Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:43 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Speaking to those of you who have long road trips to visit or meet up. Do any of you listen to audio books? When I was traveling regularly from Houston to deep into Florida, and sometimes all the way down to Key West, Satellite radio was cool for a while but 5-6 back and forth trips in less than a 12 months started to get really monotonous! One of my friends turned me on to audio books and it didn't take me long to get hooked! Believe it or not, they keep me more alert and awake on long trips as well... Which is the absolute opposite of how quickly they'll put me to sleep if I listen to them when I lay down to sleep.

If anyone ever wants some, I have a massive collection of both fiction and non-fiction that I'm happy to share.
I have never thought about audio books... What kind do ya have? I've got three days of driving ahead of me.

Last edited by David; 04-14-2017 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Editing the quotes to match my edit
The Following User Says Thank You to IzzyLouWho For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (04-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,606 Times in 1,554 Posts

Best bet is to start with the type of books you like to read. They have them on virtually every topic and type. Give me something to work with and I'll see what I can get for you.

Do you have Bluetooth or an audio input jack in your vehicle? If not, there are plenty of other workarounds such as broadcasting from your phone (or tablet, etc) to an unused FM channel. Headphones also work well, especially if you have others with you. I took my parents on a 1 month long upper East Coast road trip a couple of years ago and we all ended up with our own headphones on listening to different audio books for the longer parts between destinations. It also kept my father and I argument / fight free for such a long trip in close proximity.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:39 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,044 Posts

There's been several books I've thought about getting on audio. Since having our youngest, now 2 and a half, I rarely have time to actually sit down with a book. If I could listen while driving or gardening or writing that would be awesome.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Well, name names! My telepathy wand is broken.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Lol my wish list is mostly Old Norse related text...I didn't respond in hopes that anyone would actually have them. The Poetic Edda, Saga of the Icelanders, any of the Icelandic sagas...Saga of the Volsungs, Teutonic Mythology, Germanic Heathenry, Tacitus: Germania, The D’Aulaires’ Book of Norse Myths (for bed time with the baby), Dictionary of Northern Mythology....

You get the point....
Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 AM

Happy Easter, everyone...
Fridyrr.Likn (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Happy Easter!
Old 04-16-2017, 04:11 PM

Happy Easter everyone!!
Fridyrr.Likn (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 03:00 PM

So much for the visit I was so looking forward to - got up and left part way through bc my fuybwas being a jerk. Made me so sad bc I had so been looking forward to this visit and I go through so much just to visit w my super long drive and the expense of it all it's like he doesn't get it and takes it for granted. I know he has stress in there too but I didn't put him in there he has no right to take it out on me when I visit save that for calls at least but shoot not the little time we have in person. So I was in tears going home makes me not want to visit again bc this happens too much - does anyone else have experience w this the stress becoming too much and you feel taken for granted and makes you not want to go anymore?? Breaks my heart...sorry just had to vent bc I've been in tears off and on today...
Old 04-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

I'm sorry you had such a rough visit after going through so much to get there! I don't have any advice but I'm here if you just need to vent!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

I did!! I searched for a while but there are not many in audio books, and the ones that were.. Well, they were not available outside of getting them from Amazon direct. I did add them to a notification list I get when things show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
Lol my wish list is mostly Old Norse related text...I didn't respond in hopes that anyone would actually have them. The Poetic Edda, Saga of the Icelanders, any of the Icelandic sagas...Saga of the Volsungs, Teutonic Mythology, Germanic Heathenry, Tacitus: Germania, The D’Aulaires’ Book of Norse Myths (for bed time with the baby), Dictionary of Northern Mythology....

You get the point....
Fridyrr.Likn (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

David you're so awesome, thank you!

My husband was just moved an hour and a half away so I may go ahead and get a few on Amazon to listen to during the drive. Though probably not great for staying awake!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Seriously, they kept me awake driving much more than I would have ever imagined! Of course, if I try it while laying in bed, I'm usually KO'd with the quickness. I've made it a habit to "bookmark" any audio book before my head hits the pillow or I'll end up searching back for a long time trying to find where I last remembered.

