Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Criminal Immigration Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Criminal Immigration Issues Dealing with INS and other related issues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Crzsis Crzsis is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA, US
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Anyone knows of people getting deported back to Hong Kong? What happens then???

My brother had already served his sentence, drug offense so the lawyers told me that its considered an aggravated felony.

Does anyone know if he will be able to re-enter? My whole family is here, he has no wife and children yet but he does not know anyone in Hong Kong. We came when were only about 9, my whole family got our citizenship but bad luck for my brother 'cause he was already over 18 then, and then he got in trouble with the law. He is worried that if anything happened to mom and dad, he won't be able to come back to visit.

Also, when he gets sent back to Hong Kong, is he a free man as soon as he lands?? The police there won't take him away, would they? He's already served his time here. And will he be able to travel to other countries? Like other parts of Asia or Europe? Will he have a problem doing that?

Thanks, so many questions--sorry.



Immigration law right now is beyond ridiculous in my opinion!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-26-2006, 01:02 PM
CarlM CarlM is offline
Immigration.. 'stuff'
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: OH, USA
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzsis
My brother had already served his sentence, drug offense so the lawyers told me that its considered an aggravated felony.

Does anyone know if he will be able to re-enter? My whole family is here, he has no wife and children yet but he does not know anyone in Hong Kong. We came when were only about 9, my whole family got our citizenship but bad luck for my brother 'cause he was already over 18 then, and then he got in trouble with the law. He is worried that if anything happened to mom and dad, he won't be able to come back to visit.

Also, when he gets sent back to Hong Kong, is he a free man as soon as he lands?? The police there won't take him away, would they? He's already served his time here. And will he be able to travel to other countries? Like other parts of Asia or Europe? Will he have a problem doing that?

Thanks, so many questions--sorry.



Immigration law right now is beyond ridiculous in my opinion!!
Its not impossible to re-enter, but its close!. He will have to apply for a visitors Visa, he may get issued one, he will then have to try and get through immigration at his port of entry - he may get lucky again.

It will likely be many years, if ever, before he can even apply.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Crzsis Crzsis is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA, US
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

but will he have a problem going to other parts of Asia and Europe? He will be a free man once he hands in Hong Kong, correct?

Does anyone know? Any suggestions/insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-28-2006, 08:12 PM
AW Lee AW Lee is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: brooklyn, ny
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Crzsis I'd a friend who's husband was deported back to HK last month.
A week before INS deports him they'll call you to pack a small duffle bag full of clothings and some money for him.
He'll be a free man once they place him on that plane.

Since all your family are here do you have any friends or extended family members that lives in HK?
Maybe you guys can go back there a week before he leaves and set eveything up for him?

He probably will not be able to return to the US again. But maybe your parents can retire in HK? (just a thought).

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Crzsis Crzsis is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA, US
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi AW Lee--
how long did your friend's husband waited before he was deported?

we do have extended family there in HK but my brother doesn't know them too well, we've been here 14 years. we were still a kid when my family moved to the US.

yea my parents are really worried 'bout my brother, they already mentioned 'bout retiring in hk, but of course, the air / houses here in the US is much better. HK is way too crowded/humid.

thanks for the quick reply...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-30-2006, 07:42 AM
CarlM CarlM is offline
Immigration.. 'stuff'
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: OH, USA
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzsis
but will he have a problem going to other parts of Asia and Europe? He will be a free man once he hands in Hong Kong, correct?

Does anyone know? Any suggestions/insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again!!
There is no reason why he should have a problem anywhere else. He will be a free man, and other countries of the world couldnt care less about American 'crimes'.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Michellita Michellita is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MN, USA & San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Question Moving after deportation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlM
There is no reason why he should have a problem anywhere else. He will be a free man, and other countries of the world couldnt care less about American 'crimes'.
Hi CarlM,
Are you saying that most other countries outside the US don't do a background check on American crimes? So if my husband wanted to go to Canada or European countries the only issue he may have is getting a working visa?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-30-2006, 01:41 PM
CarlM CarlM is offline
Immigration.. 'stuff'
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: OH, USA
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellita
Hi CarlM,
Are you saying that most other countries outside the US don't do a background check on American crimes? So if my husband wanted to go to Canada or European countries the only issue he may have is getting a working visa?
The background checks are usually carried out in the country of citizenship, not the country of residency. I lived in France, UK and Cyprus before moving to US - they sure didnt check them all, just the UK. Many other country's have much more relaxed rules about residency and citizenship, and perform a very basic name check. Less developed countries dont even have a central database to check! Although the US welcomes more immigrants than any other country, it is also the hardest country in the world to emigrate to due to the amount of careful checking that goes on. Remember tho, if the new country asks a specific question (have you EVER been convicted etc..), it is always best to be entirely honest - we all know the consequences for lying!

Last edited by CarlM; 05-30-2006 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Michellita Michellita is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MN, USA & San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Thanks CarlM for being such an informative moderator.


~Me
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-01-2006, 07:14 AM
CarlM CarlM is offline
Immigration.. 'stuff'
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: OH, USA
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellita
Thanks CarlM for being such an informative moderator.


~Me
Glad to help!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-03-2006, 08:09 PM
AW Lee AW Lee is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: brooklyn, ny
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzsis
Hi AW Lee--
how long did your friend's husband waited before he was deported?

we do have extended family there in HK but my brother doesn't know them too well, we've been here 14 years. we were still a kid when my family moved to the US.

yea my parents are really worried 'bout my brother, they already mentioned 'bout retiring in hk, but of course, the air / houses here in the US is much better. HK is way too crowded/humid.

thanks for the quick reply...
Crzisis -

Because my friend was extremely lucky (and very pushy) her husband left in 3 weeks after being transferred to County Jail.

She made sure his passport was up-to-date and told the Deportation officer the probation officer kept his passport. She kept going to see his Deportation officer. It took her 1 week to get everything on the right track. And he was put on the next available flight home which took another 2 weeks.

But her husband was undocumented that's probably why it went so quick.

My husband has a green card and his case is taking a little longer.

Good Luck! You can always PM me if you've more questions.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
America's Corrupt Legal System FriscoLady Crime & Court Talk 39 12-10-2008 01:46 AM
Article: Prisoner Reentry: Who's Coming Home? MoMo Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service 3 10-14-2007 03:28 PM
An article I wrote about my prisoner correspondence sincere Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk 50 08-10-2006 01:39 PM
Justin Dart sherri13 World Prison News 5 06-26-2002 03:30 AM
New Uncensored from Texas Death Row Sabine Death Row - What you need to know! 1 05-20-2002 04:03 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics