Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WEST VIRGINIA > West Virginia Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

West Virginia Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in West Virginia should be posted here.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 PM
1 Heart, 1 Soul, 2 Bodies

Angry Not allowed to submit home plan?

My husband is up for parole on June 4th and he attempted to submit the paperwork for his interstate transfer and home plan. I relocated a few years back to Washington State so his home plan will be out of state. The IPO at St Marys stated that she will not submit the paperwork for the interstate transfer because the parole board will not allow her to do so until after the parole hearing.
Apparantly, there is some rule or regulation that does not allow an inmate that is charged with a violent crime to begin the interstate transfer process until after the parole board has granted parole. So I guess he will be spending an additional 2-3 months incarcerated if he is granted parole so that all the paperwork can be completed between the two states . He is pretty aggravated and is weighing the options between parole in June or discharge in one year. Of course, I am all for him getting home ASAP but this is just getting outrageous.
Between finding this out and the 3 transfers between facilities in the last 3 weeks, we are both emotionally exhausted.
Has anyone heard of them not allowing VOs to begin the interstate transfer paperwork until after the parole hearing?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Князь Потёмкин

Interstate transfers take some time to go through. When we looked into doing it several years ago we were told they had to be submitted a minimum of 90 days beforehand. Calm down, have him submit it, and if he does make parole his status would most likely just be Pocket Parole until it is approved. It won't hurt him to try for the parole, go ahead with it since that means there's a shot at coming home earlier, as opposed to definitely waiting for his discharge! It's definitely a roller coaster no matter how you do it. My hubby is a nonviolent offender and was denied parole I think 4 or 5 times, then BAM! He made parole out of the Hole at Mt Olive. Go figure!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:53 AM

Thank you for responding. My nerves are shot! My husband sees the parole board on June 4th or 5th and I hope he is approved. He was so frustrated with everything that he was wanting to just waive the hearing and discharge but after he calmed down,thought it through and discussed it with me, he's decided to try for parole. However, they will not allow him to submit the paperwork for the interstate transfer or home plan until after the hearing and only if he is approved. I really don't understand how we have been told the same thing for the last 5 years and that was to submit the paperwork 90 days in advance. The 90 day mark hits and now it has changed to he can not submit the paperwork until after the hearing. They just transferred him to Pruntytown so I am hoping the IPO there will allow him to submit the paperwork. The IPO at St Marys told me the parole board does not allow her to submit the paperwork in advance and when I called the parole office I was told they don't have any say in that and I need to talk to the IPO. Oh well, we have no say in it so like my hubby keeps telling, hope for the best and expect the worst.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:02 PM

Good news today. They began the paperwork at Pruntytown for his home plan. I guess the paperwork hold is a discretionary decision on the part of the IPO.