Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:41 PM

Default So what do you all think about Lewis?

Hi,
Iím surprised no one has brought this up yet. What do you think about the security issues at Lewis and the concerns about Charles Ryan? This is the time to write to your reps about downsizing the prison population.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SadSurprised For This Useful Post:
Kyliie (05-01-2019), Parkertohavasu (05-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2019, 08:59 PM

I don’t know much about it except what i just googled briefly & have heard from the person i know at Lewis, that theyre constantly on lock down all the time because COs get jumped/assaulted.

I only have this to say. I believe the whole jail/prison system, specifically in Arizona, needs to change & be geared more towards rehabilitation. I also think/believe COs should get paid more . Inmates are loved ones , people , HUMAN. The environment they live in , only increases issues & makes them act the way they do.
COs can do good but are limited, they deserve more pay , as they are inside the walls as well & have to deal with people assaulted at any moment & the CRAZY low ratio of COs to inmates.

But if the prison system was better & they were treated better it wouldnt be as bad, of course there would be some who always want to assault another person.

I apologize if using inmate offends , im not sure how to say it as such a broad term.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (05-11-2019), Parkertohavasu (05-17-2019), SadSurprised (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSurprised View Post
Hi,
I’m surprised no one has brought this up yet. What do you think about the security issues at Lewis and the concerns about Charles Ryan? This is the time to write to your reps about downsizing the prison population.
I am PISSED!

I just got off the phone with my BF after not talking to him for almost a week due to them being locked in their cells with freaking padlocks!!! He said they were doing showers until 2 AM last night. He was put on the call list twice and scratched off without a call both times. It sounds like absolute and utter chaos and confusion there. If it took them until 2 AM to get everyone showered, can you imagine them having to evacuate inmates in the case of a fire or emergency? This is a disaster waiting to happen and quite frankly I am beyond livid. This is a huge safety issue!

There is a video and article posted to ABC15 yesterday in regards to the issues. I can't link it here because I haven't hit 25 posts yet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BBQueen For This Useful Post:
Kyliie (05-01-2019), lizlizzie2 (05-11-2019), Parkertohavasu (05-17-2019), SadSurprised (05-01-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
I donít know much about it except what i just googled briefly & have heard from the person i know at Lewis, that theyre constantly on lock down all the time because COs get jumped/assaulted.

I only have this to say. I believe the whole jail/prison system, specifically in Arizona, needs to change & be geared more towards rehabilitation. I also think/believe COs should get paid more . Inmates are loved ones , people , HUMAN. The environment they live in , only increases issues & makes them act the way they do.
COs can do good but are limited, they deserve more pay , as they are inside the walls as well & have to deal with people assaulted at any moment & the CRAZY low ratio of COs to inmates.

But if the prison system was better & they were treated better it wouldnt be as bad, of course there would be some who always want to assault another person.

I apologize if using inmate offends , im not sure how to say it as such a broad term.

I dont think that CO's should get paid more...unless it comes out of the pockets of the people up top profiting off of the families of inmates. I do agree that they need to focus more on rehabilitation... but I honestly doubt that will happen because money has to be used to fund those programs. They can't even get doors that properly lock, pretty sure they are not concerned about the rehabilitation of inmates. AZDOC is a joke.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBQueen For This Useful Post:
Kyliie (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Iím surprised no one has brought this up yet. What do you think about the security issues at Lewis and the concerns about Charles Ryan? This is the time to write to your reps about downsizing the prison population.
I was keeping an eyes in here to check of someone would talk about it.
Thank you
Old 05-01-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQueen View Post
I am PISSED!

I just got off the phone with my BF after not talking to him for almost a week due to them being locked in their cells with freaking padlocks!!! He said they were doing showers until 2 AM last night. He was put on the call list twice and scratched off without a call both times. It sounds like absolute and utter chaos and confusion there. If it took them until 2 AM to get everyone showered, can you imagine them having to evacuate inmates in the case of a fire or emergency? This is a disaster waiting to happen and quite frankly I am beyond livid. This is a huge safety issue!

