Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:18 AM

Unhappy Probation Violation & Absconding

Hello PrisonTalk, I've been checking around these forums since yesterday trying to figure out (roughly) what is going to possibly happen to me. Here's my story...I got in trouble for Felony Larceny (1st conviction) and was found guilty and sentenced to 2years probation and $5000 restitution. My suspended sentance is 6months - 2 years.. The judge also ordered me to attend a drug assessment because it was found that I had a drug issue during my crime (k2) Everything started out good, I did my assessment (had to take 13 $80 classes) and I found a job. My po was usually threatening me with jail all the time if I messed up, but I wasn't so they opted to move me to a less intense probation. I was told my new po would contact me with what to do. I didn't receive a call from him until almost 4 months later. In that time I lost my job and couldn't make payments and after like2-3months of no po calling I thought I had screwed up and I was done for. I was extremely scared (bad anxiety) so I started doing drugs and partying again. THEN my new po calls about a month later, so needless to say I thought it was really over then, I was so scared I didn't know what to do so I ran. I REALLY was trying to do the right thing, I just got caught up in drugs and anxiety again. So my question is what is going to happen? Is there a way I can get into some kind of drug program? It's documented in the past year that drugs have played a huge role in this. I'm scared as f**k and some insight/help would really help to calm this anxiety. I'm so sick of living like this. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2016, 07:27 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,306 Times in 16,151 Posts

Im sorry I dont know the answer to the questions you asked, other than to state the obvious.
Running is probably the worst possible thing (besides the continued drug usage)
But I will say get yourself to some N/A meetings.
Dont use again.
Of course you are nervous, and anxious.
But dont use, go to an NA meeting. Go to several if you have to, but dont use. Its not going to help and in fact is probably making your stress level worse.(the using drugs will not help)
Wishing you the best.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:18 AM

I can't exactly start doing NA now, I'm technically on the run about to turn myself in..i just want to try and figure out my options. Hoping I don't have to do my full 2 years..
Old 04-24-2016, 08:26 AM

Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,116 Posts

I would get my self to the nearest hospital to detox and explain to them your situation. Going to jail to detox sucks. It will also show you are trying to get help.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:03 AM
attorney

Thanked 22,279 Times in 7,745 Posts

Dude, you can start doing NA. You can start trying to mitigate the damage you've done. You can start addressing your anxiety issues, and come up with a plan for addressing those anxiety issues NOW, so you have some chance of mitigating the damage you've done. PO offices are only open during business hours, and generally aren't open right now (sure, there's an on call, and they will show up to help bust you on a Sunday, but most are home with their families, having their lives). It's Sunday. Go to nothing but NA meetings from now until you surrender (I'm assuming somebody's already arranged that for you and that you've got an attorney or know to get a PD as soon as it's shown you qualify)

You need to mitigate. Now, if you're just gonna go, "shit, it's Sunday, I'm going to jail tomorrow. Let's party!" You're going to get exactly what you deserve.

Fwiw, I'd also catch up on my restitution payments.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:27 AM

I don't actually have any type of surrender worked out, I figured id just go to the courthouse or the jail and just turn myself in. I can't afford an attorney so I haven't talked to one. I don't know how I can do NA either, I have no vehicle and everyone else I know is too busy with their own lives. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do at this point.. EDIT: I have already addressed the anxiety in the past and was prescribed benzos (never abused) but my script ran out beginning of last year before all my problems started..

Last edited by JMhero; 04-24-2016 at 09:30 AM..
Old 04-24-2016, 09:35 AM

Thanked 1,866 Times in 892 Posts

Look, IMHO you are making every excuse to not do the right thing. You have your mind made up on what you are going to do.

I am certain if you wanted to attend meetings you could walk or ride the local transit system to get there. Running is NOT going to get things taken care of.

Time to pull up your big-boy panties and do the right thing, get your shit together and put this all behind you.
VA PO (06-30-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe67 View Post
Look, IMHO you are making every excuse to not do the right thing. You have your mind made up on what you are going to do.

I am certain if you wanted to attend meetings you could walk or ride the local transit system to get there. Running is NOT going to get things taken care of.

Time to pull up your big-boy panties and do the right thing, get your shit together and put this all behind you.
I am doing what I need to. I said my goodbyes, said bye to my girl, moved my stuff to storage. I am doing this I'm tired of running. I'm just trying to figure out what I can do legally to get into some sort of drug program o like rdap or something, or anything I can do to not get my max time of two years. EDIT: If I woulda thought of NA being a help in all this I woulda done something by now, I've jus been ignoring all tho until a few days ago when I decided with my gf that I AM going, its for the best.

Last edited by JMhero; 04-24-2016 at 09:49 AM..
Old 04-24-2016, 09:52 AM
Donation Award 

Here's some help too! STOP MAKING EXCUSE'S, if you can go on the run, you'll find a way for help! Some places may even come get YOU!

men overcoming addictions!
What is The Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center (ARC)? The ARC, located in Plaza-Midwood, is open to men ages 21 to 54 seeking help with chemical addictions. The 180-day ARC program is free and serves 118 men at a time. The focus is on spirituality, rehabilitation through a 12-step program, individual and group therapy, and work therapy.
How to enter the program. Intake hours are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. Intake at other times should be arranged in advance. To apply, click here to fill out the Beneficiary Application for Admission. Print form and bring to the ARC, along with a photo ID, Social Security Card, or current printout stating the beneficiary has applied for a Social Security Card. They have MANY ARC programs around, if one's full look for another almost all states have one!

Last edited by mssirois2u; 04-24-2016 at 10:02 AM..
Old 04-24-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssirois2u View Post
Here's some help too! STOP MAKING EXCUSE'S, if you can go on the run, you'll find a way for help! Some places may even come get YOU!

men overcoming addictions!
What is The Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center (ARC)? The ARC, located in Plaza-Midwood, is open to men ages 21 to 54 seeking help with chemical addictions. The 180-day ARC program is free and serves 118 men at a time. The focus is on spirituality, rehabilitation through a 12-step program, individual and group therapy, and work therapy.
How to enter the program. Intake hours are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. Intake at other times should be arranged in advance. To apply, click here to fill out the Beneficiary Application for Admission. Print form and bring to the ARC, along with a photo ID, Social Security Card, or current printout stating the beneficiary has applied for a Social Security Card.
Wouldn't it be best for me to just turn myself in at this point as opposed to continuing to go on the run? Even if I'm still doing good while I'm out..im confused.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,635 Times in 13,578 Posts

Absolutely, having an outstanding arrest warrant for absconding from probation is going to mean that your return to custody will be much harsher than if you turn yourself in. You will be much better served to have a lawyer's advice, even if you can't afford to retain one. Call around and ask if they will be able help.

You can also call the probation office supervisor and negotiate turning yourself in. If they won't help, you can do the same thing with your local police/sheriff. Your warrant will be available to any law enforcement agency.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:37 PM

Exclamation Probation Violation Absconding

My question is, if i pay all $5000 right now and attend some classes in the meantime, is there a chance that I could get my minimum time or less? My sentence was 6-24months.

Last edited by JMhero; 04-26-2016 at 06:12 PM..
Old 04-26-2016, 06:13 PM

Thanked 1,123 Times in 504 Posts

So a confluence of events got you here, but you didn't mean to get in trouble, and you hope they can see that?

I havent seen a word of your personal responsibility in this situation. So until you get real, don't waste the time of the kind people here who truly want t to help you. Take one step to help yourself, be a grown ass man and step up!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
VA PO (06-30-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:21 PM
attorney

If you don't have the money (but can pay $5K up front? really? don't have the money for an attorney to help you surrender, set bail, and get all of that worked out?) talk with the PD's office and fill out the financial paperwork so the PD can help you. There's already an arrest warrant for you, so quit fucking around on that part.

