Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 7,103 Times in 2,851 Posts
Default The Bible.........

I posted this in another thread but feel like I needed to put it in it's own thread, so as not to take over the other one. Please help me to understand my questions, I have many. I don't mean to offend any one.
Hear the word of the Lord, ye children of Israel: for the Lord hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because [there is] no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land. By swearing, and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery, they break out, and blood toucheth blood. Therefore shall the land mourn, and every one that dwelleth therein shall languish, with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven; yea, the fishes of the sea also shall be taken away.

And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and [thy] mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Matthew 19:16-19

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:10

Ok, here's my question on this. The Bible says these things above and cutting off hands, casting out eyes, etc. etc., now I know someone is going to say well it's not be taken literal. But then say something else, so how, who, when, why, and where do we decide when to take it literal? What to follow? How much can we believe of it when it's been passed through so many hands of "man"? I am trying so hard to understand, please don't be mad at me. Hubby is telling me to go read John 16 to find my answers. But than I have to pick up that book, the book that has me so confused! HELP!

also, ok, cavemen, and dinosaurs..........there isn't any factual reference to either in the Bible? So..................help me to understand, PLEASE!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Miss us?

Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,131 Posts

Oh I like this Thread already! Thank you for starting this one Reggie. I too have many questions and thoughts. This will also be a great area for those who have answers for others to ponder as well. A great area for those who are witnessing and ministering to sharpen their tools. Let's Roll!
member of the rubber band mama club

Last edited by BlessTheInmates; 04-23-2008 at 06:18 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to BlessTheInmates For This Useful Post:
reggie42 (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Account Closed

Thanks Bless.........I truly hope I find the answers I am searching for. And if it can help others, well, the more the merrier!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Account Closed

More ?????????????......................

how can one know what the particular Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic words mean?

how do you decide which "religion" is the right one? Catholic, Baptist, etc., which is the RIGHT one?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Miss us?

Ok then. Um lets see. Dinasaurs and the Bible. I got these things from this webpage Link. I'm confused but maybe somebody will chime in on your questions Reggie.

http://www.creationists.org/dinosaurs.html

Job 40:15-24
"Behemoth" description fits that of a dinosaur

17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.

In the Middle East, there are several species of trees that would qualify for "cedar" status.

the term "dinosaur" didn't exist until the 19th century. Prior to that, they were mostly referred to as 'dragons'.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlessTheInmates For This Useful Post:
reggie42 (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Miss us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie42 View Post
More ?????????????......................

how can one know what the particular Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic words mean?

how do you decide which "religion" is the right one? Catholic, Baptist, etc., which is the RIGHT one?
I know one Christian who worships Saints.
I know one Christian who doesn't worship Saints.
I know one Christian who idolizes.
I know one Christian that will not idolize.
I know one Christian who believes only 140,000 will go to heaven.
I know one Christian who believes earth is where the rest of us will be resurrected to.
I know one Christian who believes in the Trinity.
I know one Christian who says there is no Trinity.
I know one Christian who believes Jesus died on a Cross.
I know one Christian who beleives Jesus died on a Stake.

I know one person who can't spell! Sorry for all the typo's. I tried to correct them all. But my brain is confusioned.

Last edited by BlessTheInmates; 04-23-2008 at 07:30 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlessTheInmates For This Useful Post:
bernadette (04-23-2008), moma k (04-23-2008), reggie42 (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Account Closed

Confucius says what? hmmmmmmmm........
Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Miss us?

Quote:
Confucius says what? hmmmmmmmm........
That makes two of us Confucius..hehe!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Account Closed

Anyone????????? Please jump in, I welcome and want all responses and opinions.........factual, beliefs, or whatever. I am searching for answers, you may just have them!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Donation Award 

Back when I was in ministry work, I was in charge of a place that got church volunteers from all sorts of churches to work together to help with specific needs of people who called for help. When different volunteers would get to arguing over whose church was right, I used to quote them a verse from one of Paul's epistles about how we all "see through a glass darkly" and some other verses (like "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God") to help people realize that maybe all the different churches were right about some things and wrong about others - that any formalized tradition of religion that humans had developed would have flaws, but all of them had the core of truth - love God, love others, forgive and accept forgiveness. And I'd also tell 'em if we'd quit focusing on theological differences and worked on helping get this person budget counseling or that one a bed to sleep in, we'd all be serving God, however we might worship differently on Sunday or Saturday.

Smarter people than me have pointed out that the Bible can be used to support any position - didn't people use it to justify slavery? I was taught that to measure truth, look at whether the interpretation of a particular verse match with other verses in other parts of the Bible. (For example, those verses used to justify slavery were clearly not being interpreted correctly, because they were negated by other verses calling us all children of God, etc.) The basics are consistent and Jesus said it best - the whole Law and all the holy writings boil down to this: Love God with your whole being, and love your neighbor as yourself.

