Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 1 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 1 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities: Apalachee-E CI, Apalachee-W CI, Bay CF, Blackwater River CF, Calhoun CI, Century CI, Franklin CI, Gadsden CF, Gadsden Re-Entry Center, Graceville CF, Gulf CI, Gulf CI-Annex, Holmes CI Jackson CI Jefferson CI Liberty CI NWFRC NWFRC Annex Okaloosa CI Quincy Annex Santa Rosa CI Santa Rosa Annex Wakulla CI Wakulla CI Annex Walton CI

Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 PM

Default Holmes CI-Norovirus

If anyone has a loved one at Holmes CI, apparently the norovirus has hit them here. It doesn't say anything about it on the DOC Website yet...but my husband just called me & told me. They are isolating all the guys that have it into a seperate dorm. I told him be careful, wash his hands alot, only eat from the canteen right now, etc...Because he said lots of guys that came back from dinner yesterday ended up sick...who knows, one of the inmates in the kitchen could've had the virus. What really gets me is they don't even have antibacterial soap there! My hubby works as a houseman so he's been bleaching down everything in the dorm extra good.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Missing half of my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoswifey View Post
If anyone has a loved one at Holmes CI, apparently the norovirus has hit them here. It doesn't say anything about it on the DOC Website yet...but my husband just called me & told me. They are isolating all the guys that have it into a seperate dorm. I told him be careful, wash his hands alot, only eat from the canteen right now, etc...Because he said lots of guys that came back from dinner yesterday ended up sick...who knows, one of the inmates in the kitchen could've had the virus. What really gets me is they don't even have antibacterial soap there! My hubby works as a houseman so he's been bleaching down everything in the dorm extra good.

You heard too, huh? My husband told me the same thing. On Sunday night, He said many guys were stricken with diarhea, (I'm a nurse, and STILL can't spell that particularly nasty word) and they sent some of them out. He said he had a brief bout with it, but only lasted a couple hours, while others were really sick. The next day, they came and took a bunch of guys off to quarantine. Well, I spoke to him yesterday, at about 5 PM EST, and he was fine. He was going to call me back at about 9PM, and he ALWAYS calls before I go to sleep. Except--he DID NOT call last night-- I am afraid they quarantined him also. Poor baby, he'll be miserable if he cannot talk to me.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:28 PM

Aw, well i hope he's ok...hopefully you hear from him soon. If u don't hear from him today maybe u can try calling medical.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:48 PM

Hey, have you heard from your husband yet? I have no heard from mine so I am hoping he's ok!!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Missing half of my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoswifey View Post
Hey, have you heard from your husband yet? I have no heard from mine so I am hoping he's ok!!

Hey girl! I spoke with my hubby--he's fine. He said they quarantined a number of guys, and that most of them are back now. However, yesterday he told me that a new round of it seems to be going around. Said his bunkmate has been throwing up and has diarrhea for two days now. He also said that they are getting really stingy with the food they are giving them. Said that tey "shake the spoon" at the trays and get less than half an already small portion. If I weren't sending him money to buy canteen junk, he would probably starve. They're supposed to get 2000 calories daily, he estimated they are getting about 1400 a day. I know they are trying to make the most of a small budget, but starving these guys is the wrong way to go. I don't know what to do about this. Not all the guys are getting additional funds from their families to supplement their diets--what are they going to do? When you are starving, you will do anything--I am concerned aabout my man--even though he's a big guy who can look very intimidating-I dont want him to get a DR for having to defend a candy bar from a desparate, starving man. Who do I complain to without getting my guy in trouble?

I hope you spoke with your husband and he is doing better.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:18 PM

Hey, thanks...yea i spoke to him & he's fine. But he told me the same thing the other day, that something has been going around again. After the guys came back from dinner, they were all sick. My husband doesn't eat many of the meals they serve, mostly from canteen. But unfortunately some guys don't have that type of support. I worry about my husband too even though he's tough looking lol...And that's the thing, sometimes you complain & it ends up getting taken out on your loved one...sad but true. I'm thinking maybe the inspector's office in tallahassee would be the best people to contact, the # is 850-487-3234. And since this is an issue regarding the prison & not your husband specifically, you may not even have to give them his name/dc#. If i were you i wouldn't give that info cuz it may come back to him & the prison may try to "retaliate" against him! Let me know what happens though cuz i'm thinking of calling too. If enough people call they'll have no choice but to do something. It can't hurt to try...
Old 02-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Its going around again? no wonder I haven't heard from my son...ugh it just kills me...
Old 02-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbawitz View Post
Its going around again? no wonder I haven't heard from my son...ugh it just kills me...
Yes, it is...it's the food....ick.. And i actually posted something from the doc website under the visitation forum....some dorms in holmes c.i. & hamilton c.i. had cancelled visits this weekend.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 AM

My husband works in the storage room of the kitchen at Hamilton CI and he said that the budget crunch has really started to show up there. They are really cutting down on the amount of food the guys are getting and it says it is not enough and thank God he can get from the canteen. Alot of dorms were hit and visitation was cancelled this weekend and he said it is really bad in some on them. Has alot to do with they hygeine of some people too.....he washes his hands alot and eats mostly from the canteen.....