer an act that requires the offender to do half their time. All new offenders, if non-violent, non-sex and are not multiple offenders do 46% now instead of 50% but they are also parole eligibile at 1/3....good luck!

Thank you!
Diane Stephens

www.changeivreal.com

The Following User Says Thank You to diane135130 For This Useful Post:
tearsforhim (08-03-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Diane,
Thank you, thank you!! I will call the records department about the work release. I kind of figured his attorney wouldn't really know...I did all the work for his revocation hearing, I think we just paid him cause he's friends with the judge and got him the minimal amount of time. Thanks again for your help, it really means a lot
Old 04-14-2011, 04:27 AM
Diane Stephens

You're welcome!

Thank you!
Diane Stephens

www.changeivreal.com

Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Default Time from DOC misinterpreted I think

ok, answering the questions below and basically asking who I can contact when the prison person says time is calculated correctly, but transcripts state something different. I think the judge's orders need to be simply clarified, but the operative word may be 'simply'. Ok, here is the somewhat short version (below). If you can point me to the person or an entitiy that can actually get this finalized, I would help you any way I can. I have resources for many things, just not much legal and/or prison issues. I know God will richly bless anyone who can help us. Thanks in advance!!

Total years - 12, non violent, multiple offender (7) though specifically NOT habitual offender per judge, no detainers or extra charges known.
3 file #'s sentenced on to run concurrent with any other time serving and retroactive to Nov 5, 2007; sentenced may 24, 2010 (incarcerated since Nov 5, 2007) He qualifies for the 46% good time act and other reductions due to being enrolled in classes (Associate Degree and Computer Class)

* total number of years sentenced
* violent or non-violent offense
* 1st time offender, 2nd time offender, 3rd time offender, etc...(will say if the inmate is eligible for parole or not)
* any detainers
* extra charges for probation/parole violations
* and any other helpful information that you can think of [/quote]
Old 06-13-2011, 04:52 AM

My husband was sentenced to 5 years april 2010. They said he would have to do 85% of his time and he would not be released until. 2014. But now he is up to go for work release next month. Is this info correct about his time?1st time offender 2nd degree robbery.....

Last edited by babygirl lala; 06-13-2011 at 04:59 AM..
Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,029 Times in 7,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl lala View Post
My husband was sentenced to 5 years april 2010. They said he would have to do 85% of his time and he would not be released until. 2014. But now he is up to go for work release next month. Is this info correct about his time?1st time offender 2nd degree robbery.....
It will depend on what his sentencing papers say and if he was sentenced under any acts. What does his rap sheet say?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 PM

My son was convicted of negligent homicide (2 counts and I count of negligent injury) in a DUI in 2002. He was a first time offender. These charges were to run consecutively. Some where down the line these charges were listed as concurrent. He was given several rap sheets, all giving him a parole date of 2012. He began making plans to return home. He has had no write ups in 9 years. He has been an instructor/tutor for the past 5 years. DOC gave him a parole date, work release date, etc. He transferred to a Drug Recovery Program and upon running his rap sheet they say that he has 6 more years to serve. So, he is not eligible to take the drug recovery program, he cannot go back to his prior prison, he cannot stay where he is. Is there any end to this? Is there anythng that I can do to get his sentence reduced. Would he be granted clemency and where would I find those forms?

His original sentence was 45 years, 2-20 year sentences for the negligent homicides and 1-15 year sentence for the negligent injury.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:47 AM

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet nothing View Post
My son was convicted of negligent homicide (2 counts and I count of negligent injury) in a DUI in 2002. He was a first time offender. These charges were to run consecutively. Some where down the line these charges were listed as concurrent. He was given several rap sheets, all giving him a parole date of 2012. He began making plans to return home. He has had no write ups in 9 years. He has been an instructor/tutor for the past 5 years. DOC gave him a parole date, work release date, etc. He transferred to a Drug Recovery Program and upon running his rap sheet they say that he has 6 more years to serve. So, he is not eligible to take the drug recovery program, he cannot go back to his prior prison, he cannot stay where he is. Is there any end to this? Is there anythng that I can do to get his sentence reduced. Would he be granted clemency and where would I find those forms?

His original sentence was 45 years, 2-20 year sentences for the negligent homicides and 1-15 year sentence for the negligent injury.

