Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Member Introductions & Lone Star Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Member Introductions & Lone Star Lounge Please post your introduction here if you are involved with the Texas prison & criminal justice system, and join in non-prison related conversations with other people from your state.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Bubba's Mom

Wink I'm a Newbie!

Hi ya'll! I'm new at this and just wanted to introduce myself and my Son!
My Son {Bubba} has a 4 year term for failure to appear. He is 20 years old and was in the Middleton Unit for a couple of weeks and just got transferred to the Lindsey Unit in Jacksboro, Tx. My name is Penny and I'm a Mother of 3 and Grandma of 2 and I will have lots of questions for you!
1} Why do they keep getting transferred?
2} He goes before Parole in April this year, does that mean he is getting out earlier?
3} When he does get out, we live in Mesquite which is Dallas County, where do we go to see his Parole Officer? How many times a week or month does he see him? And does he pay him each time he goes?
4} Everyone does a background check these days so where is he suppose to work? I heard even DQ does one now!
5} We are moving back to East Texas soon, will we still have to come to Dallas to see a Parole Officer or how does that work?

Ok thats it for now, but I still have a lot more questions for later. Thanks for reading and I hope some one can help me on here.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Here we go again...
Donation Award 

Hi Penny, Welcome to PTO.
My fiance is in California, but some of this stuff is standard across the board, so I'll help where I can.
Transfers happen for a number of reasons; bed space, depending on his level (1-4), if he's been in trouble at one facility he'll get transferred to another, etc.
If he's going up for parole in April, it means the board is going to review his case. They will look at things like; is he staying out of trouble, has he taken any required classes, is he trying to better himself, etc. It does not mean he will be released in April.
As for Parole, it's usually once a month and the PO will come to him, 9 times out of 10. Once you move, if he is approved, he will be assigned to a new PO near home.
As for work, it's hard, but there are jobs out there. He needs to contact old employers, look to friends and family who own their own business, word of mouth, there are still plenty out there that do not do background checks.
Also, be sure to check out the TX forums, you'll find lots of info specifically related to TX laws and parole info there.
Good luck to you and yours
Old 02-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Welcome to PTO!

Old 02-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Welcome to PTO!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,179 Times in 2,585 Posts

Hi Penney and welcome to PTO and the Texas Forum. I'm glad that you found us! My son was just transfered to a new unit but he was at Lindsey Unit for about 8 months. It is a "better" unit in my opinion than most of the others I have visited. They have AC in the summer and central heat in the winter.This was the first unit my son had been in that had AC. Look around in the parole and probation area and you will find info on support letters to send to the parole board before your son comes up for parole. They might be helpful to him as far as making parole. I'm sure each county is different but in my county the parolee has to make a visit to the parole office once a month and the PO does a home visit once a month. The parole fee was $18 a month when my son was out last time. I hope this helps you. Good Luck! Katy

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 02-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

Welcome to PTO. Here you will find the door always open and someone always willing to share what they know or have experienced. It is truly a wonderful site. Our prayers are with you
Old 02-27-2007, 02:53 PM

Welcome to PTO.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:18 AM
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO and the Texas Forum. The information above is mostly correct, but there are a few things that I'd like to correct. Here in Texas, the number of visits to a PO can be more than one - I know of people that have to report 3 times a month! I'm not sure whether or not they have to pay the fines each time or not though. And the PO doesn't always come to you - there is usually one home visit a month and one or more office visits a month.

I could be wrong on this, but I think the move to another county has to be approved BEFORE the move is made. I haven't had any experience with county to county moves - only out of state.

Good luck and again Welcome!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:30 AM

Hello and welcome to PTO
Old 03-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Immanuel-God With Us

Hello and Welcome to PTO
Old 03-04-2007, 04:53 PM

Welcome to PTO....glad you found us.