Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:29 PM

can anyone give me any information about the elkton prison? im taking my boyfriend there tomorrow and he will be there for 3 months. i really dont know anything about this place. please help!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 03:46 PM

Default mandi9228

hey im going in jan 12 for 10 months. i dont know much either though. maybe ill get to know your boyfriend in there. you can email me at toblue4u05@aol.com for any questions
Old 12-30-2009, 04:00 PM

What do you want to know? My husband was there, in the FSL -- got out last spring. When he went in, he had been told to self surrender to the FCI. There they put him alone in a cell for a few hours, then shackled him to take him the short distance down the hill, in a van, to the FSL -- I presume to show him who was boss?

We got through it, we survived <gr.>. You will, too.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:05 PM

i think im goin to the fci there. but not to sure. they just sent the paper in the mail saying to be in elkton for self surrender on jan12 before noon. im just wondering if im going to be the only kid in there, seeing as how i dont know anyone my age thats ever been to federal prison. And what the conditions like in elkton?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 PM

My husband says you'll find plenty of young guys, particularly around the basketball court and in exercise classes. Conditions? There's not much to do there, and you'll be better off if you can find your own ways to keep busy. If you want to take some college classes, and have some money, correspondence classes are available at Ohio University that are designed to be mailed into prisons.http://www.ohio.edu/independent/INCARC.HTM
Old 12-30-2009, 06:09 PM

thanks for the info. maybe ill post some stuff when im released to look out for other newcomers. hopefully the time goes by quick
Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 PM

4 days till self surrender... it sucks
Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Thanked 4,121 Times in 1,528 Posts

mike my brother is at halfway house i will call him and ask him a few question, He was in Elkton 39 mo. You will be ok. Get back to you in a while.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Mike, you will be fine. I talk to my brother and he said just mind your own bussiness and you will be ok. The food is terrible, there are lots of young men there, but there are people who are waiting for the new ones to come in to try to con them. Don't lend, borrow, gossip, Don't let anyone say they want to help you as the Major said too. Its a way to get you to beholding to them. Don't owe anyone.Do without if you don't have money own books. Keep busy and get in a bible study group.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Default boflipflops36

Hey thanks alot. I go in tomorrow morning. My girlfriend might be on this site after i go in to get some help with some of the basics like mail or sending money. So if you could assist her, that would be appreciated. Thank you.

-mike
Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Well, I just took my boyfriend to Elkton this morning. It was a long drive. I hope his time goes by fast. Does anyone know if he can make calls to cell phones? We did not have a house phone but if he can't make a call to a cell phone I think I might go ahead and get one.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM

mike she can pm me any time. You should send some money now western union so its own your books when you get there. My brother took cash they let him keep it. you just mind your bussiness and don't get caught in the borrowing or lending, gossip, pm me
Old 01-12-2010, 04:12 PM

yes he can make phone calls to your cell phone he has to turn your name address number in. It will take a few days, for it to be approved any phone. go ahead and write him, he will get your letters,

Last edited by boflipflops36; 01-12-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boflipflops36 View Post
yes he can make phone calls to your cell phone he has to turn your name address number in. It will take a few days, for it to be approved any phone. go ahead and write him, he will get your letters,
Ok thanks I was worried about that. Cause I know how some of his family is and I want to make sure he can get a hold of me if he needs anything. I talked to my sister about the phone thing and she said to call global tel link. But when I called they said they did not do it for federal prison. He took some money in there with him. I hope it was enough to last him until he can get everything set up to let me know what he needs. It's so weird being home knowing he's not going to be here. Thanks for all your help
Old 01-14-2010, 07:11 PM

He can put some money own his phone account. At Elkton he can put what ever amount at a time he wants to own his phone account. My brother would put a dollar and call me for 3 min. It is good to have what ever you can afford, and stretch those 300 min, they have to last all month. It takes time for your phone to be approved he will call you soon.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 AM
chulita97

i was wondering if at fci elkton a child has to be approved on an inmates visiting list or just their parent?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM

Default elkton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHULITA97 View Post
i was wondering if at fci elkton a child has to be approved on an inmates visiting list or just their parent?
a child under the age of 16 does not need identification. And I believe they do not need to be approved on visiting list.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:55 PM

Hi, a child under 16 does not need indentification but needs an adult with them and i believe that a child does not need to be on visiting list, Call the jail to be sure though
Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Hello everyone...My b/f is being transfered to Elkton, it has been a heartbreaking experience, he just had visit taken for a year and commissary and then moved to Ohio (me and his family are in FL) My question is does Elkton have Email? It sure would help the time pass quicker till we can make the long haul up there to see him.
And I was reading somewhere that the Unicor recycling that they do there was not safe, does anyone know anything about that? I tend to over worry.
Thank you so much!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:43 PM

Laycee80,

My husband was just moved last week to Elkton and no e-mail yet. Rumor has it in August it will be up and running. I really miss those 2-3 chats per day he had it MDC Los Angeles but at least he's closer to home. It was great for my children to keep in touch with their dad too. Back to letter writing for now.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:20 PM
Baranda

My fiancee is going to FCI Elkton. He has severe congestive heart failure. His doctors estimate his life expectancy to be 3-5 years. Can anyone tell me what their medical care is like? Or the level of care given to inmates?
Old 04-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,977 Times in 10,252 Posts

Here's an audit report prepared about the federal bureau of prison's medical care for inmates by the US Department of Justice's Inspector General in 2008. It's findings, summarized starting on Page 57 show that prisoners are poorly served by bop medical care.
https://oig.justice.gov/reports/BOP/a0808/final.pdf

Every bop prison, both the ones owned by the US Government and the rented "private prison" ones are assigned a level of available care. (I just came across one prison that is owned by the bop, but the operation of the prison is contracted out to one of the private, for profit prison corporations, where the bottom line profitability of withholding necessary medical care is most apparent).

Here is the bop program statement for prison designation where they say they try to match the inmate's health care requirements with the care level at that prison,
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/custody_...signations.jsp

Inmates are designated/re-designated to institutions based on:

付he level of security and staff supervision the inmate requires,
付he level of security and staff supervision the institution provides,
付he medical classification care level of the inmate and the care level of the institution,
付he inmate's program needs (e.g., substance abuse treatment, educational/vocational training, individual and/or group counseling, medical/mental health treatment), and
夫arious administrative factors (e.g., institution bed space capacity; the inmate's release residence; judicial recommendations; separation needs; and security measures needed to ensure protection of victims, witnesses, and the general public).