Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Ohio that do not fit into any other Ohio sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:56 PM

Exclamation How does DOC choose which halfway house? Phone w/no camera/internet?

I was notified that someone I know in prison will be released beginning of August. His sentence isnt done until January 2020 but he is supposed to get TC and go to a halfway house. When he is released and gets to whatever halfway house they put him in, when will he be able to contact anyone and I heard they are allowed to have phones with no camera and stuff, where do you buy those phones so they can contact people back home? Also, how do they pick where they send him? This is all new to me, so I have a lot of questions. Thank you in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2019, 06:33 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,488 Times in 16,824 Posts

You might find a phone w/o internet and camera on ebay or amazon; if you know someone with an old government (Obama) phone, before they went to smart phones, it would be pretty plain (no camera or internet capabilities).

I've heard they'll try to get an offender in a halfway house close to home, but I think in reality its wherever a bed opens up.

Congrats to your friend!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-22-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
You might find a phone w/o internet and camera on ebay or amazon; if you know someone with an old government (Obama) phone, before they went to smart phones, it would be pretty plain (no camera or internet capabilities).

I've heard they'll try to get an offender in a halfway house close to home, but I think in reality its wherever a bed opens up.

Congrats to your friend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia.cole92 View Post
I was notified that someone I know in prison will be released beginning of August. His sentence isnt done until January 2020 but he is supposed to get TC and go to a halfway house. When he is released and gets to whatever halfway house they put him in, when will he be able to contact anyone and I heard they are allowed to have phones with no camera and stuff, where do you buy those phones so they can contact people back home? Also, how do they pick where they send him? This is all new to me, so I have a lot of questions. Thank you in advance for the help.
hello, he will have to complete TC before he is even considered for a halfway house. That's a very long and intense program. he will have to be accepted by the community corrections board as well as the specific halfway house he puts in for. They prefer that he goes to a halfway house in the county he fell from. However, not all counties have halfway houses. He will have to have some type of tie in the city where the halfway house is. They prefer family, but I have seen friends that live in the county be acceptable.

not all offenders are required to get cell phones with no cameras. That is usually for sex offenders. They are limited on cameras as well as Internet. My son was in a halfway house and we got him an iPhone and it was acceptable to the halfway house and to parole. every halfway house is different and has different rules on when he can call.

Finally, you may get more responses if you post in the Colorado forum versus the Ohio for him. Hopefully the moderators will move your post.

Last edited by nancyginnm; 07-22-2019 at 07:42 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,171 Times in 3,065 Posts

Quote:
Finally, you may get more responses if you post in the Colorado forum versus the Ohio for him. Hopefully the moderators will move your post.
He's in an Ohio prison, not a Colorado prison.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post

Congrats to your friend!
I just looked on Walmart online and they have what looks to be a non smart phone available by Jitterbug. While it is geared towards senior citizens it would be a possible option to get. Priced at $69.xx.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amandainohio For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
He's in an Ohio prison, not a Colorado prison.
My bad. The thread was listed below s Colorado thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-23-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 08:12 AM

Found out yesterday he's going to one in Canton. Does anyone know what the name of it is in Canton, or is there more than one in Canton? Want to find out what they allow as far as phones and if he is able to wear normal clothes there. Also he was told they are required to get a job while there as well, anyone know if that is true? I think that would be really good for him if they are allowed to get a job and everything. Thank you all for your answers and help so far!!
Old 07-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia.cole92 View Post
Found out yesterday he's going to one in Canton. Does anyone know what the name of it is in Canton, or is there more than one in Canton? Want to find out what they allow as far as phones and if he is able to wear normal clothes there. Also he was told they are required to get a job while there as well, anyone know if that is true? I think that would be really good for him if they are allowed to get a job and everything. Thank you all for your answers and help so far!!
From what I saw on the doc website the one in Canton is called:
Community Treatment and Correction Center.

Address is (administrative office):
1432 E Tuscarawas
Canton, Ohio 44707

The facility address is:
1200 Market Avenue S.
Canton, Ohio 44707

Phone numbers listed are:
330-456-3565
330-453-8401

The Following User Says Thank You to Amandainohio For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandainohio View Post
From what I saw on the doc website the one in Canton is called:
Community Treatment and Correction Center.

Address is (administrative office):
1432 E Tuscarawas
Canton, Ohio 44707

The facility address is:
1200 Market Avenue S.
Canton, Ohio 44707

Phone numbers listed are:
330-456-3565
330-453-8401
Thank you so much. I very much appreciate it!!
The Following User Says Thank You to alicia.cole92 For This Useful Post:
Amandainohio (07-28-2019)