Amazon translates to Audible.com. (Same company) I think you actually get a few free books when you sign up. Worth the try!
Fridyrr.Likn (04-20-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc916 View Post
So much for the visit I was so looking forward to - got up and left part way through bc my fuybwas being a jerk. Made me so sad bc I had so been looking forward to this visit and I go through so much just to visit w my super long drive and the expense of it all it's like he doesn't get it and takes it for granted. I know he has stress in there too but I didn't put him in there he has no right to take it out on me when I visit save that for calls at least but shoot not the little time we have in person. So I was in tears going home makes me not want to visit again bc this happens too much - does anyone else have experience w this the stress becoming too much and you feel taken for granted and makes you not want to go anymore?? Breaks my heart...sorry just had to vent bc I've been in tears off and on today...
Not to trivialize your situation but my fiance's best friend has a very similar one. However, unlike you, I don't think she realizes its unhealthy/not positive. We're in PA so the system is set up a little different here. Phone calls are a bit cheaper and he has access to emails...which he uses basically as long text messages. They will email back and forth 10-15 times a day. Plus at least 2-3 phone calls each day. All this adds up. She comes out to visit him every time and he's not real far...about 90 minutes away.

They have a kid together and she is holding her kid hostage until he gets out...hoping/expecting for this perfect family. Meanwhile he is in prison for trying to light one of his ex's on fire while she was locked in a car! She buys him $1000s of dollars of stuff for when he gets out. Video games, tablets, musical equipment, CDs, records, clothes. Dude still has 3-4 years left if he doesn't make parole (which he won't, he likes it in there). So a bunch of the stuff will be obsolete by the time he gets out.

Get this? He told her what furniture to get...and he's not even sitting on it!

And the worst part is, if anything doesn't happen the way he wants it...like lets say she gets Call of Duty 4 and he wants Call of Duty 5, well its a week of angry emails and calls about how she is an idiot. Or there's 2 copies of a CD he wants and she gets the wrong one. Same thing. He is just the most unappreciative prick in the world. She probably spends $1000 a month on him and he treats her like a piece of shit.

What does the kid get? Not that much. She won't take him to the zoo/park/amusement park/museum....any kid stuff. Because she will see kids with their Moms *and Dads* and get upset. She's holding the kid hostage until her BF gets out. She has these two junkies babysit the kid because daycare is too expensive. We found her a daycare that was $170/week. She spends that much on calls/emails/books money. This guy always goes first before the kid and its just not right. Don't get me wrong, the kid has toys and clothes and stuff but not $1000/month worth. He has to get babysit by junkies instead of a daycare. He has to wear a breathing machine at night because she smokes in the house.

I'm not nearly as angry with the guy locked up as I am the girlfriend. She is the crux of the whole situation.

Sorry for the rant, just had to get that off my chest with some people that might know how its like.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:14 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about what is going on w that child too often children get pushed aside or put in the middle of drama when they deserve to be the shining stars bc they didn't ask to be here and are innocent in everything and don't have choices in how things go down so it's very unfortunate how his early life is turning out bc that imprints on him. Hopefully some positive adults will step up to be good influences in the difficult times where and when they can - I'll hope for that.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:56 AM

Yeah she's basically sticking her son in prison because his POS Dad is there. I'm sure he would rather go to the park with just his Mom than wait 3-6 years and go with both of them. Meanwhile, the guy has zero intention of getting out early. He likes it there. He probably has the fattest commissary bag. He has his woman basically on a leash. Its just sad.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:13 AM

So what is the weather like In AZ right now? I'm leaving Friday to go out there. Hubby gets out on the 2nd. I can't wait.... I miss him.
Fridyrr.Likn (04-24-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:38 AM
here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingMrsB View Post
So what is the weather like In AZ right now? I'm leaving Friday to go out there. Hubby gets out on the 2nd. I can't wait.... I miss him.
Unseasonably warm. I just love hearing the weather reporters saying "flirting with triple digits"

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 12:00 PM

It's 59 here in Southern Illinois. It's also been dreary here... I'm looking forward to the Arizona sun
Old 04-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

100 degrees sitting here at Lewis prison waiting to go in.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:29 PM

I wish I was there with you...
Old 04-23-2017, 01:41 PM

Next weekend it says in the 80s just for the weekend tho fri-sun but then goes back up to in the 90s for the week. I do not like the heat can't wait to move back to the Midwest - Chicago. We've even talked about NC possibly in the future - it's so pretty there and chill or at least it was when I visited the areas I visited. I like greenery.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
I wish I was there with you...
You will be soooooon!

I also hate the heat.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:27 PM
here

Quote:
It's 59 here in Southern Illinois. It's also been dreary here... I'm looking forward to the Arizona sun
Feel free to pack some of that and bring it with you. And I'll happily send the extra heat when you head back. I don't mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post: