Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Jeremys Wife

Default Transfer closer to home

My husband has been up by talahassee for almost 6 months. I havent been to see him yet but thats a 5 hour drive. I was wondering if there was anyway he could put in for a transfer close to home or does he have to go to a work camp? I asked his classification officer and she said hes not eligible for a work release or a work camp because of his charges. Hes a habitual Driving on suspended license. She said something about him staying at medium and he has to go to minimum to go to work release. I thought it was as long as hes in for nothing violent? His classification officer seems nice and seems to know what shes doing but I think there should be a way around it. Id love for him to be at least 2 hours closer.

Angel and Jaydon Nicolodi

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2006, 12:20 PM
True love waits!

Good luck with it, is all I can say! My ex was at Madison for 3 years - I'm in Palm Beach County, over 8 hour drive!! Needless to say, I didn't visit often! I do know that they won't be considered for transfer until they've been at the facility they're at now for at least 1 year. Wait.....
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/inmates/transfers.html this is a link to the DOC's info on transfers.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Jeremys Wife

Oh well if thats the case then he wont be eligible to go until September and then he gets out on Nov 5th so it would be pointless.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,473 Posts

It is not impossible to transfer but it is difficult. According to a former DOC staffer I talked to recently., it is best to try to influence the placement at the very beginning of the process when they are going through classification. I know that doesn't help you but it might help those who haven't been sentenced yet.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:03 AM
strong enough

When my husband was at FSP I wrote a ton of letters to classification, the asst. Warden and even the classification office in Lake Butler and got him transferred to Tomoka. I explained where I lived and they sent him fairly reasonable distance(2 hours from me), better then the 5 to FSP.
They can apply for a "Good Adjustment Transfer" after being there 1 year and DR free. I think its 18 months for lifers.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Jeremys Wife

My husband went to prison on August 24th and he gets out November 5th. So by the time his year is up he will only have a little over 2 months. He was sentenced to 18 months but is only doing 14 if he keeps all of his gain time plus time already served. Unless they just move him like I have seen them due to past inmates Ive known he will stay there.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:01 PM
strong enough

If he is not getting into trouble there it may be better that he just stay put and finish his time y'know?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:32 PM

I know typically they won't grant a good adjustment transfer unless he's been at that location for at least 1 year. My husband was 4 hours away for 2 1/2 years, so I know how difficult the distance can be. I agree with Nightbird, if he is doing well there, 9 months isn't much longer. I wish you the best of luck!