Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:12 AM
Donation Award 

Default Ankle monitor

My fiancť got approved for parole (FI-1) and will be on an ankle monitor once released. The IPO visited him yesterday to verify his address. Will contact me by phone to verify the address too? Will they come by to visit before he comes home since heíll be on an ankle monitor? Thanks in advance for your answers.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2018, 08:57 AM

I was visited months ago prior to my husband's release so they could approve my home environment. I believe they need to approve where he is going before he can be released. Now that I have moved, they will have to come back and inspect my home. I'm surprised you haven't been contacted to make an in-home inspection appointment.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuzNJim For This Useful Post:
msladyj75 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 05:23 PM

When my LO was out on the monitor they did call to verify the address and also to let us know that there needed to be a landline to connect the monitor to. They did not visit the home until the day he was released. His PO came to install the monitor that evening and went over what areas of the house were safe after curfew.
msladyj75 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 04:02 AM

When my son had his ankle monitor we did not need to have a landline, it was all wireless and required the ankle monitor itself to be plugged in at night to recharge, how ever the little black box was freestanding and did not require anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
msladyj75 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 05:15 AM

It would only makes sense that they would visit a residence. I would suggest calling their office and simply asking.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Loving you since 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
When my son had his ankle monitor we did not need to have a landline, it was all wireless and required the ankle monitor itself to be plugged in at night to recharge, how ever the little black box was freestanding and did not require anything.
Was it a GPS monitor?
From what so understand there are 2 monitors. A GPS monitor and Curfew monitor.

Curfew monitor requires a land line. A GPS monitor is more restrictive.
Itshardtowait (09-22-2018), msladyj75 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Loving you since 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by msladyj75 View Post
My fiancť got approved for parole (FI-1) and will be on an ankle monitor once released. The IPO visited him yesterday to verify his address. Will contact me by phone to verify the address too? Will they come by to visit before he comes home since heíll be on an ankle monitor? Thanks in advance for your answers.
It's not consistent. I had 2 different experiences with 2 different parole officers. One called me and asked me a few questions and asked me to come in to sign paperwork. He never visited my house. He called me after 7pm when the office was already closed and wanted me to go in the very next day which was a Tuesday Sadly I had a very early flight the next morning and unable to go in until Friday. After our arrangement of me going I n on Friday, they decided not to accept it and failed the plan for the reason of me not being to go in when they wanted me to. Placement and Release called me to ask when I was going to be back in town and ended up sending his file back to Parole. The 2nd Parole officer that was newly assigned to my loved one just showed up at my house and had me sign the paperwork. She told me the monitoring is done by another person and he will come to my house the week before to set up the monitor. All I needed to have is a plain Jane analog landline with a wired phone. My loved one asked what type of monitor he would have at the unit and he was told a curfew monitor.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:51 PM

Thanked 11,061 Times in 5,992 Posts

In MOST instances, a PO will be out a day or so prior to the release to install the monitor in a central location within the residence. They don't want it too early (nor do you) since, once installed, it begins searching for the ankle unit. When it isn't found, the systems often beep incessantly...

Once released, they will need to come out to do the range check.

Some units are cell based and others require a landline. They are gradually moving towards all of them being cell-based but there are still some of the older units in the inventory...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (09-22-2018), msladyj75 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 06:49 PM

Default Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGIRL View Post
Was it a GPS monitor?

It was a GPS monitor, It only monitored when he was in the house, he didn’t have a curfew. It was Cell based

Last edited by Itshardtowait; 09-22-2018 at 06:53 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
SAGIRL (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 06:53 PM

CenTexLyn, His was cell based
Old 09-22-2018, 07:05 PM

It was a silent small box, and it was supplied from a company out of Colorado, it was $135 a month, apparently when he was out of range it was supposed to send a signal to The P.O., that thing went off all the time, he would call me at 2am., take a photo of the box, was the box moved? It was never moved, it never worked correctly, We would have a storm it would go off, truly it was a pain for the P.O. and myself, sometimes I’d have to take a photo and email it of my son sleeping, eating, watching tv, etc. That’s been 13 months ago, hopefully they have improved.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
It was a silent small box, and it was supplied from a company out of Colorado, it was $135 a month, apparently when he was out of range it was supposed to send a signal to The P.O., that thing went off all the time, he would call me at 2am., take a photo of the box, was the box moved? It was never moved, it never worked correctly, We would have a storm it would go off, truly it was a pain for the P.O. and myself, sometimes Iíd have to take a photo and email it of my son sleeping, eating, watching tv, etc. Thatís been 13 months ago, hopefully they have improved.
While one of the major players for monitors IS out of Colorado, persons on parole or mandatory supervision in Texas pay no fees. As such, what you had may not have been the same as what is in use in this State.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (09-24-2018), msladyj75 (09-24-2018), sidewalker (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:56 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzNJim View Post
I was visited months ago prior to my husband's release so they could approve my home environment. I believe they need to approve where he is going before he can be released. Now that I have moved, they will have to come back and inspect my home. I'm surprised you haven't been contacted to make an in-home inspection appointment.
No I havenít been contacted yet. All I know is that last week the IPO asked my fiancť whatís the address he will parole to. They may contact me soon. Iíll keep updating everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to msladyj75 For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:08 PM

Default Response

Quote:
No I haven’t been contacted yet. All I know is that last week the IPO asked my fiancť what’s the address he will parole to. They may contact me soon. I’ll keep updating everything.
Hi! I read your message and just thought that I'd add some info about my experience. My LO will be on a monitor. The day after the TDCJ website updated to show his FI-1 vote (10/3), the District Parole Officer called me to schedule a home visit. We arranged for her to visit my home on 10/9. The day after our visit, I called her to ask if my residence had been approved, and she informed me that it was. Hopefully, you've heard something more by now.

We are still waiting for the release certificate to be issued. Waiting for it is harder than every other wait we've endured thus far.
The Following User Says Thank You to slw024 For This Useful Post:
Guccigrl (10-22-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 07:43 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slw024 View Post
Hi! I read your message and just thought that I'd add some info about my experience. My LO will be on a monitor. The day after the TDCJ website updated to show his FI-1 vote (10/3), the District Parole Officer called me to schedule a home visit. We arranged for her to visit my home on 10/9. The day after our visit, I called her to ask if my residence had been approved, and she informed me that it was. Hopefully, you've heard something more by now.

We are still waiting for the release certificate to be issued. Waiting for it is harder than every other wait we've endured thus far.
Hello I still havenít heard from the district parole officer yet. Iím not sure whatís going on. I called the release status line but they keep telling me to call the following week. Heís getting so anxious to come home. Heís paroling to my place. I live in the Killeen area. He got approved August 31st and itís almost the end of October. About the monitor do you need a landline phone? I have one through spectrum. I believe there are two different monitors. Who do I contact?
Old 10-27-2018, 07:32 PM
Loving you since 1995

I didn't hear from parole until 3 weeks before his release which gave me all the info on the phone criteria for the monitor. After that parole didn't call me until after 10 minutes of picking up my loved one so they can come out and set up the monitoring machine.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Hello I still havenít heard from the district parole officer yet. Iím not sure whatís going on. I called the release status line but they keep telling me to call the following week. Heís getting so anxious to come home. Heís paroling to my place. I live in the Killeen area. He got approved August 31st and itís almost the end of October. About the monitor do you need a landline phone? I have one through spectrum. I believe there are two different monitors. Who do I contact?
I just sent you a PM before I read this. My LO's vote was on 9/3. On 9/4, the DPO called me to schedule a home visit. When she came over, she told me that I'd need to get a landline, which I've done. She specified that the phone must be analog, not digital. She said that there could be no additional features, like call waiting, call forwarding, caller ID, etc. Hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to slw024 For This Useful Post:
msladyj75 (11-01-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGIRL View Post
Was it a GPS monitor?

My husband is on bond release and has an RF (radio frequency) monitor. I'm not certain we had to have a landline to be fair but it simply tells the PO he's out of range, not where he is and it's much cheaper than GPS.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
My husband is on bond release and has an RF (radio frequency) monitor. I'm not certain we had to have a landline to be fair but it simply tells the PO he's out of range, not where he is and it's much cheaper than GPS.
The systems used by each of the 254 Counties around Texas are NOT the same as those used by the TDCJ-Parole Division.

Cost is a moot point since the releasee will not have to bear any of the expense.

As others have already noted, expect a landline requirement but be aware that SOME of the offices are set up to use a cell-based system that pings the nearest tower.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Donation Award 

My fiancť is finally coming home tomorrow from Huntsville. The release date showed up a week ago. I still haven’t heard from parole or anyone about his ankle monitor. I don’t have a analog landline just a digital one. My area don’t have analog landlines anymore. Do I have to pick him up or can he ride the bus home? I work nights and couldn’t take off work. His family lives in Austin and don’t have transportation. I live in the Killeen area and he will parole to my home.
The Following User Says Thank You to msladyj75 For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (12-05-2018)