Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, community service, half-way houses, and ex-offender employment in Michigan should be posted here.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:52 PM

Angry Parole Violation absconding & extradited to Michigan

todays date april 2017 hello everyone im new here! Been racking my brain and researching like crazy and ran across this website and it has provided me with alot of helpful information just have a few questions so first let me explain to you the case im dealing with.. My boyfriend has recently been arrested in Tennessee for a felony fugitive warrant (absconding parole from Michigan) he was originally sentenced up to five 5 years in 2013 for breaking and entering and got released on parole in sep. of 2014 he absconded in 2015 and his max out date is Dec. of 2018.... he was extradited to michigan about a week ago and is currently being held in the Charles reception and guidance center he has had his parole hearing and they recommended he returns to prison until his max out date (does the board normally go off what is recommended?) now we are currently waiting for the next hearing was wondering how long this process could take and when we will know the final decision of the parole board and if does go back to prison will he still be able to receive a good time and get out earlier or when will he go back in front of the parole board also wanting to have his parole transferred to Tennessee if he is released and wondering how that process works and what we need to do. Im currently pregnant with his child and due in june coming up soon and really need him to be here with us.... any information you can give me will help ive been a nervous wreck and noone will tell me anything, ive tried calling everyone up there!!!!

Last edited by johnnwhit; 04-16-2017 at 10:58 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 AM

Michigan has NO good time. No early release. If the board recommended he do his finish til his max date, then that is probably what will happen. He should hear his final decision soon (within the month). I would expect for the worst and him being released in Dec 2018. If they came to TN and picked him up, they want him to finish his time. If he doesn't commit a new crime while inside (it happens) he should be done in 2018. He won't be getting out early since we have no good time or early release here. If he maxes out, there won't be any parole to deal with unless they pull a fast one and parole him out on his max date. Not sure about doing an interstate compact...but I don't think you'll have to worry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnwhit View Post
todays date april 2017 hello everyone im new here! Been racking my brain and researching like crazy and ran across this website and it has provided me with alot of helpful information just have a few questions so first let me explain to you the case im dealing with.. My boyfriend has recently been arrested in Tennessee for a felony fugitive warrant (absconding parole from Michigan) he was originally sentenced up to five 5 years in 2013 for breaking and entering and got released on parole in sep. of 2014 he absconded in 2015 and his max out date is Dec. of 2018.... he was extradited to michigan about a week ago and is currently being held in the Charles reception and guidance center he has had his parole hearing and they recommended he returns to prison until his max out date (does the board normally go off what is recommended?) now we are currently waiting for the next hearing was wondering how long this process could take and when we will know the final decision of the parole board and if does go back to prison will he still be able to receive a good time and get out earlier or when will he go back in front of the parole board also wanting to have his parole transferred to Tennessee if he is released and wondering how that process works and what we need to do. Im currently pregnant with his child and due in june coming up soon and really need him to be here with us.... any information you can give me will help ive been a nervous wreck and noone will tell me anything, ive tried calling everyone up there!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pookiedoo2 For This Useful Post:
johnnwhit (04-17-2017), nimuay (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:32 AM

Thanked 8,878 Times in 5,123 Posts

When he chose to abscond, he chose to do so knowing he would likely go back and have to complete the sentence without benefit of an immediate release. Street time credits are typically lost in such an instance, unless Michigan is one of those oddballs that allows an absconder to benefit from running for almost all of his time out of custody.

Unless he has immediate family in Tennessee, you need to realize that he isn't coming back via Interstate Compact even if Michigan releases him back to parole at any time in the near future. It sucks for the newborn and you, but he KNEW this when he made the choice not to abide by his release conditions and instead leave the State.

It is difficult to say whether competent counsel would have helped in the hearing given the abilities to keep certain things OUT of a hearing, but they would certainly have been able to more aptly present any mitigation. But that ship has sailed now...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
johnnwhit (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 12:27 PM

No early release in Michigan. If he seen parole and they recommended he is there until his max out date. He might not even see the board because he will be there until his max out date. He can tell his counceler when he gets to where he's going that he wants to parole out of state but im not sure how that works because your not married that's even if he will have to be on parole .

Last edited by nygirl17; 04-17-2017 at 12:30 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to nygirl17 For This Useful Post:
johnnwhit (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:44 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you to all that has replied so far, Im hoping for the best but preparing myself for the worst, just wish they would hurry up and make the final decision so I know what im up against.. If he does serve his time till his max out date it is a good thing for him because we wont have to deal with this at all anymore and wont have to worry about the whole parole process and him possibly violating again because I know he will come straight to TN to be with me our baby and his whole family lives down here, he has noone up there, that was why he originally left there while on parole in the first place his brother passed away and he wanted to be with his family... so if they do decide to release him back out parole it would be in his and their best interest to do so here in TN. being in michigan is not a good place for him he has no support there and will end up reviolationing... the hardest part of this whole process is knowing he will miss the birth of our baby and wont be home until hes almost 2 years old will miss all the first steps and everything the most important parts of our childs life... but on a positive note our son wont be old enough to remember this happening and it will all be done and over with by time he realizes whats going on with his daddy.. another thing i just dont understand is he was locked up down here last year for the warrant in michigan and they didnt come and get him they didnt want him so we thought we were in the clear now all the sudden they do want him and no new charges just came to the house and got him out of the blue.. another question I have is if they do revoke his parole and send him back to prison will he be eligable for parole again after serving some time or will it be revoked completely and have to stay till his max out date

Last edited by johnnwhit; 04-17-2017 at 02:59 PM..
Old 04-17-2017, 02:50 PM

I just spoke to my husband and I have a question. How many months did he abscond??? And was his original max out date 2018???

