Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Michigan prison Visitation, Phones & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's sub-forum category.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 PM

Default Number of books he can have?

My hubby said tonight that he thinks there's a limit on the number of books he can have. I checked the Personal Property Policy Directive and it just says books from allowable venders and from publishers... I don't see a limit on number of books (other than books that will fit in his footlocker I assume). Does anyone know if there is a limit? If I send him more, can he send them back to me or donate them to the prison library or something?

He's still in Reception right now, he's hoping wherever he goes has a decent library. But wants some non-fiction that may not be there.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2018, 08:47 PM

Thanked 2,940 Times in 1,791 Posts

I don't think there is a limit but you have to factor in where he will put them. He can send them home with you on visits that's what my husband has done through out the past three years. Some he's given away to people.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:44 AM

FIRST, I love the fact that he wants non-fiction. As a non-fiction writer myself, I appreciate the learning mind. But to add to your inquiry. I would suggest you just call the prison and ask them for clarification directly. Best regards.
The Following User Says Thank You to GZyberi For This Useful Post:
fretswife (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 06:27 PM

The prison library system is pretty good, they can order other books from the system
Old 04-21-2019, 02:11 PM

Smile

Most States policies say 2/3 books can be sent at a time. However, like you have said I don't think there was a limit to how many you send I think the issue is more how much property they are allowed at any given time. I would suggest sending 1/2 until you can speak to a CO/Mail room at the facility, asking them to clarify how many per package.
I have only ever sent one book at a time through Amazon but you must remember to select gift receipt when sending through them as they don't often enclose a receipt for one book orders.
The gift receipt will prove the books been purchased.
Like others have said you can ask your husband to send the books home at cost to him or donate to the library which is what I prefer my penpal does. Books are invaluable to those inside. I am unsure about whether he can hand them back at visitation due to security reasons. It would be really useful if you can keep us I formed about that.
Always worth asking.