Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Virginia Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 03-14-2017, 10:54 AM

Default New VADOC Regulations? Giving copy of mail to inmate, trashing original?

Has anyone heard about the new VADOC Regulations regarding mail that is starting April 17th 2017? My LO told me that his facility and supossingly the entire VADOC no longer will be giving the original letters or cards to inmates. They will copy everything and trash the original. This is what he told me yesterday. Has anyone heard about this as well? He is at Nottoway but when I told him he didnt have long because he is awaiting to move he stated that this will effect VA period. Also they can no longer wear their blue jeans and shirt in the visiting room only jumpsuits the orange ones will be allowed. This is crazy!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:17 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,803 Times in 13,434 Posts

If that's true, their budget for copy paper will go through the roof! Talk about our tax dollars at work

EDIT: I found the following on VADOC webpage:

Effective September 1, 2015, all incoming envelopes containing correspondence of any kind will be photocopied, removed, and discarded by facility mailroom staff prior to the offender receiving their mail. The offender will then be provided with the photocopy of the envelope. To ensure the offender receives the return address, please place the return address on the front of the envelope.

https://vadoc.virginia.gov/offenders...life/mail.shtm

Nothing about making copies of letters. I'm sure they discard the envelopes because of the use of the glue strip and/or stamp to smuggles drugs.

Last edited by patchouli; 03-14-2017 at 11:21 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Keltria (05-06-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 12:46 PM

Thats what I was thinking too! However it was effective 2015 but only envelops because they still would get the original pics and letters. why would they waste paper to copy a letter that is crazy. he mentioned that they want to keep a record of what is being sent in so maybe that is why but he stated it starts April 17 ������ They discard envelops yes but not a picture or card.

Last edited by str82daheart; 03-14-2017 at 12:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to str82daheart For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 06:29 PM

Angry New vadoc rules

My son told me about the New rules today. They are
Removing the sandwich machines, trashing the original mail and giving them only a copy of what we send to them. They also have to wear the jump suits and they have to strip and change their underwear to put on some provided by the institution so that they can visit us. They also have to wear The flat boat shoes or whatever they are transported with. These rules only affect level 2 and up. Just imagine how much this will slow down the mail they receive and I'm asking are the breaking federal laws by destroying the original mail. They are doing this I understand to stop drugs and contraband from coming in. They need to check the officers comings and goings because they do not pull off their shoes when they come in and they are barely patted down. I think it is wrong to stop the family or visitor from having a meal with their love ones or friends. The food they serve sucks, and I've heard that from many people. That's what I understand about the New rules. I'm going to contact our senator and others to look into this.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by str82daheart View Post
Has anyone heard about the new VADOC Regulations regarding mail that is starting April 17th 2017? My LO told me that his facility and supossingly the entire VADOC no longer will be giving the original letters or cards to inmates. They will copy everything and trash the original. This is what he told me yesterday. Has anyone heard about this as well? He is at Nottoway but when I told him he didnt have long because he is awaiting to move he stated that this will effect VA period. Also they can no longer wear their blue jeans and shirt in the visiting room only jumpsuits the orange ones will be allowed. This is crazy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodnighter For This Useful Post:
Critter07 (03-20-2017), patchouli (03-14-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnighter View Post
My son told me about the New rules today. They are
Removing the sandwich machines, trashing the original mail and giving them only a copy of what we send to them. They also have to wear the jump suits and they have to strip and change their underwear to put on some provided by the institution so that they can visit us. They also have to wear The flat boat shoes or whatever they are transported with. These rules only affect level 2 and up. Just imagine how much this will slow down the mail they receive and I'm asking are the breaking federal laws by destroying the original mail. They are doing this I understand to stop drugs and contraband from coming in. They need to check the officers comings and goings because they do not pull off their shoes when they come in and they are barely patted down. I think it is wrong to stop the family or visitor from having a meal with their love ones or friends. The food they serve sucks, and I've heard that from many people. That's what I understand about the New rules. I'm going to contact our senator and others to look into this.

