Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Legal Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Legal Information Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to Florida. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:00 AM

Default Commutation of Sentence in FLORIDA

Has anyone had any success with this type of reduction?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM

Hoping some one will answer your question because I would like to know myself. This is something we are considering as it is probably the only relief we will see from this ridiculous sentence! Good luck and let me know if you hear anything...it does not seem like people write in this topic very much! Good Luck to you!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:16 AM

No responses at all on the subject. My husband is in Florida, where is yours?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Carlos'swifey

No I don't know anyone who has tried this method. But have you tried the DOC website for more info?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvyOf212 View Post
No responses at all on the subject. My husband is in Florida, where is yours?
Sorry, I did not know how to subscribe to the thread so that I could respond. My husband is also in Florida and I am in Texas. I have done a whole lot of research on this subject and it is iffy at best. Spoke to a post conviction attorney who will handle some commutation cases for a big fee of course. He said that the rules changed in March 2011 that made it harder to have a commutation of sentence. The attorney stated that we had some good points and were realistic with what we are asking for. However, I am still a little gun shy for the price of the attorney. This is about a year + process and there are not guarantees that it will happen. So, we are gathering the information and will make a decision this summer what we are going to do. I keep asking myself what would 7 years of OUR life really be worth. If you need any info just PM me or catch up on here and I will help anyway I can.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:30 AM

Here is the little I know......Once you file for clemency you are barred from any other type of appeal.

In Florida you have to serve at least a third of your sentence before you apply. Except for lifers because that is indeterminate.

I have also heard it may take 6 years for any ruling. Of course your best chance is when a govenor is on his way out.

There are forms somewhere online that I have seen. You don't need an attorney, but I myself would hire one. In the interim if you are considering it, I would start with the PSI and get an up to date psych evaluation.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mom View Post
Here is the little I know......Once you file for clemency you are barred from any other type of appeal.

In Florida you have to serve at least a third of your sentence before you apply. Except for lifers because that is indeterminate.

I have also heard it may take 6 years for any ruling. Of course your best chance is when a govenor is on his way out.

There are forms somewhere online that I have seen. You don't need an attorney, but I myself would hire one. In the interim if you are considering it, I would start with the PSI and get an up to date psych evaluation.
Can you expand on this?

It's my understanding that you can not have an appeal pending, while putting in for Clemency, but I have never heard that you are barred from any type of appeal.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM

The lawyer I spoke with about it said once you file for clemency you are done in court, even if there are changes in the laws that you can take advantage of. I guessed that the logic is that you are accepting the sentence and asking the govenor to forgive it.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTornado View Post
Sorry, I did not know how to subscribe to the thread so that I could respond. My husband is also in Florida and I am in Texas. I have done a whole lot of research on this subject and it is iffy at best. Spoke to a post conviction attorney who will handle some commutation cases for a big fee of course. He said that the rules changed in March 2011 that made it harder to have a commutation of sentence. The attorney stated that we had some good points and were realistic with what we are asking for. However, I am still a little gun shy for the price of the attorney. This is about a year + process and there are not guarantees that it will happen. So, we are gathering the information and will make a decision this summer what we are going to do. I keep asking myself what would 7 years of OUR life really be worth. If you need any info just PM me or catch up on here and I will help anyway I can.
Sorry this process is more like a 5+ year process. My husband mailed his paperwork in to the Clemency Board in 2008 and they JUST got to in and is now in the investigation process which their department is still working in 2007 and they told me that can take up to two more years until they get to ours. sooooooooo.......wish us luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to tcheatham For This Useful Post:
icj357 (10-23-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 01:33 PM

Any updates?
Old 11-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Always keep your promises
Donation Award 

Is this the only route for sentence reduction in the state of florida for someone who has done 8 of a 15 year sentence? early release date is 03/2019, max release date is in 2022. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTornado View Post

Hi! I am curious as how this worked out for you? I am trying to get commutation of sentence for my husband. He has served 16 years so far.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:32 AM

So my husband was charged with a 30 year sentence back in 2001. This was his first adult charge, he was 18. Wasn't anything major, robbery, but they hit him with the max sentence. Considering he has done 16years and accumulated 6.5 years of good time taken off, we are trying to file for commutation of sentence. Is this a hard process? I'd like any feedback on how this is going for any of you guys. I will read through this thread to get any help or advice, but I wanted to put some of my story on here first.

Thanks!!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:33 PM

Keep in mind this is a long long ,long process. Filled with much "hurry up and wait". it is handled by the FLDOC thru the Parole Board and they have a packet they can send to you so you can at least have an idea of what is required, whether you go solo or hire an attorney. It may be one of those things that can't be successful the first time...I don't know.

Hopefully anyone with news will pm us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie's Mom For This Useful Post:
cristal0305 (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Angry hello

Quote:
Keep in mind this is a long long ,long process. Filled with much "hurry up and wait". it is handled by the FLDOC thru the Parole Board and they have a packet they can send to you so you can at least have an idea of what is required, whether you go solo or hire an attorney. It may be one of those things that can't be successful the first time...I don't know.

Hopefully anyone with news will pm us.
does it work and will it help him get out sooner?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Donation Award 

yes it tough to do, and it has to be done before 18 months of you being in the prison system
Old 04-20-2017, 07:16 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabeNieve View Post
So my husband was charged with a 30 year sentence back in 2001. This was his first adult charge, he was 18. Wasn't anything major, robbery, but they hit him with the max sentence. Considering he has done 16years and accumulated 6.5 years of good time taken off, we are trying to file for commutation of sentence. Is this a hard process? I'd like any feedback on how this is going for any of you guys. I will read through this thread to get any help or advice, but I wanted to put some of my story on here first.

Thanks!!
it has to be filed in the 1st 18 months in prison
Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51littlemama View Post
it has to be filed in the 1st 18 months in prison
No..it cant be filed until 1/3 of the sentence has been served and you are all thru in court. Once you fike you cant appeal. There is a package from the parole board that will have the rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie's Mom For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
No..it cant be filed until 1/3 of the sentence has been served and you are all thru in court. Once you fike you cant appeal. There is a package from the parole board that will have the rules.
where can i read that rule at ?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM

Call parole bd in tally...they will send you a packet..