Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California Topic and discussion specific to San Quentin State Prison located in San Quentin, California.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Banned

Default Norovirus at SQ

Hopefully this article will be helpful in understanding the virus that has caused so much disruption on all our lives.

Facts On Gastroenteritis And Noroviruses

POSTED: 4:57 pm EDT July 14, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

What is gastroenteritis? The symptoms of gastroenteritis are nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea accompanied by abdominal cramps. Some people also complain of headache, fever, chills and muscle aches. Symptoms are usually brief and last only one or two days. However, during that period, people can feel very ill and vomit, often violently and without warning, many times a day. Symptoms usually begin 24 to 48 hours after ingestion of the virus, but can appear as early as 12 hours after exposure.
What is norovirus? Noroviruses are members of a group of viruses called caliciviruses also known previously as “Norwalk-like viruses.” Norovirus affects the stomach and intestines, causing an illness called gastroenteritis. While this is sometimes incorrectly referred to as “stomach flu,” it is not the flu (or Influenza), which is a respiratory illness.

How serious is norovirus disease? Norovirus disease is usually not serious, although people may feel very sick and vomit many times a day. Most people get better within one or two days, and they have no long-term health effects related to their illness. However, sometimes people are unable to drink enough liquids to replace the liquids they lost because of vomiting and diarrhea. Those people can become dehydrated and might need special medical attention. This problem with dehydration is usually only seen among the very young, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems.

How is norovirus spread? While there is no evidence that sick people can become long-term carriers of the virus, the virus can be in the stool and vomit of infected people for as long as two weeks after they feel better.
People can become infected with the virus in several ways, including: Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,
Touching an object, such as a door knob or keyboard, which is contaminated with norovirus, then placing a hand to mouth,
Having direct contact with another person who is infected and shows symptoms, for example, sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill.
Because the amount of virus that can cause illness is so small, it is important to reduce the risk of spreading this virus by using appropriate cleaning measures:
Using a 1-to-10 chlorine bleach solution on hard surfaces, especially kitchens and bathrooms,
Steam cleaning carpet or upholstery that has been contaminated by feces or vomit from an ill person,
Not transporting soiled linens, bed clothing or other garments through a food preparation area unless they are bagged.
How contagious is norovirus? Norovirus is very contagious and can spread easily from person to person. Both stool and vomit are infectious. Particular care should be taken with young children in diapers who may have diarrhea. People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least three days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as two weeks after recovery. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good hand washing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness.
Can I get infected with norovirus more than once? A person can be infected with norovirus more than once. Although there is a short period of time (likely a few months) immediately following infection with Norovirus that a person is protected from reinfection, it is only a temporary protection.
What steps can I take to reduce my risk? Strict hand washing after using the bathroom and before handling food items is important in preventing the spread of the virus, because it continues to be present in the stool for as long as two to three weeks after the person feels better. One excellent way to prevent spreading the virus to others is daily wiping of doorknobs, faucets and commodes with a mild bleach solution made of one cup of bleach in nine cups of water. Care should be used to keep the solution off your skin and away from fabrics that may be damaged by the bleach. Family members should use separate hand towels for two to three weeks after symptoms go away.
People should keep in mind that the virus is easy to avoid with careful and frequent hand washing. Refrain from chewing on your fingernails, pencils or pens. Don’t even unwrap a piece of candy or gum without first washing your hands.
When should I seek help? Inability to retain sufficient fluids is the most critical concern, especially with young children. Monitor fluid intake and output, and seek immediate medical care to prevent complications from dehydration.

Last edited by Rachel; 01-04-2007 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: removal of adverts accidentally included in post
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Reminiscent User

Hi All, I went and saw my dad on Saturday (3/31) ... him AND his friend confirmed that there is another spread of Norovirus at San Quentin. Hopefully the guys built up some kind of immunity to it. They all seem a bit nervous about going through it again. It appears to be better contained and smaller numbers than last time.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 AM
geek

I heard it was going round again in the "gym".
Old 04-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

I sure hope it does not get as bad as last time and they get locked down again. I know how much you guys enjoy your visits. Hopefully they learned somethings the first time around and it does not get as widespread and out of control as it did in Jan.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Account Closed

Not again surely! never a dull moment at sq!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:52 PM

I hope this is just a joke
Old 04-02-2007, 05:37 PM

i hope not! lots of guys have kids visiting for easter.. hopefully its just a couple poeple sick with the flu.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Praying for Truth

It was April fool's day ...but if this is a real thing, I hope it doesn't last or spread too much. My friend is still waiting to get out of reception, (10 months and counting!) don't need any more delays to keep him from being transferred out.

