Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Juvenile
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Juvenile Discussion of everything related to minors in the criminal justice system: juvenile detention, courts, rights, and family support.

View Poll Results: which uniform is the best for juvenile inmates?
inmate uniforms (jumpsuits, v-necks, scrubs) 28 43.08%
more casual uniforms (t-shirts, sweats) 32 49.23%
no uniforms at all (street/personal clothes) 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 PM

Default Jail uniforms for kids in juvenile hall. good or bad?

When I was younger, I went to four different juvies in Washington and California for some very minor charges like my runaway records, underage drinking, and skipping school.

At some juvies, you get to wear more casual clothes like shirts and sweats but at other juvies, you have to wear jail uniforms. They both have pros and cons.

In California, I usually wore t-shirts and sweats when I was in juvy. The good thing is that it doesn't really humiliate you and it feels like it is more humane. It was more relaxing and comfortable when you wear them in juvy. The bad thing is that kids don't take it very seriously when they are booked in if they just wear sweat shirts and t-shirts. I didn't really take it seriously in Alameda county and I was still kinda rude even after I was booked.

In Washington, they gave me jumpsuits and v-neck style uniforms. In Tacoma, I was issued orange jumpsuits at Remann Hall. In Snohomish County, they gave me two piece orange v-neck suits. It was very embarrassing when I first put on these uniforms. but as soon as I wore them, it changed my attitude completely. When I first entered the juvenile detention center, I was kinda upset and unruly but as soon as I put on the orange jumpsuit, it really made me feel like omg I'm a juvenile inmate now and I just had to obey all the rules and respect the juvy officers. Wearing these uniforms kinda disciplined me a lot. As soon as I put on all the oranges, I just knew that I was a juvenile inmate and it just made me follow all the rules and what they told me to do. But when I was going to courts, it was really embarrassing to appear in the courtroom in my orange jumpsuits and full shackles. I was very embarrassed when my mom and sister saw me in the orange jumpsuit, orange shoes, orange socks and chains.

So which one do you think is better for kids in juvies? Inmate uniforms or casual clothes (t-shirts/sweats)?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM
weary
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,019 Posts

I voted for the top one - full on uniform. I guess i'm just used to it being a form of discipline over here. I wore uniform at every school and my son will too. His senior school (starting september) is incredibly strict and I think it's a good thing. Uniform encourages conformity and observation of rules. It also is enforced a lot over here to stop bullying because of who's wearing the latest trainers or whatever.

Of course the other plus to uniform is not bothering thinking about what to wear each day - speeds everything up.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Donation Award 

I too voted for uniforms, that way there is no conflict about what who's wearing and all.
Summerlove92 (03-31-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 01:43 PM

I see no issue with uniforms. Something like khakis and a collared shirt.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:09 AM

When I was in a juvi facility (UK) there were state-issued clothing, but we could have our own threads sent in. I tend to agree that a casual uniform is a good thing. There's bullying wherever you go, and clothing/style is often a reason. Why encourage that?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:43 PM

I voted inmate uniforms i think if a 16 yr old is looking at himself wearing a prison jumpsuit it will be motivation for change help them get it through their head "i don't wanna b here again this is not me ..i will be better" so many young boys r getting locked up for stupid stuff they need to open their eyes before its too late.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mab14 For This Useful Post:
mmalone517 (03-30-2014), Summerlove92 (03-31-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 12:55 PM

Your there cuz you cant seem to control yourself in the free world and or you committed crimes so truthfully your clothing/uniform should be the least of your worries. In my opinion your no better than anyone in the county or the prisons so you should be dressed in jail attire.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:38 AM

Thanked 1,289 Times in 490 Posts

Uniforms.
msmack777 (03-31-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 09:34 AM

Unhappy Jumpsuits

Two of my daughters are due to go to a Juvenile Prison in a week after an armed robbery, and I want them never to do it again, so I want them to feeled humiliated and disciplined and also not picked on for their clothing.

I'm really scared for them, one of them is real and the other is real timerous...
Old 05-18-2014, 10:17 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 24,442 Times in 12,659 Posts

I am not sure but whichever they put them in juvy for, I would hope they would realize they need to change their behavior. asap.

I would say that it would probably be a good idea to have uniforms, shower shoes, or the slip on type shoe (keds?)
for girls, no makeup either.

Worried Dad, I hope your girls do ok and shape up. Im sorry that you are having to deal with TWO unruly children. Armed robbery is pretty serious.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I am not sure but whichever they put them in juvy for, I would hope they would realize they need to change their behavior. asap.

I would say that it would probably be a good idea to have uniforms, shower shoes, or the slip on type shoe (keds?)
for girls, no makeup either.