Thanks.
You would need to get your hands on the original sentencing documents that should be in your son's court transcripts. That would clarify whether his sentence is supposed to concurrent or consecutive. Once you get your hands on those records, then you would need to get that information to the records department at Hunt's, or wherever your son is currently located.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
sweet nothing (07-10-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Default Wondering

My fiancé is in East Baton Rouge work release. He has an 25 month sentence. He has already served 12 months. I jus wanted to know when will he be eligible for parole? And how does he go about doing so. He's a second time offender, non-violent. This is his 1st time serving time. Please help me!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Default Release calculations under the current law.

I have been offered a plea agreement by the state and would like some help calculating exactly how much time I would be required to serve.
I was arrested in February 2010. I have 1 1/2 months credit served before bonding out. The plea agreement is as follows...5 years, 3 years suspended. Full D.O.C. benefits and no habitual offender enhancements. This is for a drug offense. I am supposed to accept or reject the offer on August 15 so any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 PM

Hi my loved one is currently doing time for manslaughter. He is a first time offender and was sentenced to 20 years. He said he gave some time back to the state and he only had to serve 5 of the 20 years. He recently got in trouble and loss 380 days of good time. Im not understanding how this work. He doesnt recieve good time, so do he have to serve the extra 380 days or will he still be released when its time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingTimeinLove View Post
Seems like a common problem for all of us is calculating time whether it be good time, parole, violent/non-violent offenses, etc. If anyone is having a problem doing the math leave the following info and maybe we can help one another...

* 1st time offender, 2nd time offender, 3rd time offender, etc...(will say if the inmate is eligible for parole or not)
* any detainers
* and any other helpful information that you can think of
Old 08-17-2011, 04:43 AM

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgirl23 View Post
Hi my loved one is currently doing time for manslaughter. He is a first time offender and was sentenced to 20 years. He said he gave some time back to the state and he only had to serve 5 of the 20 years. He recently got in trouble and loss 380 days of good time. Im not understanding how this work. He doesnt recieve good time, so do he have to serve the extra 380 days or will he still be released when its time?
What do you mean, "he gave some time back to the state"? So, if he doesn't have good time, how did he get 380 days of good time? What ACT was he sentenced under? What does his rap sheet say?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:04 PM

Default help calculating

Son is a second time offender sentence to 4 years non violent ...He currently has served 5 months ..Need help in the calculation please
Old 09-02-2011, 03:45 PM

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeout2964 View Post
Son is a second time offender sentence to 4 years non violent ...He currently has served 5 months ..Need help in the calculation please
His rap sheet should tell you everything you need to know. You also need to know what, if any, Good Time Laws he was sentenced under.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveler View Post
His rap sheet should tell you everything you need to know. You also need to know what, if any, Good Time Laws he was sentenced under.
He doesn't have his rap sheet yet. He just got sentenced it s/b under HB414
Old 10-14-2011, 04:19 PM

My husband was placed on a 5 year probation sentence and voilated his probation by not reporting and was picked up on july2 ,2011 and hasn't picked up any new charges . I was just wondering if any body could give me some good news on how long he have to serve and what going to happen he has not been to court yet.....
Old 02-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingTimeinLove View Post
Seems like a common problem for all of us is calculating time whether it be good time, parole, violent/non-violent offenses, etc. If anyone is having a problem doing the math leave the following info and maybe we can help one another...

* any detainers
* and any other helpful information that you can think of
sentenced to three years for distribution of cocaine do i do 85% or do i get good time

Last edited by treetree28; 02-03-2012 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: in louisiana
Old 02-06-2012, 02:43 PM

Default Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane135130 View Post
Yes, he should be parole eligible after having served 1/3 of his time. His rap sheet will reflect his parole eligibility. Ask him for the rap sheet and/or call the records department at the facility where he is and ask them about parole eligibility. He is probably also eligible for work release very soon. They can tell you all of that.
You seem to be very up to date on these programs and processes. As a first offender (true DWI 3rd), non-violent, and sentenced to 1 year hard labor, currently in work release, what would be the PED if sentenced on January 13th. Also, how do i find this information? He has a release date, but the jail says they don't have his master record.

Also, how does he go about applying for Parole?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Default updated info

Now they are saying he has an out of state felony for vehicle negligence while intoxicated. He was sentenced on that to 3 years probation (no suspended sentence) and it was supposed to have earned misdemeanor treatment, but they're treating it like a felony.

Please Help!! They are saying his Parole Eligibility Date is 7/10, but his release date is 6/26...
Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM

Default Help. Need info for Louisiana.

My husband was sentenced in Louisiana for vehicular homicide: 1st time offender, non-violent, 10 years. Parole eligibility date of 21 December 2012. How much "parole" time will he carry after being released. Will he be able to own a gun, if so, when? He's a hunter and wants to be paroled to Oklahoma, our home state. He is currently on work release in Monroe, Louisiana at City of Faith, since June 2011.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 PM

He will be on parole for the remainder of the sentence. For example, if he is paroled after 5 years of a ten year sentence, he remains on parole for 5 years. Under an act passed last year, he does get "street credit" for time successfully spent on parole.

Parole is NOT a sure thing in La. In 2011, the parole release percentages ranged between 16% and about 25%. Success depends on 1) knowing how to handle one's self before the board 2) victim opposition and 3) law enforcement opposition. Success rates go up dramatically if 2 and 3 above are handled correctly.

Gun ownership is a twofold question: state and federal. I don't know Oklahoma law and he also needs to comply with federal law. Under Louisiana law, the answer is "probably no" until a cleansing period has passed. There are exceptions to everything, of course. He will need to get a lawyer in Oklahoma who really knows this stuff to get an answer for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Stander View Post
My husband was sentenced in Louisiana for vehicular homicide: 1st time offender, non-violent, 10 years. Parole eligibility date of 21 December 2012. How much "parole" time will he carry after being released. Will he be able to own a gun, if so, when? He's a hunter and wants to be paroled to Oklahoma, our home state. He is currently on work release in Monroe, Louisiana at City of Faith, since June 2011.
As always, the above is NOT specific legal advice and is only a general statement of the issues and a general, non-specific statement of my opinion of the law. I do not give any legal advice without having met with the client and certainly not over the internet without an attorney client relationship.

http://www.louisianaparole.com/

Keith
Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 AM

I didn't address the desire to be paroled to Oklahoma. That is a question governed by an agreement of the states called the "interstate compact." When a prisoner gets near the time to go up for parole, he/she may go to their classification officer and initiate the process. It is supposed to take about 45 days but often takes longer. Parole cases often get hung up and parole delayed at this stage waiting on the two states to agree on transfer of the supervision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knordyke View Post
He will be on parole for the remainder of the sentence. For example, if he is paroled after 5 years of a ten year sentence, he remains on parole for 5 years. Under an act passed last year, he does get "street credit" for time successfully spent on parole.

Parole is NOT a sure thing in La. In 2011, the parole release percentages ranged between 16% and about 25%. Success depends on 1) knowing how to handle one's self before the board 2) victim opposition and 3) law enforcement opposition. Success rates go up dramatically if 2 and 3 above are handled correctly.

Gun ownership is a twofold question: state and federal. I don't know Oklahoma law and he also needs to comply with federal law. Under Louisiana law, the answer is "probably no" until a cleansing period has passed. There are exceptions to everything, of course. He will need to get a lawyer in Oklahoma who really knows this stuff to get an answer for him.
As always, the above is NOT specific legal advice and is only a general statement of the issues and a general, non-specific statement of my opinion of the law. I do not give any legal advice without having met with the client and certainly not over the internet without an attorney client relationship.

http://www.louisianaparole.com/

Keith
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knordyke View Post
I didn't address the desire to be paroled to Oklahoma. That is a question governed by an agreement of the states called the "interstate compact." When a prisoner gets near the time to go up for parole, he/she may go to their classification officer and initiate the process. It is supposed to take about 45 days but often takes longer. Parole cases often get hung up and parole delayed at this stage waiting on the two states to agree on transfer of the supervision.
Thank you for your help. Oklahoma is on board at the Sheriff's office and the District Attorney's office. They have both agreed to write letters on Ron's behalf. I believe the "cleansing period" in Oklahoma is seven years after parole is finished. Would it be up to Oklahoma or Louisiana if he is paroled to Oklahoma? There may be opposition from the victim's family at parole time, but I believe that he will have favorable statements from his warden and several officers where he served his time. Is there anything he can do to help his chances of getting parole? I assume that your statement about parole time means that no matter how much "time" he does in the system, he will do the entire time via serving and parole? Thanks again for your help.