Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW HAMPSHIRE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

NEW HAMPSHIRE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of New Hampshire - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, Visitation & Phones, mail and more

Old 05-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Aussie Card Fairy!!
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,009 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
The ACLU .pdf is not a complete, all-encompassing analysis of the various Court holdings related to mail. It is not intended to address the mailroom procedures of agencies in all fifty States.

If the agency in question has announced the rule, then it is in effect. It's that simple. Generally speaking, when administrative bodies propose a rule change, it is out there for public comment...but you would be surprised just how few people ever bother to comment (and of those that do, how few are actually a rational argument beyond 'hey, that's not fair').

Generally speaking, administrative rules are subject to the Board that oversees the agency. It is not a legislative thing for every little component of agency operations...and it certainly is not going to be a federal legislative issue for a State agency.

I have no idea what notice may have been provided in New Hampshire, nor quite honestly, do I care. Restricting cards is, however, no different than the restrictions on certain publications or, for that matter, the restriction on cards with bows, glitter or the musical components and batteries...the threshold for a compelling State interest is relatively low, and all they have to do is demonstrate a small number of incidents in which the cards had been utilized for the introduction of narcotics into the agency and the Court will generally not intervene.
Thanks heaps for the explanation....makes it easier for this bimbo to understand....
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2015, 06:13 PM

Thanked 8,406 Times in 4,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomes View Post
Thanks heaps for the explanation....makes it easier for this bimbo to understand....
Doubt anyone was going to go calling you a bimbo

The administrative processes, even from State to State, can be quite different even when there are similarities at a broad scale...but rare is the instance that a change occurs in a vacuum. By example, here in Texas, the Board of Criminal Justice and Board of Pardons and Paroles meetings are open to the public...but you can often count on one hand and have fingers left over how many members of the public attend...in a year. When there are proposed rule changes, they are published in the Texas Register with an address being given for where to send comment. Almost every change gets adopted with a confirmation from General Counsel that no comment was received from the public...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Nomes (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Aussie Card Fairy!!
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,009 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Doubt anyone was going to go calling you a bimbo

The administrative processes, even from State to State, can be quite different even when there are similarities at a broad scale...but rare is the instance that a change occurs in a vacuum. By example, here in Texas, the Board of Criminal Justice and Board of Pardons and Paroles meetings are open to the public...but you can often count on one hand and have fingers left over how many members of the public attend...in a year. When there are proposed rule changes, they are published in the Texas Register with an address being given for where to send comment. Almost every change gets adopted with a confirmation from General Counsel that no comment was received from the public...
Nice to know that even though we're a world apart (literally!) similarities exist...I keep saying that Australia should be 5 or 6 separate countries seens as though each state has their own rules and regulations and what happens in one state doesn't happen in another (s) Very frustrating for interstaters I reckon....must be the same up there, especially for anyone with incarcerated lo's or friends, when they can be moved so far away from home in Federal facilities...but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Thanks again for helping me understand....it's a pity sooo many people sit back and do nothing to the planning process but are up in arms after the fact (imho).

Hugs
Nomes
Old 05-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Donation Award 

Cards are mail....mail through the postal system should not be denied as such. I contacted the ACLU. They contacted me back and said to have the inmates contact them and they will send a form for them to fill out. They already know about this as some have contacted them already. ACLU stands for American Civil Liberties Union. Have your loved one write to NH ACLU, c/o Devon Chaffee Executive Director, 18 Low Ave., Concord, N.H. 03301 Or if they can call...603-225-3080
Old 05-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Donation Award 

I would like to know for myself if NH has any prior meetings where the public may have input for such a change in prison procedures and where that may be addressed prior to a decision by the Commissioner. Maybe they should include it here on Prison Talk for feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to pmitch10 For This Useful Post:
chris2009 (06-05-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Thanked 8,406 Times in 4,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmitch10 View Post
I would like to know for myself if NH has any prior meetings where the public may have input for such a change in prison procedures and where that may be addressed prior to a decision by the Commissioner. Maybe they should include it here on Prison Talk for feedback.
Where agencies are subject to Open Meetings provisions of law, there is a website that will generally have the information (ie. Secretary of State) and where one can often register for email notifications of pending meetings and the agendas. If there is a proposal for a change to Administrative Code, then there is often a required period for written comment. Open meetings do not mean the public input is invited in those meetings...and even when there is a slotted time for public comment, the public STILL generally does not show up. I have been to MANY meetings where I was the ONLY person there who was not there as a job requirement (ie. sitting in the meeting or presenting a topic).
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
pmitch10 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 03:28 AM
Donation Award 

Could be an awareness issue and taking time off from work to attend meetings. Thanks CenTexLyn!