There is a video and article posted to ABC15 yesterday in regards to the issues. I can't link it here because I haven't hit 25 posts yet.
I'm totally agree with you and I'm in the same situation like you. Well, not really cause my BF is in Buckley and not Morey. But some kind of same shit.

If we stand up all together for our LO, the prison administration might do something.

There is the "middle ground prison reform " they work on that and have a conference soon about that.
Take a look on that:

Middle Grounders:

I don't mean to keep pestering you with information about the non-operational locks at Lewis (and at other prisons, as we are hearing also). But here is a picture of the so-called temporary "solution" that the DOC has come up with -- padlocks on all cells at Buckley and Morey Units!* This is an extremely important safety issue!

We can't believe the State Fire Marshal has approved this option, but -- according to DOC -- this plan has been approved as a temporary measure to protect the "safe, orderly operation of the prison."

Middle Ground Prison Reform has been invited/urged to participate with AZCPOA (Arizona Correctional Peace Officer's Association) in a news conference on Tuesday morning at 11 a.m. at the AZCPOA offices, located at 1344 East McDowell, Suite 401.* In an unprecedented move, we have AGREED to stand in support with them*because the issue of staff AND inmate safety is equally important and the non-operational locks affects both groups.

Andrew McCormick died in 2018 because inmates had easy access to his cell and they entered it (non operational door lock) and assaulted him.* He died a few days later after being in a coma.* Many of you may already have seen the news coverage on ABC Channel 15 TV (Phoenix) and the videos of inmates swarming out of their cells (all non-operational locks) and assaulting staff.* Both scenarios are entirely unacceptable and unconscionable.

Imagine your loved one locked with a padlock in his/her cell and an emergency begins which requires evacuation of the pod or entire building.* How many of you think that one or more staff members would hang around long enough to run around and individually unlock each and every padlock until every inmate was safely removed?

That's why we're in solidarity with the staff on this one.* Stay tuned.

Donna Leone Hamm, Judge (Ret.)*

Director, Middle Ground Prison Reform

CEO, Donna Leone Hamm Consulting

139 East Encanto Drive

Tempe, Arizona* 85281

(480) 966-8116

MIDDLE GROUND IS ARIZONA'S PREMIER ADVOCACY ORGANIZATION FOR THE* INCARCERATED, SINCE 1983
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyliie For This Useful Post:
BBQueen (05-01-2019), Parkertohavasu (05-17-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:35 AM

how I see it is,
Better pay = more COs
More COs = more rec time, more programs, more 1 on 1 time if needed.
But you're right it probably wont happen. As much as they spend on building new prisons, the more older prisons/ran down prison fall more and more on the bottom of the list to fix.

Quote:
I dont think that CO's should get paid more...unless it comes out of the pockets of the people up top profiting off of the families of inmates. I do agree that they need to focus more on rehabilitation... but I honestly doubt that will happen because money has to be used to fund those programs. They can't even get doors that properly lock, pretty sure they are not concerned about the rehabilitation of inmates. AZDOC is a joke.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (05-11-2019), Sylph (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:23 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,617 Times in 15,971 Posts

Quote:
I am PISSED!

Its always ok to message any Staff member for assistance Here is the article you were talking about:

Prison director Charles Ryan faces ABC15ís questions over broken cell doors

Arizona Department of Corrections Director Charles Ryan said broken door locks in multiple units of Lewis Prison have not been fixed because other security projects needed to be evaluated first.

ABC15 asked Director Ryan about the broken doors after a recent public event. He said his department has received millions to repair locks and security at prisons, but other projects have taken precedence over the units at Lewis.

The ABC15 Investigators expose leaked surveillance videos and documents from inside Lewis Prison. Experts call it one of the most chaotic and dangerous environments they've ever seen. Click here to read the full investigation.