Worried Dad, I hope your girls do ok and shape up. Im sorry that you are having to deal with TWO unruly children. Armed robbery is pretty serious.
Only Amy is unruly... Abby is really nice and quiet and well behaved, but she just got tangeled up with her sister.
The Following User Says Thank You to WorriedDad1999 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (05-19-2014)
Old 01-18-2015, 09:19 PM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siesie617 View Post
I see no issue with uniforms. Something like khakis and a collared shirt.
If this would have been a choice, it would have been my preference of choice.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,011 Times in 7,140 Posts

Uniforms make sense on a lot of levels-
... they prevent visual differences between kids that come from different backgrounds, leveling the playing field, if you will.

...they eliminate any motive to steal, sell or trade clothing- if nobody has anything different, there's nothing to covet. No one should ever get beat up for their shoes.

....the majority of those in a juvenile facility are there because (in some way) they did not handle individuality and self expression very responsibly and, at that age, losing the ability to decide what to wear can be more of a reality check than the confinement itself.

....in facilities where visiting happens in a common area, uniforms allow staff to easily identify who is a visitor and who is a resident.

All in all, there's a lot to be said for uniforms.

I do favor the idea that uniforms should NOT be inherently humiliating- Some kids will look at themselves in an orange jumpsuit and say "Wow, this is not who I want to be!", others will look at themselves and just see a criminal... Khakis, a white t-shirt and a button down or a polo type shirt, being both tidy and "neutral" offer both conformity and dignity....many of these kids have never been given a sense of personal dignity and that idea should go hand in hand with a sense of accountability.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM

I'm currently serving a combination of overnight stays (during the week) and weekend detention. As someone currently in the system, I think uniforms are a good idea. I just wish we were issued something like t-shirts/sweats or polo shirts/khakis, instead of orange jumpsuits.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfreak View Post
When I was younger, I went to four different juvies in Washington and California for some very minor charges like my runaway records, underage drinking, and skipping school.

At some juvies, you get to wear more casual clothes like shirts and sweats but at other juvies, you have to wear jail uniforms. They both have pros and cons.

In California, I usually wore t-shirts and sweats when I was in juvy. The good thing is that it doesn't really humiliate you and it feels like it is more humane. It was more relaxing and comfortable when you wear them in juvy. The bad thing is that kids don't take it very seriously when they are booked in if they just wear sweat shirts and t-shirts. I didn't really take it seriously in Alameda county and I was still kinda rude even after I was booked.

In Washington, they gave me jumpsuits and v-neck style uniforms. In Tacoma, I was issued orange jumpsuits at Remann Hall. In Snohomish County, they gave me two piece orange v-neck suits. It was very embarrassing when I first put on these uniforms. but as soon as I wore them, it changed my attitude completely. When I first entered the juvenile detention center, I was kinda upset and unruly but as soon as I put on the orange jumpsuit, it really made me feel like omg I'm a juvenile inmate now and I just had to obey all the rules and respect the juvy officers. Wearing these uniforms kinda disciplined me a lot. As soon as I put on all the oranges, I just knew that I was a juvenile inmate and it just made me follow all the rules and what they told me to do. But when I was going to courts, it was really embarrassing to appear in the courtroom in my orange jumpsuits and full shackles. I was very embarrassed when my mom and sister saw me in the orange jumpsuit, orange shoes, orange socks and chains.

So which one do you think is better for kids in juvies? Inmate uniforms or casual clothes (t-shirts/sweats)?
When I was in we had blue scrubs and pink boxers. White socks and plain grey Velcro sneakers.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:37 PM

My son is currently in a juvenile detention center. He wears the pants of a jail uniform, a t-shirt, socks, and the flip-flops. He is not happy about it, nor am I happy about him being in there to begin with.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:06 PM
Owned

Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,346 Posts

I hope he's unhappy to the point of figuring out there's nothing worth going back for!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:24 AM

Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,642 Posts

I say the most humiliating uniform.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Life Lovin Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,370 Posts

I think uniforms are fine, however I do not agree with the fact that they match the county jail uniforms in every way except for color. Everything about the time my son spent in the hall was a training ground for spending time across the street in the county jail. Thankfully he has made better choices since getting off of juvenile probation.

Moderator: New Jersey, Juvenile, Prison Activism, Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Arkansas, Maryland, Husbands & Boyfriends In Prison
Old 04-13-2017, 10:52 AM

I voted for full uniforms..Most kids in school have to wear uniforms and would rather not wear them.Prison or juveniledetention shouldn't be a fashion patade.Like a lot people said, uniforms mean equality and being isued with a uniform can help people see the seriousness of the situation (and this is from somebody who served a short prison sntence and had to wear a uniform and whose g/f is wearing a uniform right now