Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in South Carolina that do not fit into any other South Carolina subforum. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind in addition to prison.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:05 PM

Default Just sentenced, how quickly he is likely to be moved to Kirkland in SC?

My best friend's son was just sentenced in Spartanburg on Monday. Does anyone know how quickly he is likely to be moved to Kirkland. He's not showing up on the inmate locator yet, so we don't know if he's there yet or not. Should he show up on the locator if he's there? We're just trying to figure out how soon she might hear from him.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2016, 09:46 AM

Default VINE says he's in Perry, not Kirkland, I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie60 View Post
My best friend's son was just sentenced in Spartanburg on Monday. Does anyone know how quickly he is likely to be moved to Kirkland. He's not showing up on the inmate locator yet, so we don't know if he's there yet or not. Should he show up on the locator if he's there? We're just trying to figure out how soon she might hear from him.
He's still not showing up on the SCDC site, but VINE says he's at Perry. Could he have been sent directly there? What would be the reason for that? I thought everyone went through Kirkland, but that it took a long time. I don't know if this is good or bad. He's like a son to me. He and my son were inseparable as kids. I've been friends with his mom since third grade. She is on the road on her way up here to NY, thinking she wouldn't be able to see him for a month and needing to be with her family. I know she won't be able to see him till the visitation forms are done anyway. Also, if he's at Perry, does this mean he can use money in his account? Will he be able to write soon? Just very confused and scared for him.

Last edited by ellie60; 05-16-2016 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Thought of something else to ask.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:50 PM

Default Now VINE says he's in Kirkland.

Quote:
He's still not showing up on the SCDC site, but VINE says he's at Perry. Could he have been sent directly there? What would be the reason for that? I thought everyone went through Kirkland, but that it took a long time. I don't know if this is good or bad. He's like a son to me. He and my son were inseparable as kids. I've been friends with his mom since third grade. She is on the road on her way up here to NY, thinking she wouldn't be able to see him for a month and needing to be with her family. I know she won't be able to see him till the visitation forms are done anyway. Also, if he's at Perry, does this mean he can use money in his account? Will he be able to write soon? Just very confused and scared for him.
I'm not getting any responses, but I'll keep writing. Now VINE says he is at Kirkland, which is what we expected. Not sure why it said Perry earlier. I guess now we just wait.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:42 AM

My husband was sentenced on May 12 and he was transferred to Kirkland on May 17th. I haven't heard from him since he was moved. Has your friend heard from her son yet? I'm wondering how long it's taking to give out their pin to use the phone, and when I can anticipate maybe hearing from him.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGivingUp17 View Post
My husband was sentenced on May 12 and he was transferred to Kirkland on May 17th. I haven't heard from him since he was moved. Has your friend heard from her son yet? I'm wondering how long it's taking to give out their pin to use the phone, and when I can anticipate maybe hearing from him.
Yes, she has. He was sentenced on the 9th. I'm not sure when he was transferred to Kirkland, but he showed up in the SCDC on the 17th, so a week and a day later. She got a letter from him on the 21st and he sent the form to be filled out for visitation. Evidently they only get one, so make sure to make copies of it so the others he wants to can fill it out.

He just called on Tuesday, the 24th. He can call on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He says he's doing okay. Seems to be handling it well, but was so happy to hear his momma's voice. She had her cell phone set up through GTL, but he didn't know that, so he called her home phone collect. She just said, Call my cell, before she said she wouldn't accept the charges and he called back on her cell right away. He says he was told he will be there about 45 days.

We are so happy he seems to be coping well. We were worried about his state of mind, but inside he's strong. He has enough people writing him that he should get mail just about every day. Now we just have to wait it out and see where he's sent.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:05 AM

My husband showed up in the system on May 18th which is the day he was transferred there. I imagine that your friends son got there in the 17th if that's when he showed up. I'm glad she's heard from him. I still haven't received a letter or a phone call. I've got my cell phone set up so that he can call, but haven't seen that he's even tried to call. I've sent him several cards and letters, so hopefully it won't be too long before he gets those. I just can't wait to hear his voice and get the reassurance that he's ok! I know he's fine, but going from talking to him every day while he was in jail, to not hearing from him in 10 days is awful! I'm just ready to get this over with! Thanks for your reply!
Old 05-27-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGivingUp17 View Post
My husband showed up in the system on May 18th which is the day he was transferred there. I imagine that your friends son got there in the 17th if that's when he showed up. I'm glad she's heard from him. I still haven't received a letter or a phone call. I've got my cell phone set up so that he can call, but haven't seen that he's even tried to call. I've sent him several cards and letters, so hopefully it won't be too long before he gets those. I just can't wait to hear his voice and get the reassurance that he's ok! I know he's fine, but going from talking to him every day while he was in jail, to not hearing from him in 10 days is awful! I'm just ready to get this over with! Thanks for your reply!
I'm not sure. I don't know if he told his mom what day he got there when they spoke on the phone. Given the timeline, I would think you would get a letter soon and probably a call next Tuesday. They can only call on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you have his number, you can call and get his address and write to him even if you haven't heard from him yet. I guess Kirkland is the hardest usually. He did say he's doing okay. He said he has read two books already, so there must be a library available to them. He says he's just keeping his head down and his mouth shut.