Read the entire article HERE.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
BBQueen (05-01-2019), Kyliie (05-01-2019), Sarianna (05-01-2019), sidewalker (05-11-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
how I see it is,
Better pay = more COs
More COs = more rec time, more programs, more 1 on 1 time if needed.
But you're right it probably wont happen. As much as they spend on building new prisons, the more older prisons/ran down prison fall more and more on the bottom of the list to fix.

But is the pay the problem? Or is it the fact that the DOC is ill-equipped to handle the safety of their employees? I dont know if you have seen the video footage, but how are they going to get more people to work there if they are not able to do their jobs safely?

You have inmates on 4 and 5 units that are roaming free around their pods! Walking into other inmates cells and assaulting them in addition to multiple staff assaults (that have been reported). There was another staff assault just the other day! My boyfriend is in Lewis (a 4 yard), and someone correct me if im wrong, but I believe they are on lockdown 23/24 with 1-hour of rec time. They are not supposed to be roaming freely around the unit and doing as they please. No wonder they can't get DOC staffed correctly! They already do a dangerous job but not having proper locking doors on high-security units takes that to an entirely different level.

There needs to be an overhaul of personnel starting from the top.
In all honesty, this situation is absolutely disgusting. The lack of regard for the safety and care of both the staff and inmates is inexcusable.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
But is the pay the problem? Or is it the fact that the DOC is ill-equipped to handle the safety of their employees? I dont know if you have seen the video footage, but how are they going to get more people to work there if they are not able to do their jobs safely?

You have inmates on 4 and 5 units that are roaming free around their pods! Walking into other inmates cells and assaulting them in addition to multiple staff assaults (that have been reported). There was another staff assault just the other day! My boyfriend is in Lewis (a 4 yard), and someone correct me if im wrong, but I believe they are on lockdown 23/24 with 1-hour of rec time. They are not supposed to be roaming freely around the unit and doing as they please. No wonder they can't get DOC staffed correctly! They already do a dangerous job but not having proper locking doors on high-security units takes that to an entirely different level.

There needs to be an overhaul of personnel starting from the top.

In all honesty, this situation is absolutely disgusting. The lack of regard for the safety and care of both the staff and inmates is inexcusable.
You're right about the situation and yesterday they didn't have rec time.

All of this is a big mess. The director was there looking for what they gonna do. But they still don't know.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:03 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyliie View Post
You're right about the situation and yesterday they didn't have rec time.

All of this is a big mess. The director was there looking for what they gonna do. But they still don't know.
The fact that this has happened, and that it took ABC15 doing an expose to even got something done about it is shameful. These reports of broken locks go back to 2016. Charles Ryan stated that they get "5 million dollars in building repairs" budgeted per year. Some of this money is funded from the $25 application fee that is paid when you apply for visits. My question is, where is this money going if this has been happening for the past 3-4 years?

As a taxpayer and loved one of an inmate I am appalled. I already worry about my man being safe in there, but seeing those videos and hearing about all of these issues have caused me a great deal of additional concern.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBQueen For This Useful Post:
Pamelaspeach (05-07-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 03:37 PM

Let's work on writing our lawmakers to reduce inmates' sentences then it can free up cash for our state's teachers, prison COs, and prison building repairs. All of our inmates deserve shorter sentences with more concentrated rehabilitative programs. I would love to see Truth-in-Sentencing go and become retroactive to all.

We are already spending $1 billion on housing inmates, and it doesn't sound like it is enough to keep them safe. There are too many people... reminds me of the song Land of Confusion.

There's too many men
Too many people
Making too many problems
And not much love to go round
Can't you see?
This is a land of confusion.