Old 04-17-2017, 03:16 PM

Reason I'm asking is because of the parole board may give him day for day for every day he absconded because it doesn't count.

Last edited by nygirl17; 04-17-2017 at 03:30 PM..
patchouli (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 03:39 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,816 Times in 13,048 Posts

Yes, the clock on parole usually stops when the offender absconds, which means all that time is still on the table.

FYI: Should he be released before his max date, he can Interstate Compact his parole to a family member in Tennessee.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:22 PM

Yep that's what my husband said so not only will the make him max out they may add more time.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:30 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Well, not add more time really...its his time to do and since he absconded he'll have to serve that time. They can't "add time to his sentence" to make his sentence any longer than he was actually sentenced. He didn't hold up his end of the parole bargain so the time absconding doesn't count towards parole and will change his max date.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:48 PM

Yes they do it didn't count they will add more time to his sentence. They add day for day since the day he absconded so if it was a year they could add another year to his max out date.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:52 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Its his time, he didn't do it on parole so he has to do it now. It isn't that "they" add time to his sentence, he did that by leaving the state and not reporting...but I know what you're saying
Old 04-17-2017, 04:54 PM

Yeah pretty much same thing. Because he didn't do it and absconded it's like it didn't happen. So they take everyday he absconded and add it right back to his max out date. So how ever long that was probably will be added right on to his max sentence.

patchouli (04-17-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 AM

I'm not exactly sure what month he stopped reporting to parole but I believe it was at the end of of 2015 so im really hoping they do not add that to his max out date that's nearly another 1 year and a half he will have to serve... He has already went for his 1st hearing and they recommend he stay till his max out date dec. of 2018 directly quoted from them, never mentioned anything about extending it or any other date.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:50 AM

That's just the recommended time from quarantine the parole board will decide what will happen when the time comes. I wish you the best in that. Keep us posted. My husband said that's normally what the do because when you abscond it's like your not doing your parole time so it stopped. But anything can happen in Michigan. Just stay positive and hope for the best.

patchouli (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM

Thank you for all the info and deff will keep y'all updated haven't heard anything yet... Hes been in there since the 11th of this month still waiting for his revoction hearing I'm praying he only has to serve a little time and then get his parole transferred down here. He also said one of the other inmates was recommended to do 12 months and they just released him right back on parole .. so you never really know.with them Michigan is packed and aren't trying to hold anyone right now
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnwhit For This Useful Post:
patchouli (04-18-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 AM

is absconding considered a tec violation? Also he just told me he has 3 different violations one for change of address one for dropping dirty and another for not reporting what could be the possible outcome for these?
Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 AM

To be honest I don't think so. I think it's a bit more serious because you said he had a felony fugitive warrent issued. The other are technical violations. Michigan is all over the place as to what could be done. I would at least be prepared for the December 2018 out date. But also be prepared for maybe a longer sentence. Have you checked the web site to see if it's changed???

Old 04-20-2017, 01:23 PM

My husband said you are not arrested on a felony fugitive warrant for absconding parole. He said there possibly could be a felony charge pending or something like that. And yes absconding beginning and all the other things you stated are all technical violations and when you have more then one they all count as one single violation. Which would mean they will make him max out and then do whatever the see fit for the absconding or the possi or other felony charge if there is one.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:33 PM

Thanked 8,878 Times in 5,123 Posts

Absconding is a technical violation in most jurisdictions. However, there are some where it can be prosecuted as a new felony offense. I have no idea what the current state of the law is in Michigan in that regard...
Old 04-20-2017, 11:22 PM

Still no news yet.. still waiting on a decision but nygirl17 I believe it was a felony fugitive warrant because his original charge that put him on parole was a felony breaking and entering.... and no otis still says the same thing "Parolee returned to prison for alleged parole violation" and the dates have not changed yet either.. he has no other felony charges pending that we are aware of if he did they wouldn't have released him on parole in the first place and with the absconding and other violations they can only hold him till his max out date but it could be changed for the time he wasnt reporting... it was not classified as another felony charge just a violation... they have up to 60 days to make a decision on what they are going to do today is day 16 I will keep yall updated.. he is thinking they will most likely give a 6-12 month flop and then be reeligable for parole I sure hope he is right, from what im hearing that doesnt seem like it will be the case. Keep us in your prayers please! thank you everyone.. this site helps me get through alot
Old 04-21-2017, 08:03 PM

Just received the news that they have pushed his max out date to may of 2019 for the time he abscounded.. still no news about his earliest release date.. will he still be eligable for parole since he already violated or will they make him stay till his max out date?
Old 04-23-2017, 12:07 PM

They will more than likely make him stay til his max date since he absconded and they had to fetch him from out of state. They don't look favorably on that. If they didn't give him an ERD...then he won't be considered for parole again. I wouldn't expect it, anyway. If they were going to let him out earlier on parole, they would have just kept his max date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnwhit View Post
Just received the news that they have pushed his max out date to may of 2019 for the time he abscounded.. still no news about his earliest release date.. will he still be eligable for parole since he already violated or will they make him stay till his max out date?
Old 04-23-2017, 04:02 PM

He has received the Earliest release date yet because they havent gave him a flop yet. Still waiting on a decision for his parole to be revoked and at that time is when they will possibly give him an earliest release date.. and Them changing the max out date would have nothing to do with that, thats just longer he could be held or have to do longer on parole which is more money for them so of course they are going to change it for the time he absconded..
Old 04-23-2017, 05:15 PM

I would say your gonna have to wait it out and see what they say. They could pretty much do anything at this point. But since his first meeting states that they want him to stay till his max out date they might go ahead and make him stay that long but that's the worst case scenario. Just stay positive and hope for the best.