Don't know if that helps. I'm pretty lost these days myself.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dezember2012 For This Useful Post:
BlessTheInmates (04-24-2008), Dayton_Bada (09-23-2008), moma k (04-23-2008), reggie42 (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 07:59 PM

I don't think this is even an answer to your question, but someone asked what is the
"right" religion. I don't believe there is any right or wrong, everyone has their own beliefs. I am a protestant and wouldn't be comfortable in othe religions but I do respect all of them. Perhaps you could find help in a website called Bible Gateway,
it might clarify some of your questions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to socal mom For This Useful Post:
moma k (04-23-2008), reggie42 (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Miss us?

Jesus was/is 100% Man, 100% God. Something we're not really able to understand because we think in wholes and halves etc.

(copy and pasted)
Jesus is the key to membership in God’s family. When He stooped to our level by becoming a man, He made it possible for us to relate to Him and for God to relate to us through Him

God creates everything. He is Perfect. Why are we not Perfect?
moma k (04-23-2008), reggie42 (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Account Closed

Thank you for your responses. I will be thinking about this for days and days. You know I was thinking about how earlier today my husband stopped by MickeyD's for lunch. He is a soldier, and was in uniform........anyway, there was a homeless man asking for something to eat. Hubby said people all but stepped on him to get in the door and not one person even looked at him. So my husband went in, got our order and and extra of everything and went out and handed the man food and a coke. He was so happy, but my husband was very upset. He said, it is a sad world when someone will not even feed another man off a dollar menu. Don't know where I was going with this...........just that maybe all God wants from us, is compassion?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Miss us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezember2012 View Post
Back when I was in ministry work, I was in charge of a place that got church volunteers from all sorts of churches to work together to help with specific needs of people who called for help. When different volunteers would get to arguing over whose church was right, I used to quote them a verse from one of Paul's epistles about how we all "see through a glass darkly" and some other verses (like "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God") to help people realize that maybe all the different churches were right about some things and wrong about others - that any formalized tradition of religion that humans had developed would have flaws, but all of them had the core of truth - love God, love others, forgive and accept forgiveness. And I'd also tell 'em if we'd quit focusing on theological differences and worked on helping get this person budget counseling or that one a bed to sleep in, we'd all be serving God, however we might worship differently on Sunday or Saturday.

Smarter people than me have pointed out that the Bible can be used to support any position - didn't people use it to justify slavery? I was taught that to measure truth, look at whether the interpretation of a particular verse match with other verses in other parts of the Bible. (For example, those verses used to justify slavery were clearly not being interpreted correctly, because they were negated by other verses calling us all children of God, etc.) The basics are consistent and Jesus said it best - the whole Law and all the holy writings boil down to this: Love God with your whole being, and love your neighbor as yourself.

Don't know if that helps. I'm pretty lost these days myself.
Thank you so much! I'm loving the idea of Love God with your whole being and love your neighbor as yourself and worshiping differently on Saturday and Sunday as groups gathering.
moma k (04-23-2008), MotherJ (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Miss us?

Quote:
Thank you for your responses. I will be thinking about this for days and days. You know I was thinking about how earlier today my husband stopped by MickeyD's for lunch. He is a soldier, and was in uniform........anyway, there was a homeless man asking for something to eat. Hubby said people all but stepped on him to get in the door and not one person even looked at him. So my husband went in, got our order and and extra of everything and went out and handed the man food and a coke. He was so happy, but my husband was very upset. He said, it is a sad world when someone will not even feed another man off a dollar menu. Don't know where I was going with this...........just that maybe all God wants from us, is compassion?
Right On Reggie! Your hubby rocks! You do too! What a beautiful thing for him to do.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlessTheInmates For This Useful Post:
moma k (04-23-2008), MotherJ (04-23-2008), reggie42 (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Miss us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal mom View Post
I don't think this is even an answer to your question, but someone asked what is the
"right" religion. I don't believe there is any right or wrong, everyone has their own beliefs. I am a protestant and wouldn't be comfortable in othe religions but I do respect all of them. Perhaps you could find help in a website called Bible Gateway,
it might clarify some of your questions.
Thank you! I think my sister has sent me there before too. I found alot of information there. I better put that in my favorites so I can find it again. I'm not sure of the right or wrong thing either. I feel some of things are very right and very wrong at times.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Account Closed

Bless me and my hubby are overly sensitive............he came home wanting to build shelters across the US, LOL.............
Old 04-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,498 Times in 1,923 Posts

sits down reads.. boy this is like reading a license plate...

Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forward. ~Soren Kierkegaard

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justadeb For This Useful Post:
BlessTheInmates (04-24-2008), reggie42 (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Miss us?

hehehe! I think you and your Hubby are Gems!

Reggie, here's some abstract scary news, I think we spoke about this a little bit before. On a different subject but could this be connected in some warped way?

