Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Oregon Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:53 AM

Smile Visiting from England, what do I need to know?

Hi,
I'm all new to this so I'm asking for some help please!
I live in England and I'm looking to visit an inmate at two rivers correctional facility in oregon and I have no idea where to start!
Has anyone on here visited from england?
I'd appreciate any info
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2017, 06:08 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,040 Times in 2,141 Posts

We have a few people who visit from Europe, Mrs_Tudor is one of them (she's in Germany). Hopefully they'll chime in too.

For one thing, if you've never been to Oregon before, be prepared for a LOT of commuting time. If I were you and money wasn't an issue, I'd buy a ticket not to Portland, but to the Tri-Cities airport in Richland, Washington. It's on the other side of the Columbia River from Umatilla and a lot shorter drive from the airport to the prison. There is no good public transportation from Portland to Umatilla, though you can look up buses that go there. It's a 4 - 5 hour long drive - not including getting to the bus station from the airport or any of the other hassles.

A lot of people stay in either Richland/Tri-Cities area of Washington or in Hermiston Oregon when they visit.

Do you know about the dress code and what's allowed inside? If not, you might want to start with reading this thread: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=624041 Scroll down to "How do I visit someone" and "What to do and what not to do".

Once you've read all that (and there's a lot!), feel free to ask questions. That should get you started though.

Gin
Old 04-03-2017, 06:46 AM

Thank you so much!
Well ive never been to America before and I don't drive. So I'm completely new at all this.
The person I want to see is in two rivers correctional facility.
I'm a little scared to go over if I'm honest, just travelling on my own
Old 04-03-2017, 08:40 AM

Thanked 1,565 Times in 769 Posts

I visited Two Rivers last May....I would suggest staying in Umatilla, it is just about 10 minutes from the prison.

You have to park out in the visitor parking lot, they allow people to enter into the reception area a half hour before visit. You take a card with a number on it and when they call the number, you give them your ID and get your purse, keys and such put in the locker. Once you get brought down to the visiting room your inmate should already be waiting. You have hard plastic chairs with a little table between you and the inmate. I brief hug and kiss are allowed, you can also hold hands, but no footsy playing is allowed. No sharing food or drinks, you are the only one allowed to use the vending machines.

No underwire bras (I saw someone get refused, had to go to Walmart to get a jog bra), most silver jewelry is not an issue. Do NOT wear anything tight or revealing such as, leggings, low-cut blouses, see through. The guards are fairly nice, as long as you treat them with respect.

I hope you enjoy your visit!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,791 Posts

Hi I have visited from the Uk (not Oregon) and its nothing really to worry about.Its a little easier for me because I drive.You will need to plan your route bus /train from the airport to the location of the prison and stay as close as you can and then Uber or taxi to the prison for visiting.

Dont arrive too early in the taxi normally you cannot hang around on the grounds waiting.

Make sure you follow the dress code exactly as you wont have the option of other outfits in the car. The last thing you want is to be turned away.

Bok your return taxi journey if you arent allowed your cell phone in the locker.

Most of all enjoy first visits are great.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 04-03-2017, 12:47 PM

That's great thanks.
I'm just worried that I won't be able to get there with not driving.
On the map it's really far from the airport.
But I really want to see him
Old 04-03-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe67 View Post
I visited Two Rivers last May....I would suggest staying in Umatilla, it is just about 10 minutes from the prison.

You have to park out in the visitor parking lot, they allow people to enter into the reception area a half hour before visit. You take a card with a number on it and when they call the number, you give them your ID and get your purse, keys and such put in the locker. Once you get brought down to the visiting room your inmate should already be waiting. You have hard plastic chairs with a little table between you and the inmate. I brief hug and kiss are allowed, you can also hold hands, but no footsy playing is allowed. No sharing food or drinks, you are the only one allowed to use the vending machines.

No underwire bras (I saw someone get refused, had to go to Walmart to get a jog bra), most silver jewelry is not an issue. Do NOT wear anything tight or revealing such as, leggings, low-cut blouses, see through. The guards are fairly nice, as long as you treat them with respect.

I hope you enjoy your visit!
Is there an airport in umatilla or near it do you know? The other one I saw was 2 hours away and I don't drive!
Old 04-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirstylou_xx View Post
That's great thanks.
I'm just worried that I won't be able to get there with not driving.
On the map it's really far from the airport.
But I really want to see him
You will need to look at trains or buses to the nearest town. I would advice you stay close to the airport the first night you arrive as you will be tired with the travelling and time difference. Travel close to the prison the next day then uber or taxi to your visit or see if you can post for a carpool from your hotel to the prison.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 04-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,040 Times in 2,141 Posts

Richland Washington is the nearest "real" airport to Umatilla. I know you don't drive, but to give an idea of distance (which we Americans measure in time), it's about 45 minutes by car doing around 65 miles per hour.