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's copyright rules

Last edited by patchouli; 05-03-2019 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: Copyright - giving credit.
BBQueen (05-01-2019), Kyliie (05-01-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 PM
here

The ACLU is doing a march tomorrow in protest of this, if anyone was interested in attending.
https://secure.ngpvan.com/Rm-VXB3ozE...RyJaniQbrrS5g0

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
Kyliie (05-02-2019), patchouli (05-03-2019), SadSurprised (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:18 PM
here

And for anyone who needs help with contacting elected officials (federal and local) terse is ResistBot. You can find it on Facebook, and twitter, or by text message (text 50409). Great for people with anxiety about making calls.

BBQueen (05-03-2019), Kyliie (05-02-2019), SadSurprised (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 12:48 AM

Also this is where you contact your lawmakers: https://www.azleg.gov/alisStaticPage...tactMember.asp

Just follow the instructions and write a simple and short message. They like short and simple because they get a lot of mail. Sometimes I get direct replies. I write every month mostly about the same thing. I tell them I want the truth-in-sentencing law repealed and retroactive for all. You have to keep at them to get things done.

Ask for whatever you’d like. This is your government, and you make the laws.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SadSurprised For This Useful Post:
BBQueen (05-03-2019), Kyliie (05-03-2019), patchouli (05-03-2019), Shelby67 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 11:15 AM

They are now moving "high-risk" inmates out of Lewis to other locations across phoenix, but also says they are just trying to reduce the use of padlocks.

They used 1,000 padlocks from an article I read, so a huge chunk of inmates should be getting moved. Wont that just cause over crowding and anger everyone even more?

But over crowded might be better then being padlocked shut but still. It's all crazy .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
BBQueen (05-08-2019), SadSurprised (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:48 PM
here

Quote:
They are now moving "high-risk" inmates out of Lewis to other locations across phoenix, but also says they are just trying to reduce the use of padlocks.

They used 1,000 padlocks from an article I read, so a huge chunk of inmates should be getting moved. Wont that just cause over crowding and anger everyone even more?

But over crowded might be better then being padlocked shut but still. It's all crazy .
The sad reality is this move, no matter how necessary is going to be a clusterfuck. Inmates who should have been separated are going to end up on the same yard, and higher custody will end up on lower yards.

Bu the fire Marshall is involved, and until he is happy there is nothing DOC can say about it.

BBQueen (05-08-2019), jordan321 (05-09-2019), SadSurprised (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 12:35 AM

It’s so unfortunate it has gotten to this point. Last year DOC was sued for substandard health care, and this year there are serious safety concerns. It’s like a game of whack-a-mole. Different problems keep popping up. The system can’t handle it. Meanwhile I hear there is some kind of reality show being shot over in one of the Florence prisons. I’m not sure where the mismanagement is coming from. Lawmakers? The governor? Charles Ryan? Is Charles Ryan hamstrung because there is such a large prison population? What is going on?
The Following User Says Thank You to SadSurprised For This Useful Post:
Parkertohavasu (05-17-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 04:40 AM

The show i think youíre talking about is 60 days in , that went to the Pinal county jail. That jail is not part if ďADOCĒ its separate & ran by Sheriff Pamb. A sheriff that is actually really caring & has great values & shows he cares for inmates in his jail & his staff. But if its a new show im not what that one is
Quote:
Itís so unfortunate it has gotten to this point. Last year DOC was sued for substandard health care, and this year there are serious safety concerns. Itís like a game of whack-a-mole. Different problems keep popping up. The system canít handle it. Meanwhile I hear there is some kind of reality show being shot over in one of the Florence prisons. Iím not sure where the mismanagement is coming from. Lawmakers? The governor? Charles Ryan? Is Charles Ryan hamstrung because there is such a large prison population? What is going on?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM

I will check on which show it is. I heard about it from our LO who is an inmate. Interesting though...
The Following User Says Thank You to SadSurprised For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Sheriff Lamb** lol im interested to see what that show is 🤔
Quote:
I will check on which show it is. I heard about it from our LO who is an inmate. Interesting though...
The Following User Says Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 12:20 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,483 Times in 583 Posts