For the homeless - Tent City - recent news
Bulldozers and backhoes were brought in to grade a large field where tents once sat. A fence will go up around the 2.5-acre lot in about three weeks, and those who have been issued photo identification cards will be allowed in, Higbee said. In the meantime, they will be staying in tents across the street.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Account Closed

LOL Deb! heehee
Old 04-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Miss us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadeb View Post
sits down reads.. boy this is like reading a license plate...
HAHAHA! good one Deb!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Donation Award 

i had hope when i heard the Pope stepped foot on American soil again...hope that our good ol USA might feel some type of spiritual lifting

Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forward. ~Soren Kierkegaard

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justadeb For This Useful Post:
BlessTheInmates (04-24-2008), reggie42 (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Miss us?

Sigh, yeah huh. I saw something on tv but I know little about where and when or any of it. What happened?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Donation Award 

he went to nyc st pats ...ground zero i think and a few other places of intrest. see how much i paid attention.. i try to stay away from news these days..

The Following User Says Thank You to justadeb For This Useful Post:
BlessTheInmates (04-24-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Never giving up

Thanked 1,128 Times in 350 Posts

I think at lot of the bible was spoken in riddles and parables and of course, a whole different world. Their whole way of life was different.. I mean, geez, if we sacrifed our animals to God nowadays (old testament) we would be on our way to jail and horrifying the world on the way. Everyone would think we were a nut job. I have never really sat down and read the bible page for page simply cuz it speaks so differently that our culture, but if you fast forward into Jesus's day, its written a little clearer - still in parables, but more understanding. Ive basically just skipped around thru the new testament cuz I am lost in the old testament. Jesus was sent here to save us, but he also showed a more compassionate side of God, the father. God, in the old testament, was a stern God...but by sending Jesus, he seemed to mellow. I know that sounds strange, but that how I look at it.

In my opinion, to be a christian is to have total faith in God and try your hardest to do his will. We will fail on many occasions, but thats expected - our sins are already paid for in full.

My daughter and I go around about my feelings on God, she thinks cuz its written as it is - it still stands that way. I may be wrong and God help me if I am, but I think God adjusts to the times to accomodate some forgiveness for us. For instance, look at all the unwed mothers having children - not caring if they ever marry and are wonderful moms. In the old testament - that is a big no-no..you would be stoned for that. But in my way of thinking, God is not gonna condemn you to hell for that. If you are a good mother, live as good as you can and raise your children with God, I cant see this as a bad thing. I really dont see that as a sin worthy of hell. Of course, we still have the basic sins - but if you wake up along the way and are truly sorry and ask for forgiveness, God will forgive you. I was raised to believe that there is one deadly sin - blasphemy. But, I still cant see God turning his back on you if dropped on your knees and asked for forgiveness and truly meant it.

I dont know, I guess I cant picture God as being a hard-ass (no insult meant to God)....he is God after all...the supreme being - we can never, ever live up to his expectations, but we need to try and do the best we can. And I repeat, we will have MANY backslides along the way. BUT..God knows whats in your heart and he will not forsake you.

As far as religions go, I cant say that I believe one is better than the other. I dont really go to church. THe ones Ive been to have discouraged me more than encourage me. I expect to see sinners in church, myself included, but I cant stand the hyprocrites and uppity people....and Ive met my fair share. Ones that sit with you, but you can hear the judgment in their voices when they talk to you. The have nice clothes, live in a better neighborhood, drive better cars, dont have a child in trouble. I should keep looking for a church and maybe Im too sensitive, but a church is last place I would want to feel that judgment. I know there are good ones out there somewhere....and I guess the christian thing to do would be to forgive those people for judging me, but I am merely a human and dont have the patience that God does. I think it all boils down to we have one God, just some call him by different names and have different beliefs in how things should go. If they are saying you need to be a certain demonination to get into heaven - shame on them - how dare they judge your faith. Only God has that right.

I love this topic - thanks for opening it up. I could talk on this all day. As I grow older, my faith is also wanting to grow and Ive been doing a lot of soul searching about it. Maybe with age, life isnt taken for granted like it used to be - death is getting closer and closer.

I pray that I dont die and regret my beliefs , but I think God is the most loving, forgiving being there is. He knows all, there are no secrets from him. Words are just words - anyone care recite a prayer from memory. I find comfort just by talking to him, but Im sure others find comfort in receiting prayers. My grandmother was a big rosary person...every night she would receite her prayers.

Oh, Im sure there are lots of days God would just like to yank on my ear and tell me to get my sh*t together, but I truly feels like he loves me and I am child of God. We all are...even in our state of confusion and all our questions. See, all these questions are God's doings, it opens up all these wonderful, God searching, soul touching conversations !!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Leenie46 For This Useful Post:
BlessTheInmates (04-24-2008), justadeb (04-24-2008), MotherJ (04-23-2008), PT ROSE (05-01-2008), reggie42 (04-23-2008), TBIsonMom (04-23-2008)
Closed Thread