Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Prison mail: Is both outgoing and Incoming mail monitored?

Hi,

I just got a letter from a penpal and there was a post-it note with the letter, but not in their hand writing. It said some bad things about this person. ???

T
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Closed

Ive never heard of anything like that. Why would someone in the mailroom write something bad about the person? Very odd. I hope you get an answer to this, I'll be curious to find out what happened.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Next parole...2014

i think it depends on the inmate's situation/case/status if their incoming and outgoing mail is read...my hubby said he believes his is still being read b/c they think he's the leader of a gang in there (which he's not) i believe they do scan the letters for "key" words...but i've never heard of a post-it note on the letter stating bad things, that is very odd
Old 02-20-2006, 03:02 PM

At Corcoran they would read all incoming mail but not the outgoing mail.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:03 PM

I suspect mail would be monitored by non-inmates, right? The whole thing seems strange. I mean, why would this person say those things about themself? DOH!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

In Michigan all incoming mail is monitored for key words. They do read some of the letters if they suspect something but I don't think everything is read. My mail that is outgoing does not appear to be read but I assume they could if they chose to.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Life DOES Go On! :)

Of course both incoming and outgoing mail can be monitored at anytime a sargeant orders it to be. Perhaps while under an investigation or for any reason they may want. Most often all incoming mail is skimmed for key words, and only rarely is outgoing mail monitored, but any and all mail can be monitored at any time. It's quite odd that a post it note would be included in a letter to you with such comments. Obviously someone added it after he sent it on it's way.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Boss

Most prisons that I know of do have the authority to read incoming and outcoming mail, although they usually don't read every single piece of mail.

I doubt prisoners have access to a post-it note- it was likely a staff person in the mailroom. How inapproriate. Now you got me curious as to what it says.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_luv

Now you got me curious as to what it says.
it basically said they're a liar and can't be trusted.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,594 Times in 2,182 Posts

It can be if there is reason too be .. but i have never heard of a post it downing an inmate that is strange
Old 02-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,027 Times in 7,142 Posts

Wildly inappropriate! The facility does have the right to monitor correspondance but does not have the right to put in their 2c about anyone's character... I'm the original winner of the Silver Spoon Award, so I'd be calling the prison's administrative office to report the incident but not everyone has my need to stir the pot.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:17 PM

I believe all mail is monitored. I agree that it is RIDICULOUS for any mailroom clerks to gather an opinion of someone, THAT is not their job.

I do think that mail should be monitored though, but only for reasons such as drugs/smuggling. Sadly it happens. Just one person can make all of the inmates lives a lot harder.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:23 PM

Default It does happen .....

TDCJ officials (here in Texas) cannot 'read' a letter (whether incoming or outgoing) unless they have the permission of a Warden. Of course, permission would be granted only if there was a bona fide reason to do so (ongoing investigation, suspicion of illegal/criminal activity, violation of rules, etc). Effectively, everything that goes into or out of the facilities here is 'scanned' (as was previously mentioned) for key words .....

As for the attached 'post-it note,' ... well ... I can do even better. Imagine, if you will, receiving a 1 page letter that tells nothing but lies about your loved one. I opened my box the other day and saw an envelope with handwriting I did NOT recognize. The odd thing was, it had my girl's name/number on the front and the address of the Unit from which she was recently transferred. The Jr. Warden had declared war on her and orchestrated her transfer behind a whole bunch of bovine scatalia (if you know what I mean). I stay in touch with a few of her friends (still at that old Unit) and they don't like that I speak of her in my letters (which last I checked is not illegal). The letter I received told me I was being "used" and claimed my girl has a lover (for many years now) and they are working together to "play" me. The letter would have been comical if it weren't so damn sad!!! So, yes ... it does happen. Some of the guards and Wardens can (and often do) take things a little too personally. They just can't admit that they are the ones who are really being "played" .....
Old 02-20-2006, 08:38 PM

fromzero,

damn, that is some crazy stuff.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Found my happiness!!

My baby's letters outgoing and incoming are monitored, thanks to one of NC's wonderful "rehabilitative programs". His outgoing have to be read and signed off on by a sgt or unit management before it can be mailed out, so I always feel like we have to share our relationship with everybody, them knowing our every personal thought and feeling, and knowing that that letter wasn't in his hand last. I can't wait til we're DOC free!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 03:36 AM
Much loved and sorely missed PTO Hero!

Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,095 Posts

Most Of My Friends In Different States Do Not Have Their Out Coming Mail Monitered Such As Pa, Never Monitered. Hope You Find Out What Is Actually Going On.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:22 AM

In one of the Indiana prisons they just instituted a prgram where the guards have to pick up mail at each individual cell, before it is sealed. they inspect the mail for contraband and hand the mail back to the offender to seal it. needkless to say the guards don't like it anymore than the guides.

If I recieved something like that in my mail, you better believe I would be on the phone to everyone in the corrections department... If my guy would let me, he knows better than I how to handle things inside.

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 02-21-2006, 10:23 AM

i know my letters that i send to him are read...i'm not sure that ALL of his that he sends to me are read though...sometimes they are cut open with tape on them...most of the time they are just sealed regularly...they have the stamp that says its inmate correspondence and if the reciever finds anything offensive or wrong you can send it back to the doc..
Strong Enough #79

When it's for real, it's forever
So don't forget about us
Old 02-21-2006, 10:40 AM

In federal prison, all outgoing and incoming mailed is opened, read and inspected.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:51 AM

Another thing, I received an envelope last week with no letter in it. It had a sticker on it saying it reached some post office in northern florida and it said received with no contents. I wrote my fiance about it so i will just have to wait to hear from him if he forgot to put the letter in it (which I doubt) or what. It was weird to say the least.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:47 AM
MrsT
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,763 Times in 868 Posts

In TDCJ, the mailboxes inmates can drop their outgoing mailings in are locked. The only people with the key are the personnel from the mail-room; not COs. The prison where I worked required the prisoners to not seal their envelopes -- for scanning by the mailroom people I guess.

Your situation, Tinian, appears to be a buttinski stepping over boundaries. I mean, if I worked in a post office and saw an outgoing letter from someone I didn't like, opened it up, and added a stick'em note informing the receiver that this particular person could not be trusted... shoooooot, there'd be all kinds of postal inspectors right on my a$$.

Sadly though, in prison , "who cares?" A few years ago, I received a letter from my man that had obviously been torn open and retaped. Sloppily I might add. I asked him first if he had done that; just in case. He hadn't. I then called the postal inspector office of that region and they basically told me there wasn't anything they could do about it. I believe there's not anything they "would" do about it -- just my opinion on that, though. The person I talked to acted like the prison world is a whole separate entity that can't be touched.

I believe it depends on what state your man is in and their policies on the mail handling. As some have already suggested, you could contact the warden by mail/phone and let him know what happened. Maybe send him a photocopy of the sticky note. He/She wouldn't know who did it, but it would bring it to their attention.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:56 AM
waiting patiently

Thumbs up what the deal?????

i dont think they ever read my husband mail cause every time i send money he always get the money order then he has to bring it back up to have it put on his books he is just a dorky white boy anyways that minds his own well maybe they were trying to tell you something like give you a heads up or maybe they were just being jerks i dont know if you find out i would like to know kinda curious

I love my bad boy!

Last edited by billy's angell; 02-21-2006 at 11:57 AM..
Old 02-21-2006, 12:15 PM

I was yold yes