Google maps can give you options for getting from Richland to Umatilla. Maytayah is right in that you'll want to stay close to the airport the first night, then close to the prison.

If you fly into Richland (aka Tri-Cities), you could check flight costs for flying into either SeaTac (Seattle-Tacoma International) or PDX (Portland International) then changing planes there. I know there are direct flights London --> SeaTac and London --> PDX. I don't *think* there are any direct flights from London --> Boise, but you might check on that. You should also see if there are any flights from Vancouver BC to Richland - there's a US customs point inside the Vancouver BC airport so you'd go through US customs there (don't forget your passport!)

Once you're in Richland, your options will be limited for transportation. Plan on taxis or uber, and they won't be cheap to get you to Umatilla because of the distance.

That said, "Americans" are not a terribly homogeneous group. In the part of the US that you'll be in, people tend to be friendly and will help you out if you ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask people who look like they live locally for information (you can ask "where's a good relatively inexpensive hotel?" and they'll probably know).

There are two bus options from Richland, but both take over 15 hours to get you the same distance - Umatilla is very rural and out in the middle of ... grass. Lots and lots of grass. Brown dry grass most of the year. There just isn't that much public transportation.

Since you don't drive, I would definitely fly into Richland/Pasco/Kennewick (Tri-Cities), then try to taxi your way from there. It's about a 3 - 4 hour drive from Portland, only a 45 minute drive from Richland.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Kirstylou_xx (04-04-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:24 AM

I have done travels to PDX, driving to Umatilla (3.5 hours, considering breaks - thanks to the Jetlag). This May I will try a different Route from Seattle. Still a chunk to drive (4 hours!) but it's a direct flight and I have saved about 400 EUR on the flight cost. I have heard of TriCities but on the bottom line, it's cheaper for me to take a rental car and drive. I need the car anyway to see him at Two Rivers. There is zero chance to get there without a car. I would be very surprised if buses stop around there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs_Tudor For This Useful Post:
GingerM (04-20-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:41 PM

Hi

I live in London and visit my husband in Baltimore, Maryland. I do not drive. A few things I found out the hard way (some may not apply where you are going, so check):
* Do not arrive at the prison without your passport/ID and all of the relevant inmate numbers and make sure that you are on their approved visitors list before you arrive.
* Some prisons do not let you take mobile phones inside. This can make things difficult if you don't drive especially if the prison is hard to get to on foot. You can get a cab to drop you off at the prison, just make sure that you have arranged for a cab to collect you after your visit or you could find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere. Public transport is nothing like in the UK - we are spoilt! They often put prisons in rougher parts of town or really far out of town!! Please be sure to plan well if you don't drive.
* Some prisons give you a lockable locker to store your belongings - others dont. Dont take things you dont need to or you cant afford to lose
* Be sure you are dressed appropriately or they may turn you away. No underwire bras, no revealing clothing (very low cut tops, leggings, short skirts, tight t-shirts, spagetti straps etc - check restrictions before). Some metal detectors are so sensitive that metal clips in your hair and percings may set them off. Often you get two attempts to make it through the detector and then they simply turn you away.
* Make sure that the person you are visiting is not on lock up and that the prison is not on lock down or you will have flown across the world for nothing - you will not be allowed in. You may want to call on the morning of your visit as these situations can occur overnight - dont make a trip to find that you wont be allowed in or to see the person you have gone to see.
* It sometimes helps for either the person that you are visiting or you to write to the warden and request an extended visit due to the fact that you are visiting from out of town. I have found them to be very reasonable and fair if you are polite at all times. You could find yourself spending a lot of time in town for a very short visit.
* Make sure that the person you are visiting knows that you are coming as they can generally only have a limited number of visits in a week - it would be awful if you missed out because they saw someone else.
* Arrive very early for visits and be prepared to queue (this is definitely the case in Baltimore, not sure about where you are going) I have stood in the snow for hours before. Dress for the elements.
* Some prisons allow contact visits - sitting opposite each other with nothing between, some visits are across a table, some are through glass, some through mesh etc.

I know that this sounds like a lot to consider, but it's not impossible and if you plan well you should not have any problems. It's all worth it when you make it through to the smiling person on the other side. Good luck!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beezabean For This Useful Post:
GingerM (05-02-2017), maytayah (05-03-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:50 PM

Thank you!
Old 05-03-2017, 02:23 PM

Two Rivers works on visiting points. The inmate has a certain amount of points to use a month. One point for the morning and one for the afternoon visit. Two each visit on weekends. You will have to leave after the morning visit and then come back in the afternoon. There is nowhere to wait unless you go back to someone's car.
You will have to send a letter of clear conduct with your visit application as you are not American.
The closest hotel nearby is approx. 10 to 15 minutes by car.
Flying into Tri Cities will be really expensive.

If your inmate cares for you, he will help you with all your questions. When I visited I got details of some friend's parents which would have helped.
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamGorman For This Useful Post:
GingerM (05-03-2017)