Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:24 PM

Default Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) wristband meanings?

Hi, my friend recently got a white wristband, no writing or anything, a plain plastic wristband. When asked what it was for he was told it was because he's a heat-risk for when it gets hotter. But today some guy told him that he knew his charges because of his bracelet.

Does anyone know what the different colors mean? I've only heard of wristbands for dietary restrictions, which my friend doesn't have. Thanks in advance for any information.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2017, 06:29 PM
TDCJ hand

Thanked 1,320 Times in 716 Posts

The only experience I had regarding them was to differentiate between state jail confines and ID inmates.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:27 PM

At Hightower, they use them to differentiate what building they are in - to help them make sure everyone is in the right place quicker.
The Following User Says Thank You to mbkmn For This Useful Post:
TXGirl12 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:39 PM

He said not everyone in his dorm has one, so I don't think it has to do with location. He's at Gurney, if that helps clarify anything!?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:43 PM

Thanked 9,075 Times in 5,207 Posts

Has he completed the intake process? I haven't seen a Directive on bands, but on a facility that isn't split in its population as on the State Jails doing double duty as transfer facilities, I could also envision it being used to distinguish intake-complete and those still undergoing the intake processes.

That being said, I can also easily see it being used to identify some manner of medical, especially if it is something where they should not be at outside rec during higher temp days...

What other bands are in use that he has described in his dorm?
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
TXGirl12 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM

He's completed intake. He's been there for a little over 2 months now.

Right, which is why it made sense when he got it that he was told it's so the guards can make sure he gets medical help if needed since he has a history of passing out due to high heat. The guy coming up and talking to him today is what made him start questioning it.

He's nervous since he came up and told him that he knows his charges are because of the band. I tried searching for stuff on here but there aren't many threads about wristbands, so I thought I'd ask. I would think it would put offenders in danger if TDCJ identified them by charges so publicly...

I haven't asked if he's seen any other bands. But he's said that only a couple of them have these white ones.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:59 PM
Donation Award 

In 5 years a lord only knows how many units, I have never seen wristband!! But I agree that I highly doubt they would single out offenses like that. It would just cause way more problems than need be
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGirl12 View Post
Hi, my friend recently got a white wristband, no writing or anything, a plain plastic wristband. When asked what it was for he was told it was because he's a heat-risk for when it gets hotter. But today some guy told him that he knew his charges because of his bracelet.

Does anyone know what the different colors mean? I've only heard of wristbands for dietary restrictions, which my friend doesn't have. Thanks in advance for any information.
At my husbands unit the color of wristband indicates what building he is in. I'm not sure if that is everywhere.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:18 PM

So I finally remembered to ask my husband the reason for the wristbands... His unit has them to identify the building they are supposed to be in. He is in Stiles.