[/b]
This is so sad! I heard the very same thing. The crazy thing is I am sending every pic I can get my hand on. EVERYONE of them now! I am sending letters for special occasions and cards now. This is so messed up! I basically have to get my stuff together and send as much stuff before the 12th. Let me tell you this. I understand they want to crack down on contraband but the way they are checking people before they come in is not correctly. They need to fix that then maybe they won't have things coming in. Also you are right about the C/O's specially those female ones…lets just say some (not all) are attention seekers and do a lot for these inmates. This whole thing is stressful. In all honestly what would it do for them to trash a inmate original picture…This has me pissed. Oh and the pictures they copy will be in black and white. SMH!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Good afternoon!! I spoke directly with St. Brides staff today to obtain clarification regarding this issue. Each location may be a bit different, but this is what I was directly told.
STATE WIDE
1. Offenders will change out to under whites & jumpsuits when arriving at visitation ( they will go through a search at beginning and conclusion of visit.)
2. Vending machines at St. Brides are 100% remaining , but some food options will be changed.
(most likely, food/chip bags selections will need to be in see through bags when placed in machines)
3. Mail - all mail will be photocopied and originals will be destroyed. This includes photographs & greeting cards. Pictures will be printed (blk&white) on copy paper. This is to ensure offenders do not come in direct contract with paper being mailed in. If your L.O. has a player, send the picture through Jpay and they can then download it from email and view it anytime.
Other than that, everything else at least for St. Brides remains the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to fryefrye For This Useful Post:
Critter07 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 AM

please also note that they can only receive 3 copies!! per mail piece and that is including the envelope so for example if you send a postcard the envelope is one copy, the front of the card counts as the second copy and the inside of the card counts as the third copy. keep this in mind when sending a picture along.

There is a reason why two people stay together: they give eachother something nobody else can !

....3199 miles between me and my love....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jootje For This Useful Post:
Critter07 (03-20-2017), fryefrye (03-20-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:21 PM

Default Confirming what you heard! Hubby told me the same info!! Send pics now

[quote=str82daheart;7608838]Has anyone heard about the new VADOC Regulations regarding mail that is starting April 17th 2017? My LO told me that his facility and supossingly the entire VADOC no longer will be giving the original letters or cards to inmates. They will copy everything and trash the original. This is what he told me yesterday. Has anyone heard about this as well? He is at Nottoway but when I told him he didnt have long because he is awaiting to move he stated that this will effect VA period. Also they can no longer wear their blue jeans and shirt in the visiting room only jumpsuits the orange ones will be allowed. This is crazy![/QUOTE

My sweetheart gave me same info! They will no longer get the originals of anything! Cards, letters, and pictures will all be photocopied!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:24 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,611 Times in 817 Posts

Wow this is awful. What a huge waste of paper!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
Wow this is awful. What a huge waste of paper!
Yup! I went on head and sent some important cards early like bday and anniversary for this year. It sucks that he won't ever be able to get physical card again.
Sinir.Fridyrr (03-25-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Yup! I went on head and sent some important cards early like bday and anniversary for this year. It sucks that he won't ever be able to get physical card again.
This really does suck, because I always treated him receiving cards esp on birthday or Christmas sort of like receiving gifts. It made it easier here at home knowing that he was receiving "gifts" on Christmas and birthday. Now they can't even get the real card and it just sucks.
I can't wait for this to be over, for all of us with loved ones going through this. Thinking of you all! Take care and stay strong.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 PM

I have found out since that its illegal and a federal offense to destroy, copy or tamper with the original mail, DOC is not allowed to regulate beyond whats already regulated by federal law.
Being abroad I just don't know how to go about fighting this new policy they made up on this post copying issue....

There is a reason why two people stay together: they give eachother something nobody else can !

....3199 miles between me and my love....
Old 03-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jootje View Post
I have found out since that its illegal and a federal offense to destroy, copy or tamper with the original mail, DOC is not allowed to regulate beyond whats already regulated by federal law.
Being abroad I just don't know how to go about fighting this new policy they made up on this post copying issue....

