Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TENNESSEE > Tennessee Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Tennessee Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Tennessee.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:46 AM

Default Do I need to schedule visitation?

I am new to all this even though my son was in jail briefly, prison is another thing. I want to know if I can just show up for visitation if my application was approved. My man had been in nwcx for a long time. I have never seen him or met him face to face and he tells me that he is on visitation restriction due to failing drug screens, however I might be able to come On Friday nights since I am coming from over 200 miles away. This doesn’t make sense to me. I started thinking maybe someone else is visiting him on weekends. So I plan to just show up for a Saturday visit to try to find out if this is true or not. It doesn’t appear that visits have to be scheduled. Can someone please tell me?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2019, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,339 Times in 2,896 Posts

Welcome to PTO, Skgonales. I'm sorry you need us, but glad you found us.

I've given your post it's own thread as it has several different questions in it.

I'm not from TN, so I can say this with absolutely certainty but here's how it would work in most state run prisons:

1. If he was not in trouble, you would be able to visit without an appointment during normal visiting hours.

2. If he is in trouble, you would need to schedule an appointment.

3. If he failed a Urinalysis ("hot UA"), he'll definitely be in trouble.

4. If you want to find out about whether he's even allowed visitation, you should be able to call the prison, tell them how far you're driving and that you want to make sure you'll be able to visit him and ask them to look YOU up in their records to see if all the paperwork is in order. They may then tell you that he can only have limited visitation right now, or they may tell you that everything's good for normal visitation. You can't ask directly about HIM, but you can ask about yourself.

Or you can show up on Saturday and be told that he's got restricted visitation and you have to make an appointment and come back later (where later = at least a week later due to getting all the paperwork done to schedule a visit).

I don't see anything in what he told you that would make me think he's not being entirely truthful with you. The only thing I see that raises a red flag for me is that he came back with a hot UA - drugs are relatively easy to get a hold of inside, but just like outside, a person still has to know the right people and be *trying* to get them.

Hopefully someone will be along soon who knows more about the specifics of the TN system than I do, and can give you more accurate information.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 AM

Smile Thank you

Ginger, I thank you so much for your insight. Everything you said was pretty much the conclusion I have come to. I have called the vistation office dozens of times but no one ever answers. Yesterday I chose security office on the voice menu instead in an effort to get through to ANYONE and the officer transferred me to a real person who was the visitation sergeant. She was too busy to help me because it was Saturday and day of visitation but says she would call me back but she never did. It’s so frustrating not to be able to get through to anyone. I had planned to simply tell her how far I was coming and who I was coming to see and ask her if there would be anything that might prevent me from seeing him once I got there. I submitted the visitation application form months ago so I should be approved but I may not be in his list. If I cannot get through to talk to anyone my plan is to show up and find out for myself. I know this man loves me and I am so in love with him. I never would gave pictured myself as the “type” of woman to fall for someone in prison but here I am. Thank you for reaching out to me. I will update this post as I go forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skgonales For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-04-2019)