Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:05 PM

Default Running out of time to find work before probation is violated.

This is my first post on Prison Talk though I have read up on it for several years. I dunno if its worth posting because I am honestly running out of options before my probation is violated for non payment and not having employment. I have been home for 3 months and have literally filled out hundreds of applications and been to maybe 10 interviews but never make it past that process. Well, I lowered my standards down to McDonalds (fast food) and finally even Waffle House turned me down today because of my background regardless of the fact that I have 5+ years management and all kinds of other experience. I would be open to manual labor but seeing as how I don't have a vehicle anymore and no license its kind of out of the question because there is no way to get to any of the job sites. The only experience I really have in that area is in painting but I can learn to do anything. I live in Newnan, GA and if anyone knows any recourses or can offer any advice on what I should do it would be helpful. I am not gonna lie, cheat, or do anything illegal. Me and my wife currently live with my parents but they are getting about ready to get rid of us because shes in college and I am unemployed so if something doesn't shake soon I will probably be heading back to Prison. I have been applying myself as best as I know how but really feel like im backed up against the wall.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2019, 03:37 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,090 Times in 4,616 Posts

Hi I amended your title so that more members can find your post.I hope you are able to find work soon.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:52 PM

Thank you, much appreciated.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,343 Times in 12,870 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope you find a job soon, but if not, are there other options that would satisfy your PO? Enrolling in school, or job training (like Goodwill's program for former prisoners) or volunteering at a hospital, etc. for enough hours a week to avoid being violated?
Old 06-20-2019, 06:46 AM

The first thing you should do is speak with your PO. Explain your situation and hopefully they can help you out. At this point you need to take the first thing that lands in your lap that is on the books. Even if it is washing dishes for minimum wage. You have to start fresh and rebuild your resume, yes you might have experience, but until you have experience AFTER prison, most places do not want to touch you. Build a work history now, no matter what it is...then hopefully you can climb up that ladder again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
maytayah (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 08:03 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,915 Times in 15,434 Posts

It took my hub over a year to land a job.
And it was manual labor. He worked in the vineyards.
He's doing well now but it was a long long road.

I hate that they want you to pay fees or face returning to prison, that just seems really counter productive. Its more expensive to stick you in prison than it is to leave you out.

I'd hope you have kept copies of all your applications to show you have been trying.
And yes, I would be talking with your probation officer about this. Other options like maybe going to school or whathaveyou.
Keep applying. Eventually someone will say yes.
Being without a license is going to make it more difficult for sure, but maybe probation might offer say, bus vouchers if you were to find something.
Or since its summer time, maybe try to find a second hand bicycle or if the work place is within walking distance??? hoof it.

Keep trying!

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
maytayah (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 08:36 AM

My husband had an issue with this before landing a job at a temp agency.
He had no license, after a few days there he found someone to carpool with.

When he was going through the searching stage his PO began to think he was just lying about applying. I told him he really was trying, that I help him and he just made us start documenting every place he applied too and requested 10 a week. That's what saved him from violating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-21-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 04:47 PM

Thanked 1,786 Times in 713 Posts

I feel so bad for you & understand what you're going through.You definitely don't want to get violated. Be sure to keep detailed records of where & when you applied, who you talked to, etc. My son is also in GA & has had no luck finding a job so he now is trying to work for himself. He did go on Craigslist under the Gigs heading & got some small jobs there.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/search/trd?query=newnan
https://nwga.craigslist.org/search/l...an&is_paid=all

Try reaching out to this advocacy group- ReEntry Coalition of Carrollton, GA. They are about 30 minutes from Newnan. Bob Jackson is a nice guy & he may be able to help. https://www.alignable.com/carrollton...-coalition-inc

Have you gone to a Dept of Labor office & talked to a TOPSTEP person?https://dol.georgia.gov/sites/dol.ge...nt/dol4448.pdf
It looks like there is a Dept of Labor office in Newnan. You might call & ask them if they can help.

Georgia Department of Labor
30 Bledsoe Road
Newnan, GA 30265-1044
(770) 254-7220
Goodwill Industries also has a career center that will work with you, depending on your conviction. The closest one is in Stockbridge but it might be worth calling. Stockbridge Store, Donation Center and Career Center 3871 Highway 138 SE Stockbridge, GA 30281
678-514-0670 Career Center

I know my son's probation offered him some suggestions. Depending on how long ago your conviction was, some places may hire you if they do a 7 year background check & it's been longer than 7 years for your conviction. Many places don't have a box but will do a background check. It only costs about $15 to do a background check on yourself at your local sheriff's office. Do that & see what comes up.

The key is to keeping your PO informed. Have proof you're trying to get a job. Please reach out again if you need more ideas. It's a struggle but going back to being incarcerated is worse.