I just spoke with an Inspector of the United States Postal Service and was advised that since it is a correctional facility and the Virginia Board of Corrections voted to approve this new mail procedure, that they can indeed override a Federally Regulated law, if warranted by need to control contraband. Sucks, but it's their world, we just live in it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fryefrye For This Useful Post:
Jootje (03-29-2017), patchouli (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryefrye View Post
I just spoke with an Inspector of the United States Postal Service and was advised that since it is a correctional facility and the Virginia Board of Corrections voted to approve this new mail procedure, that they can indeed override a Federally Regulated law, if warranted by need to control contraband. Sucks, but it's their world, we just live in it.
You are 100% right! We live in their world. However don't let it stop anyone from doing what they are for their love ones. I feel like they want them to be as miserable as possible but I will continue to support 100% as much as possible no matter how harder they try to make it.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
You are 100% right! We live in their world. However don't let it stop anyone from doing what they are for their love ones. I feel like they want them to be as miserable as possible but I will continue to support 100% as much as possible no matter how harder they try to make it.
Totally agree with you! We need to keep it together for our loved ones and do whatever we can to support them. I try not to let my son know that changes like this bothers me, because it bothers him more and he's the one inside dealing with it. I told him we'll just once again have to adjust to the new rules. I can say this... All this bs should make our loved ones walk the line when they come home and remember what it's like in there and to not do anything to go back once out. I really wouldn't wish what we go through or definitely what our loved ones go through on my worst enemy.
I'm glad to have connected on this site with such supportive people!

Old 03-31-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Vadoc new mail procedure explaination video

https://youtu.be/u5rrqPuqYJM

I confirmed with VADOC that magazine subscriptions and books from vendors will be delivered as normal. This new rule is strictly for general correspondence (you to loved one) mail.

The Following User Says Thank You to fryefrye For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (04-04-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 04:40 AM

Fryefrye: you did what I planned to do, thanks for sharing, we STILL should write the Postmaster General, the lady all the way at the top. Bombard them with calls, send huge amounts of mail ANYWAY! Its 4 COPIES, not 3
Old 04-17-2017, 06:59 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator on Leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineQueen View Post
Fryefrye: you did what I planned to do, thanks for sharing, we STILL should write the Postmaster General, the lady all the way at the top. Bombard them with calls, send huge amounts of mail ANYWAY! Its 4 COPIES, not 3
What's that going to do? The Postmaster General has stated that because it is a correctional facility and it's an attempt to control contraband, it's legal. Also, since it is DOC, it could backfire. Please truly think through any action you wish to take... Including how it could affect your LO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IzzyLouWho For This Useful Post:
fryefrye (04-17-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (04-17-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Faith , Hope & Love

Hey , I went on a visit weekend just gone and they was talking about this at Red Onion , I also know they are taking away food from the visits and they will have to snack on candy and soda

Quote:
Old 04-20-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimzy View Post
Hey , I went on a visit weekend just gone and they was talking about this at Red Onion , I also know they are taking away food from the visits and they will have to snack on candy and soda
Yeah they took out my LO machines and my female cousin machines already. It sucks! You would think they was about money because the food vendors were getting paid with those $4.00 food items but I guess they just want to be difficult as always.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 PM

Did they leave any of the machines? What can you still buy during visitation?

Old 04-21-2017, 02:35 AM
Faith , Hope & Love

Quote:
Yeah they took out my LO machines and my female cousin machines already. It sucks! You would think they was about money because the food vendors were getting paid with those $4.00 food items but I guess they just want to be difficult as always.
Yeah , the vending machine was full by the 2nd visit towards the end , it could not take anymore money , I know we spent $60 and that was only feeding my LO , he ate like he had not had food in years. For a skinny dude he can put it away lol.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:35 AM
Faith , Hope & Love

Quote:
Did they leave any of the machines? What can you still buy during visitation?
Candy and Soda
Old 04-23-2017, 06:27 PM

Went for visitation this weekend at St. Brides...
They are down to 3 drink machines and 1 candy machine. The candy machine had snickers, Reese's, Payday, Hersey Bar, Kit Kat and a few different fiber bars, each one at $1.00.
I advised my son to get up and go to breakfast before our visit and go to lunch after.
Jumpsuits are new and tan in color. Shoes are orange knock off slide on vans.
For the most part all the guys came in laughing and taking it with a sense of humor. I always say the visit is more than important what you/he wears or what can be purchased out of the machines. All in all, it was still a great visit!!

Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Went for visitation this weekend at St. Brides...
They are down to 3 drink machines and 1 candy machine. The candy machine had snickers, Reese's, Payday, Hersey Bar, Kit Kat and a few different fiber bars, each one at $1.00.
I advised my son to get up and go to breakfast before our visit and go to lunch after.
Jumpsuits are new and tan in color. Shoes are orange knock off slide on vans.
For the most part all the guys came in laughing and taking it with a sense of humor. I always say the visit is more than important what you/he wears or what can be purchased out of the machines. All in all, it was still a great visit!!
You are right! The visit is much more than what they have on but I cant help but say WOW!!