You didn't do any meetings, haven't looked into a substance abuse evaluation, and are dragging your feet on all of this. When they catch up with you, it won't be fun.

Look, if you have $5K, get an attorney for the surrender and bail. Catch up on your restitution. But deal with your substance abuse problems. Demonstrate to the court that you're mature enough to know you have a problem and are taking active, affirmative steps to correct it so that the courts will have the option of doing something other than throw you in prison for as long as it can. I mean, you're making it very easy for the courts to crucify you - no job, drug use, and plenty of excuses. You need to nix the excuses, stop doing K2 and all other forbidden substances, get into treatment and start coming up with something you can show the courts to help persuade the courts to give you yet another chance.

Man up.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:24 PM
tired

Thanked 14,175 Times in 3,688 Posts

I'd use that $5000 to get into rehab, notify my P.O. and maybe that P.O. and judge would have some mercy on you if you're trying to help yourself and face responsibility.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I thought I had screwed up and I was done for. I was extremely scared (bad anxiety) so I started doing drugs and partying again.
So instead of just going down to your POs office to meet your new PO without first getting a call from him/her you decided to just go and use drugs. This shows to me that drugs are more important to you.

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out what I can do legally to get into some sort of drug program o like rdap or something, or anything I can do to not get my max time of two years. EDIT: If I woulda thought of NA being a help in all this I woulda done something by now
Again this tells me you are only interested in rehab to lessen your sentence not to help you. This then says to me more that you need considerable assistance in rehab and until you face your real problem nothing will help you. You have to face the true fact of why you are looking for drug rehab before any rehab can help you. Sorry to say, until then nothing else matters.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:07 AM

Thanked 11,109 Times in 6,008 Posts

The people I knew who went to AA or NA when NOT ordered to do so and who sought out meetings that weren't filled with people from the same supervision office actually tended to get something out of it...but then again, they were actually motivated to change.

Where there is any potential discretion or leniency to be shown by the Court in a revocation proceeding, it will be reserved for those that took steps to show they recognized they have a problem and gave enough of a damn to try and address that problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-27-2016), yourself (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 10:46 AM
Donation Award 

How long have you been on the run since the your last PO contacted you is a main concern. If it has been a week you may not have a warrant, if it has been six months you probably have a warrant. In Illinois if a parolee had an AWOL warrant and turned themselves into the office...many times we would withdraw the warrant then place sanctions such as 60-90 days Electronic Monitoring or mandate residential drug treatment. If you are arrested on the warrant other than turning yourself in....then your chances for the warrant to be withdrawn go way down.
Contact your parole agent, see if you have a warrant and if you can discuss diversion on the warrant for residential treatment and come into compliance with your parole / probation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris idoc For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-27-2016), nimuay (06-08-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 03:56 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris idoc View Post
How long have you been on the run since the your last PO contacted you is a main concern. If it has been a week you may not have a warrant, if it has been six months you probably have a warrant. In Illinois if a parolee had an AWOL warrant and turned themselves into the office...many times we would withdraw the warrant then place sanctions such as 60-90 days Electronic Monitoring or mandate residential drug treatment. If you are arrested on the warrant other than turning yourself in....then your chances for the warrant to be withdrawn go way down.
Contact your parole agent, see if you have a warrant and if you can discuss diversion on the warrant for residential treatment and come into compliance with your parole / probation.
gotta remember, this yahoo is trying to stay out long enough that his elicit drug use won't show up in the drug testing his PO will order the minute he shows up.....
Old 06-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,635 Times in 13,578 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. If she doesn't tell her PO, and the PO finds out about it anyway, that's not good. The choice is hers to make.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:52 PM

Absconding is always a bad, bad idea. Talking back rudely to those trying to offer helpful advice is a bad, bad idea. I can't claim to have made the best choices in life, but I trust the advice I've received here. And trust the advice I've seen given here.