Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Indiana that do not fit into any other Indiana sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:50 AM

Default Anyone know what happened to Pat Ellerman?

He was on Lockup ISP, and noticed he is listed as deceased on the DOC inmate page. I searched long and hard for an obituary, even looked on the SSDI!

I have been studying prisons systems, after of course, watching Lockup. I have learned so much by reading histories and learning about the system, I hope to write something to send to my elected officials. The numbers are staggering, and I feel for those of you that have loved ones in the system.
Pat, for example. not one mention of his death? So very very sad how we treat each other in this world.
He was at Indiana State Prison but may have been moved. He was the man that got so badly cut in a fight.
any way if anyone has a loved one at ISP you might ask for me. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2015, 03:02 AM

I will ask, but my loved one is on DR at ISP so I'm not sure he will know
Old 05-16-2015, 05:43 AM

Thanked 9,451 Times in 5,374 Posts

Not everyone who dies has an obituary or even a one-line entry in the death notices. It is also possible that the incarceration did not occur under the true name...many would be surprised just how many people are convicted under something that is NOT the name as it appeared on their birth certificate.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
xolady (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 4,701 Times in 2,472 Posts

Little known info about obituaries in the last couple of years. Used to be free in the local paper. Now, only the name, city and date of death are free. The rest is $$ per size and/or per word. If you want it in an additional city paper, it costs there as well. And by cost I mean, in 2011 for a typical obit for my stepdad in our major city newspaper, the cost was $400, then another $350 to place it in his small hometown newspaper. Ridiculous.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:40 AM

I do genealogy on the side, and Indiana is my area. Where he is from would not be expensive to run a short obit, probably free. I just was amazed this 48 yr old man was just on lockup in 2010, so say they shot from 2008-9.
He has a son I remember him saying. Seems it would be right to do it for him.
I was surprised last night after I wrote on here how little they do have to report on a prisoner. It is terrible.

You know, the name-- is listed as Patrick J. Ellerman in his court papers. I tried everything, Pat, P, no first name, no luck. No it is bothering me. Everyone deserves a modicum of respect. If he had done something like, murdered a policeman, his name would be everywhere.

Thanks to those that have answered, I appreciate it, and if anyone else k nows, please help me in the search!
God bless all of you that have to live with the fear of the unknown with loved ones in prison, you are braver than I!
Old 05-16-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish22 View Post
I do genealogy on the side, and Indiana is my area. Where he is from would not be expensive to run a short obit, probably free.
Except that obits are not always run in the locale where the death occurred...they are typically placed by family, if they are placed at all. So the absence in a paper local to the facility is not really a shock...

Quote:
He has a son I remember him saying. Seems it would be right to do it for him.
I was surprised last night after I wrote on here how little they do have to report on a prisoner. It is terrible.
Not all families WANT an obituary. We did a very minimal one for my father and purposely did not identify the surviving family members by name. We also did not want a public service.

Quote:
You know, the name-- is listed as Patrick J. Ellerman in his court papers. I tried everything, Pat, P, no first name, no luck. No it is bothering me. Everyone deserves a modicum of respect. If he had done something like, murdered a policeman, his name would be everywhere.
The listing in court records does NOT mean that was his LEGAL name. That was the point of my earlier comments...I have, on more than one occasion, run criminal history reports that had several names of record in various convictions. I have also had to issue warrants in more than one name and ensure that revocation decisions included files under more than two names...
Old 05-16-2015, 01:04 PM

Default You are right

You know, I have searched and searched, nada. Since he did say his dad left him at 5, you may be very right that he has a different last name, and folks accepted, say, a step dads name.
I just feel that the prison system should at least announce a death in their updates. A basic human right.
Who even protects an inmate if they have no family? A prisoner could easily get hurt, it covered up, and get away with it.
One day I hope there is a huge prison reform. God protect the ones that have no one on the outside watching over them.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:09 PM

I wanted to add that because of my studying this area of life that I had no knowledge of, it almost has become a passion to study more and try to, in whatever way possible, be a small voice to stand up for the horrible way the govt. is playing and using people as pawns for jobs- from you local prosecutor to big contract building. Prayers to all of you that have a loved one out there.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I just feel that the prison system should at least announce a death in their updates. A basic human right.
Who even protects an inmate if they have no family? A prisoner could easily get hurt, it covered up, and get away with it.
One day I hope there is a huge prison reform. God protect the ones that have no one on the outside watching over them.
+1

You are a nice person Cherish22
Old 05-16-2015, 04:41 PM

Thanked 1,052 Times in 507 Posts

I believe a family member has to put in the information for an obituary. I have known of a couple of deaths recently where there wasn't one place in a paper. I'm guessing if you have been unable to find anything he died of natural causes. If he was killed by another in mate it would have been in the news and you should have found something on that. Inmates die in prison from heart attacks, cancer, etc just as they would on the outside.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrldy View Post
If he was killed by another in mate it would have been in the news and you should have found something on that.
Even this is not always an accurate statement, even in situations where the facility is in a remote area. Trust me...through my years, I have seen enough custodial deaths in remote areas to base this statement upon...and not all of those were natural consequences. Even the plea dispositions are not always publicized in those case...
Old 05-16-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
He was on Lockup ISP, and noticed he is listed as deceased on the DOC inmate page. I searched long and hard for an obituary, even looked on the SSDI!

I have been studying prisons systems, after of course, watching Lockup. I have learned so much by reading histories and learning about the system, I hope to write something to send to my elected officials. The numbers are staggering, and I feel for those of you that have loved ones in the system.
Pat, for example. not one mention of his death? So very very sad how we treat each other in this world.
He was at Indiana State Prison but may have been moved. He was the man that got so badly cut in a fight.
If you put "Pat Ellerman" lockup in google it pulls up an individuals Facebook page that states that Pat passed away from liver cancer. RIP.

Last edited by uRmylife; 05-16-2015 at 08:30 PM..
Old 07-06-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
+1

You are a nice person Cherish22

Thank you, as I am sure all of you are caring folks. I just came back to say....it seems impossible, but wouldn't be nice to have some sort of way to make small obituaries for all, online if nothing else? everyone deserves dignity. I know, impossible job, but is a nice dream.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cherish22 For This Useful Post:
Zed (07-06-2015)
Old 04-01-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Update on pat ellerman

Quote:

Hey! So I just watched the new season of lock up that they released on Netflix today and, like you, I was curious about pat ellerman. I googled his name and found this forum before the end of the episode, and when the episode ended there was an update saying that pat ellerman passed away at the correctional facility in may if 2013. It also said that he got a letter from his son a week after they finished filming. This makes my heart so sad, especially with there being no memorial of his life at all