This is all so hard. I never thought I would have to know these things. This kid is like a son to me. Not a kid actually, he's 32, but my son and he were best friends from 2 to 16. He was at my house all the time. He's just sweet and big hearted and I can't believe this happened to him. As upset as I am, I can't even imagine how his mom is coping. We'll be glad when we find out where he's going to be sent and to know how he does once he gets there. And then we'll be able to do more for him.

I hope you hear from your husband soon and that he's okay.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:17 PM

I got a letter today! He seems to be doing good. He said the food is awful, but that he's ok with that because he needs to lose weight after being in the county jail where he had access to canteen junk food! He's gained over 20 lbs! He said he would call as soon as they gave him a pin to use. I'm praying he's got it now and will call on Tuesday. He said he's got a cool cell mate, so he's glad about that. He did send the visitation request form and said for me to make copies. He's lonely, but that's to be expected. He's ready for his assignment and to get to a yard. It's wonderful to finally know he's ok! We will have to keep in touch with each other and see where our guys end up. I'm like you in that I never expected to have to learn the ropes of the prison system, but things happen and people make mistakes. So here we are. I'm glad I found this site and the support here. It's awesome to have a place to ask questions and get answers from people who are going through (or have been through) similar situations.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:20 PM

Hi everyone im new to this. My boyfriend just got his sentencing yesterday in court in Columbia and I have been wondering how long will it take for me to find out his location and get visitation papers, phone call and etc? Any idea how long this whole process should take?
Old 10-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,613 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyny321 View Post
Hi everyone im new to this. My boyfriend just got his sentencing yesterday in court in Columbia and I have been wondering how long will it take for me to find out his location and get visitation papers, phone call and etc? Any idea how long this whole process should take?
Welcome to the SC forum of PTO!

Keep checking the SCDC website for updates. They're usually transferred to Kirkland and processing begins the next day (level, medical and psychological status, etc.). It should take about 2-3 weeks for this to be updated online (facility he's transferred to and sentencing information). He could be at Kirkland R&E for at least 30 days but with everything going on right now within the prison system, it could be longer. He has to send you the visitation form and will probably be able to call you once he's situated at R&E, but calls are limited to certain days there.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Default Has anyone been classified?

I saw a couple of people say that their loved ones were sentenced back in October. My fiance was sentenced on October 28th. As of today, he is still in R&E at Kirkland and has yet to be classified, which sucks because they won't allow me to visit him until he is classified and transferred to where ever. I was wondering if your guys have been classified yet?
Old 01-03-2017, 08:37 PM

My boyfriend was recently moved to Lee Correctional Institution almost 3 weeks. They have to go through a long process with bloodwork and etc, I don't know whats the hold up. I just know they shouldnt be there for more than a month unless thats where they will be serving their sentence.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Carolina traveler

Everyone must keep in mind that there is not space for everyone at the institutions they may be classified for so being at R&E may be a technical issue. Patience throughout this experience is an absolute must and it's not like outside the fences where you have answers in the moment. This is only the beginning of this journey. Your support and concern go a long way. Best wishes.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
My boyfriend was recently moved to Lee Correctional Institution almost 3 weeks. They have to go through a long process with bloodwork and etc, I don't know whats the hold up. I just know they shouldnt be there for more than a month unless thats where they will be serving their sentence.

Thank you so much
Old 01-23-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangingSC View Post
I saw a couple of people say that their loved ones were sentenced back in October. My fiance was sentenced on October 28th. As of today, he is still in R&E at Kirkland and has yet to be classified, which sucks because they won't allow me to visit him until he is classified and transferred to where ever. I was wondering if your guys have been classified yet?
Today is my man's 84th day at Kirkland. He was classified last Friday (1/13) and technically, with the weekends and MLK Day, today's the 5th business day after having been classified, which he said is how it's been happening for his R&E cellmates. Been going crazy checking the site every 15-20 minutes on my phone for the past week. He's lost 25 pounds and the Health Board was there a couple of weeks ago. They were reported for underfeeding them and moldy food. Now they're giving them a little more, but still not enough for grown men and coffee in the morning. It's been a nightmare. None of us have heard his voice for 2 weeks cuz they lock them down every 5 minutes and they only get 2 envelopes per month and what I can only picture as a keno pencil.

I hope your loved one gets classified and moved a lot quicker than mine's been waiting.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:56 PM

[quote=ChangingSC;7593800]Thank you so much[/QUOT

According to Kirkland when I called them, their minimum stay is 45 days. Being there for more than 30 days absolutely does not mean they'll be doing their time there. Some are there for 90 days or longer if they need to find them a bed.
The Following User Says Thank You to lexi498 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (01-25-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I called Kirkland and they said the minimum stay at R&E is 45 days. They can be there 90 days or longer if they're waiting for a bed at a facility meeting their classification.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
My fiancee was sent from Spartanburg February 23 he said they went to Perry and ate lunch and then went to Kirkland. Spartanburg doesn't transfer
Old 04-18-2017, 07:15 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmith2831 View Post
My fiancee was sent from Spartanburg February 23 he said they went to Perry and ate lunch and then went to Kirkland. Spartanburg doesn't transfer

He was sent from Spartanburg Detention Center to Perry because it was the closest, until he could be sent to Kirkland R&E for classification.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not getting any responses, but I'll keep writing. Now VINE says he is at Kirkland, which is what we expected. Not sure why it said Perry earlier. I guess now we just wait.
Perry transports them to Kirkland my fiancee was sentenced February 22 on the 23 he went to Perry ate lunch and then went to Kirkland