Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:10 PM

Default Interstate compact transfer from California to Arizona

Hi my name is Sandra and I am new to prisontalk not to the system, but to prisontalk. I hope i posted this in the right place. My husband was here in Arizona living with me since February of 2010, but I do have to add that he was asconding from California. We had tried several times to have him transfered here to Arizona with no success. The first time he filed for interstate compact from Chino prison, where his consilor messed up the whole transfer due to not sending any of his case information to interstate compact in California, that transfer wa denied due to lack of paper work. When he got out we asked the parole officer to file the interstate compact paper work for us. He claimed he would, he got the whole packet together as so he says. But with held the packet from being sent to interstate compact in california due to two dirty tests he says my husband tested. Eventually we sadly grew tired of waiting and we just came back to Arizona to resume our lifes. He was stopped here in Arizona for doing an illegal u-turn and incercerated here in Arizona then was returned to California on a governers warrant. He has 62 days left there in Chino prison, but my question is I am asking his parole officer to file for the interstate compact transfer to Arizona from California. At first he has friendly about it and told me sure I can do it. Then it's as if he had a change of heart and when I called back the day he instructed me to he told me bluntly that he is not trying to be mean or rude, but that my husband was not his priority due to being incarcerated. That if he got around to it this month he would if not then he would do it next month in November 2011. My question is does he have a time frame he has to submit the paper work by? Is there anything i can do to help the process along? Can I make the parole officer file the paper work? Can a lawyer or legal aid help me? I'm trying to do every thing the legal way, but how can I if no one ever gives Arizona the chance to say yes or no to the transfer. My problem is no one will submit his paperwork to interstate compact in California in a timely manner or give a completed packet. Can someone please give me some advise or hepl every where i go I hist a dead end. My husband is with the time frame for the paper work to be filed. Pleae help me!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 04:26 PM
te quiero siempre

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze626 View Post
Hi my name is Sandra and I am new to prisontalk not to the system, but to prisontalk. I hope i posted this in the right place. My husband was here in Arizona living with me since February of 2010, but I do have to add that he was asconding from California. We had tried several times to have him transfered here to Arizona with no success. The first time he filed for interstate compact from Chino prison, where his consilor messed up the whole transfer due to not sending any of his case information to interstate compact in California, that transfer wa denied due to lack of paper work. When he got out we asked the parole officer to file the interstate compact paper work for us. He claimed he would, he got the whole packet together as so he says. But with held the packet from being sent to interstate compact in california due to two dirty tests he says my husband tested. Eventually we sadly grew tired of waiting and we just came back to Arizona to resume our lifes. He was stopped here in Arizona for doing an illegal u-turn and incercerated here in Arizona then was returned to California on a governers warrant. He has 62 days left there in Chino prison, but my question is I am asking his parole officer to file for the interstate compact transfer to Arizona from California. At first he has friendly about it and told me sure I can do it. Then it's as if he had a change of heart and when I called back the day he instructed me to he told me bluntly that he is not trying to be mean or rude, but that my husband was not his priority due to being incarcerated. That if he got around to it this month he would if not then he would do it next month in November 2011. My question is does he have a time frame he has to submit the paper work by? Is there anything i can do to help the process along? Can I make the parole officer file the paper work? Can a lawyer or legal aid help me? I'm trying to do every thing the legal way, but how can I if no one ever gives Arizona the chance to say yes or no to the transfer. My problem is no one will submit his paperwork to interstate compact in California in a timely manner or give a completed packet. Can someone please give me some advise or hepl every where i go I hist a dead end. My husband is with the time frame for the paper work to be filed. Pleae help me!!!
There is lots of info on Interstate Transfers on PTO for more indepth info. Your husband's PO does NOT have to file the paperwork for him; it is TOTALLY up to the PO and whether he feels it is a worthwhile cause. You being his wife and living in another state is one reason the PO will file the paperwork as your husband has a better chance of going straight if he can be living with his family. But I would remain respectful and courteous to PO at all times. In my husbands case, the paperwork was done, it was submitted to PO's supervisor (who also has to approve) and then sent to Sacramento, but it stalled and no one could tell us why. My husband called up to Sacramento and found out after 2 conversions with personnel there, that he still owed restitution, even though his record with PO said it was all paid. There had been a glitch in paperwork. Once that was figured out, the paperwork was sent to my state and within weeks he was approved.

There really isn't a time limit, I don't think. But now with new parole in Cali, your husband could be OFF parole in 6 months if he remains clean and problem free, way better than being on parole at all. Cause remember, your husband will still have to be on parole in Arizona. Each state, county etc has their own rules and regs and your husband will have to follow BOTH Cali's and Arizona's. My husband actually had to pay the PO office in my state to be on parole. It was to cover drugs/alcohols tests and other things.

Good luck!
But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings of eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enchanted Wolf For This Useful Post:
debindesert (10-11-2011), socal729 (10-15-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 11:03 PM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

It's really unusual for a parole agent to start interstate transfer paperwork until the inmate is paroled. Prison counselors used to do it but from what I understand they don't anymore, so if he is to apply it will probably take 2 months after he paroles to get it approved, but Enchanted Wolf gave you good advice..he might end up doing his entire parole period in Arizona, I know that a lot of states won't even submit recommendations for early discharge from parole to California
Old 10-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Love over Fear
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,254 Times in 755 Posts

I'm a bit far off from dealing with the Interstate Compact (AZ to CA), but according to my husbands attorney, 6 months prior to release I should contact local probation dept here in CA, to notify them. Now granted AZ court already put in the record they were in approval, or had no objection, but perhaps contacting AZ for some guidance may give you further insight.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 AM
(f/k/a ARoman)

Thanked 1,392 Times in 813 Posts

Enchanted is correct. It's up to the PO as to whether or when they want to submit it. It would be a good idea to contact the interstate office in Arizona and ask the question about what other special conditions they would place on him and whether they honor early discharge. I think the POs right now are so overwhelmed with the changes that they don't have time to deal with extra paperwork. Be careful, Colorado put restrictions on my son that were just insane so we decided it's best for him to stay in California.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 PM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle View Post
Enchanted is correct. It's up to the PO as to whether or when they want to submit it. It would be a good idea to contact the interstate office in Arizona and ask the question about what other special conditions they would place on him and whether they honor early discharge. I think the POs right now are so overwhelmed with the changes that they don't have time to deal with extra paperwork. Be careful, Colorado put restrictions on my son that were just insane so we decided it's best for him to stay in California.
Same with my son in Nevada, it was crazy- he's disabled but the agent here said he had to work full time and they would 'find him a job' probably at Mc Donald's, he figured that was just a set up to fail since he can't even bend his leg so he declined the transfer and stayed in CA