"Plea bargaining is a way of trading the risk of 20 years to life, for the certainty of five to seven. But by creating this choice, American justice virtually guarantees that innocent people are being punished."

Old 04-02-2007, 10:19 PM

Default illnes at S.Q.

We had an attorney at S.Q. on Friday and he was with our guy from Badger. Our guy was sick and so are others but he (the Attorney) said it was not norvirus. I sure hope not. (not sure that I beleive it's not though), but this is what he said.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:04 PM

So i got a letter today and they had shut down the whole prison last friday. but now i hear it's just the gym. Anyone know for sure? I heard something about someone died in the gym due to westnile virus. so who knows whats really up but lets cross our fingers and pray that our loved ones are okay...
Old 04-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Drifter's Pyxi

Does Reception have access to the gym??? That is horrible!!!

~Pyxi
Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Account Closed

Apparently the virus has hit eb yard side, what a nightmare this is turning out to be! i hope everyones loved ones are doing ok!!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

How is your guy doing cathy did he get it? I do not remember if he had the first time around or not. I mentioned to my guy that it was going around again and he was like it was not a fun thing the first time and he wishes everyone well. He did say he was glad he was not there for the second go around and I am glad he is home with me also.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Oh Man!

I got a letter from my fiance today. He is in the gym. He says his bunky got it and was sicker than a dog. Letter dated 4/1
Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Reminiscent User

My father was arrested on April 1st ... as bad as that sounds, its a VERY solemn day for us every year . I assure you this is no joke. He said they transfered about 4 guys into North block who had it which is making them all nervous. I am just thankful it appears to not be as wide spread as earlier this year.

Last edited by SQRedemption; 04-04-2007 at 08:40 PM..
Old 04-05-2007, 04:54 AM
wifey

oh no i was waiting for a phone call last night never came lets hope they are all ok its so worrying
Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Banned

Well, dang, when I was visiting East Block this past Sunday, he did mention the norovirus thing that he had been sick again and was wondering if it's starting to go around again; now I read these posts and see he was right.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

They better of learned something from the first time or it is going to be the same thing all over again. From what I hear that thing passes very easily from person to person. My fiance says that when it was going around in Jan. they did not seperate the sick from the healthy and it was not a pretty site in there. He said it is really nasty and he does not wish it on anyone.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Letter

From my fiance's letter he says that the feds imposed mandatory yard time on the 1st to give the inmates fresh air. He said it was a real sight to see having all these guys sick with the virus all being shoved out onto the yard and then fighting it out over the 2 toilets. Good lord!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:07 AM

In December I got that nasty norovirus when I went to visit my honey. Ugggg, it the most intense bug I have ever had. I just keep thinking, two guys to a cell and one toilet, not pretty.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:34 PM
I love my son

I just received a letter from my grandsons dad. He's at SQ. He wrote on the envelope to wash my hands because he's sick with the Norovirus. He's in reception.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:14 PM
I love my son

Exclamation What is with this place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2323
From my fiance's letter he says that the feds imposed mandatory yard time on the 1st to give the inmates fresh air. He said it was a real sight to see having all these guys sick with the virus all being shoved out onto the yard and then fighting it out over the 2 toilets. Good lord!

I just read T2323's message................
My God!!!!!! WHat is wrong with this place!!!!!!!!!!! I HOPE and Pray they get a clue and help these guys out! What happens in Reception and other places in "reception" that don't have cells with toilets? I can only imagine the chaos and mess!!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:14 PM

They are not getting their yard time and the ventilation in there is very poor. I believe that the virus will only get worse if they don't start giving these guys some fresh air. I hope they find a solution soon....
Old 04-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Banned

It sounds like just what happen in Jan. and then they did not get it under controll for a few weeks. It started in reception then also. I would guess that guys who are transfered there from county are bringing it with them. I sure hope that is gets better soon and not get as bad as last time.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:43 AM
Account Closed

@ Shaa
hi there! hes doing ok right now, i spoke to him on friday and he was fine, im expecting a call later today, he didnt get it last time he managed to stay healthy, he didnt really mention it when i spoke to him on friday, he said he'd been out to yard as usual, and everything was fine with him, so im hoping it stays that way, right now hes doing very good
@ sharon....did you get a call yet? im not sure when you were expecting one, but i do know that on the 4th i got a call and he told me he didnt think he was going to be able to call becasue of some drama going on in another part of the prison, anyway by the time he was scheduled to get the phone at 8 cali time everything had settled down so he managed to call, i hope youve heard from your guy.