Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Criminal Immigration Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Criminal Immigration Issues Dealing with INS and other related issues.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Anyone knows of people getting deported back to Hong Kong? What happens then???

My brother had already served his sentence, drug offense so the lawyers told me that its considered an aggravated felony.

Does anyone know if he will be able to re-enter? My whole family is here, he has no wife and children yet but he does not know anyone in Hong Kong. We came when were only about 9, my whole family got our citizenship but bad luck for my brother 'cause he was already over 18 then, and then he got in trouble with the law. He is worried that if anything happened to mom and dad, he won't be able to come back to visit.

Also, when he gets sent back to Hong Kong, is he a free man as soon as he lands?? The police there won't take him away, would they? He's already served his time here. And will he be able to travel to other countries? Like other parts of Asia or Europe? Will he have a problem doing that?

Thanks, so many questions--sorry.

Immigration law right now is beyond ridiculous in my opinion!!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Immigration.. 'stuff'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzsis
My brother had already served his sentence, drug offense so the lawyers told me that its considered an aggravated felony.

Does anyone know if he will be able to re-enter? My whole family is here, he has no wife and children yet but he does not know anyone in Hong Kong. We came when were only about 9, my whole family got our citizenship but bad luck for my brother 'cause he was already over 18 then, and then he got in trouble with the law. He is worried that if anything happened to mom and dad, he won't be able to come back to visit.

Also, when he gets sent back to Hong Kong, is he a free man as soon as he lands?? The police there won't take him away, would they? He's already served his time here. And will he be able to travel to other countries? Like other parts of Asia or Europe? Will he have a problem doing that?

Thanks, so many questions--sorry.

Immigration law right now is beyond ridiculous in my opinion!!
Its not impossible to re-enter, but its close!. He will have to apply for a visitors Visa, he may get issued one, he will then have to try and get through immigration at his port of entry - he may get lucky again.

It will likely be many years, if ever, before he can even apply.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:06 PM

but will he have a problem going to other parts of Asia and Europe? He will be a free man once he hands in Hong Kong, correct?

Does anyone know? Any suggestions/insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again!!
Old 05-28-2006, 08:12 PM

Crzsis I'd a friend who's husband was deported back to HK last month.
A week before INS deports him they'll call you to pack a small duffle bag full of clothings and some money for him.
He'll be a free man once they place him on that plane.

Since all your family are here do you have any friends or extended family members that lives in HK?
Maybe you guys can go back there a week before he leaves and set eveything up for him?

He probably will not be able to return to the US again. But maybe your parents can retire in HK? (just a thought).

Good luck.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:38 PM

Hi AW Lee--
how long did your friend's husband waited before he was deported?

we do have extended family there in HK but my brother doesn't know them too well, we've been here 14 years. we were still a kid when my family moved to the US.

yea my parents are really worried 'bout my brother, they already mentioned 'bout retiring in hk, but of course, the air / houses here in the US is much better. HK is way too crowded/humid.

thanks for the quick reply...
Old 05-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Immigration.. 'stuff'

Quote:
but will he have a problem going to other parts of Asia and Europe? He will be a free man once he hands in Hong Kong, correct?

Does anyone know? Any suggestions/insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again!!
There is no reason why he should have a problem anywhere else. He will be a free man, and other countries of the world couldnt care less about American 'crimes'.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:59 AM

Question Moving after deportation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlM
There is no reason why he should have a problem anywhere else. He will be a free man, and other countries of the world couldnt care less about American 'crimes'.
Hi CarlM,
Are you saying that most other countries outside the US don't do a background check on American crimes? So if my husband wanted to go to Canada or European countries the only issue he may have is getting a working visa?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Immigration.. 'stuff'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellita
Hi CarlM,
Are you saying that most other countries outside the US don't do a background check on American crimes? So if my husband wanted to go to Canada or European countries the only issue he may have is getting a working visa?
The background checks are usually carried out in the country of citizenship, not the country of residency. I lived in France, UK and Cyprus before moving to US - they sure didnt check them all, just the UK. Many other country's have much more relaxed rules about residency and citizenship, and perform a very basic name check. Less developed countries dont even have a central database to check! Although the US welcomes more immigrants than any other country, it is also the hardest country in the world to emigrate to due to the amount of careful checking that goes on. Remember tho, if the new country asks a specific question (have you EVER been convicted etc..), it is always best to be entirely honest - we all know the consequences for lying!

Last edited by CarlM; 05-30-2006 at 01:42 PM..
Old 05-31-2006, 03:22 PM

Thanks CarlM for being such an informative moderator.

~Me
Old 06-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Immigration.. 'stuff'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellita
Thanks CarlM for being such an informative moderator.

~Me
Glad to help!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Hi AW Lee--
how long did your friend's husband waited before he was deported?

we do have extended family there in HK but my brother doesn't know them too well, we've been here 14 years. we were still a kid when my family moved to the US.

yea my parents are really worried 'bout my brother, they already mentioned 'bout retiring in hk, but of course, the air / houses here in the US is much better. HK is way too crowded/humid.

thanks for the quick reply...
Crzisis -

Because my friend was extremely lucky (and very pushy) her husband left in 3 weeks after being transferred to County Jail.

She made sure his passport was up-to-date and told the Deportation officer the probation officer kept his passport. She kept going to see his Deportation officer. It took her 1 week to get everything on the right track. And he was put on the next available flight home which took another 2 weeks.

But her husband was undocumented that's probably why it went so quick.

My husband has a green card and his case is taking a little longer.

Good Luck! You can always PM me if you've more questions.