1. Does anyone know which former S.Ct. Justices Ryan has allegedly appointed to look into the mess we call the DOC?

2. I agree with the posts on better pay. I too think part of the problem is staffing. For the inmates to be handled in a humane manner and to have more programs, or even engage in the programs already in place, along with everything from showers to phones, there needs to be enough guards and those guards need to be trained properly. Part of the problem when Kingman rioted, and which continues to be a problem, even with the contract pulled from MTC and given to GEO, has been not enough guards. Private prisons don't provide as much training and pay several dollars an hour less. That stuff needs to be written into the contracts we award them, because we know their CEOs and other executives in private prison companies are getting huge bonuses. But, the pay scale across the board needs to be rai
sed.
a. People willing to put their life at risk everyday for $14 to $16 an hour are desperate, crazy, or on power trips. A reasonable pay, you are going to get better human beings for the positions.
b. Lack of training creates more risk for inmates and guards.
c. Working multiple shifts does result in bigger problems, yet, a large portion of the guards are doing so because every prison is short on staff in AZ.
d. Better pay would go a long way toward curing the problem of not having enough people to fill guard positions.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 06:22 AM

I’m not sure who Ducey has investigating. That’s a good question. I agree with the pay but where is this money going to come from? We are spreading sinking 1 billion dollars of taxpayer money into this annually to the chagrin of our school teachers. We have to downsize this prison population. It’s unmanageable. Meanwhile, we aren’t paying our teachers enough. We rank 4th in incarceration population, but last in teacher pay.

Last edited by SadSurprised; 05-11-2019 at 06:24 AM..
BBQueen (05-11-2019), Parkertohavasu (05-17-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 10:16 AM

I knew i wasnt the only ome who thought the pay should be higher.
Yes the question is where it should come from.

We need to go back to the inmates growing the fruits & veggies for themselves & spend the money from commissary on quality food. That shit is way over priced but wheres the money going too?

If their were more programs & quality guards & better medical staff , i bet the inmates would stop destroying things a good bit & there wouldnt be as many repairs needed.

Its gotta come first before the inmates control themselves more . It has to come from the guards & prison system. The inmates have already been promised rewards & have seen little in return .

Also the 85% sentence things need to go .
The Following User Says Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 10:04 PM
here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizlizzie2 View Post
1. Does anyone know which former S.Ct. Justices Ryan has allegedly appointed to look into the mess we call the DOC?

2. I agree with the posts on better pay. I too think part of the problem is staffing. For the inmates to be handled in a humane manner and to have more programs, or even engage in the programs already in place, along with everything from showers to phones, there needs to be enough guards and those guards need to be trained properly. Part of the problem when Kingman rioted, and which continues to be a problem, even with the contract pulled from MTC and given to GEO, has been not enough guards. Private prisons don't provide as much training and pay several dollars an hour less. That stuff needs to be written into the contracts we award them, because we know their CEOs and other executives in private prison companies are getting huge bonuses. But, the pay scale across the board needs to be rai
sed.
a. People willing to put their life at risk everyday for $14 to $16 an hour are desperate, crazy, or on power trips. A reasonable pay, you are going to get better human beings for the positions.
b. Lack of training creates more risk for inmates and guards.
c. Working multiple shifts does result in bigger problems, yet, a large portion of the guards are doing so because every prison is short on staff in AZ.
d. Better pay would go a long way toward curing the problem of not having enough people to fill guard positions.
Off the top of my head I don't remember. I will recommend following Jimmy Jenkins from KJZZ (the local NPR) who reports on the DOC a LOT. (Has actually been mentioned and bitched about by DOC while covering the Parsons case). He is where I get probably 85% of my info about the new and interesting ways DOC is fucking up crap.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (05-17-2019), Parkertohavasu (05-17-2019)