Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Juvenile
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Juvenile Discussion of everything related to minors in the criminal justice system: juvenile detention, courts, rights, and family support.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:06 AM

Default Media Inquiry: sexual abuse in juvenile detention/corrections centers

Hi all,

I'm posting with permission of a mod, who suggested this was the best category.

I'm a reporter with the Juvenile Justice Information Exchange, jjie dot org.

I'm working on an in-depth story around the new federal DOJ report about sexual victimization in youth detention/corrections facilities: (I can't post a link but just Google "sexual victimization in juvenile facilities reported by youth")

I can talk to any number of professors or advocates about trends or statistics (which I'm doing), but I am trying to find first-hand voices from a youth inside or formerly inside one of these facilities or family or advocate or clergy or friend that can talk about the atmosphere within a detention/corrections center with respect to sexual activity, sexual abuse from staff or other youth, statutory rape, threats of sexual violence or sex for favors, "consensual" sex between guards and kids or even where there would be privacy for sex.

The problem, according to the report, is worst in Georgia, Ohio and South Carolina ... though in some states there are zero complaints.

Of course, some officials are telling me they don't believe the report, or that the kids are lying. ...But why would there be hundreds of "liars" in Georgia and none in New York?

I would not want to print a young person's name, though I would like to be able to name the facility in question. I'd also be interested in photos. Please PM if we could talk.

Even if you don't want to talk in the article, I'd be interested in your comments or suggestions here or in PM about what questions I should ask officials, what kind of things I could investigate, anything that crosses your mind.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 AM
WINNING! Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,877 Times in 10,462 Posts

Media / Journalists & Students / Researchers:
When a journalist or member of the media posts on the site - or students/researchers post on the site for research purposes - they are expected to explain the purpose of the request to the members and to encourage members to post their stories in the thread. Considering the fact that this is a prisoner-oriented site, any media stories evolving from PTO communication should be that of a positive nature. Requests with the intent of provoking derogatory comments about prisoners or corrections officers will not be tolerated. Inviting outside contact of PTO members is also not allowed. Persons in the media and students/researchers are also not allowed to send unsolicited emails and/or private messages to members of PTO. Posting a personal email address within the thread is also not allowed. It is not the responsibility of the PTO Administration or Staff to authenticate or verify any statement or facts purported by members of PTO. At the discretion of PTO Administration, any media-related post/request or research-related post/request may be removed from the site. This may be done without warning or prior notification. PTO does not endorse any media outlet, journalist, member of the media or media story/report, or any students/researchers or involved educational/research institution. However, any information obtained from this site must be credited to Prisontalk.com and its members. Failure to follow these rules and policies will result in the request being immediately removed from the site and permanent banning of the media member(s) or students/researchers involved.

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

The Following User Says Thank You to Patty For This Useful Post:
Renee (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,637 Times in 13,579 Posts

Here's an interesting article about a lawsuit just filed by the ACLU concerning juvenile prison rape in Mississippi by both inmates and staff.

http://www.aclu.org/blog/human-right...issippi-prison
Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Here's an interesting article about a lawsuit just filed by the ACLU concerning juvenile prison rape in Mississippi by both inmates and staff.
Thanks for the link.

Ugh, what a scary case. And in Lauderdale County, Mississippi? Geez, I've reported there on a federal lawsuit alleging that the county funnels disruptive kids from school to juvie to prison.

Last edited by LeBeau; 06-13-2013 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: repair broken quote code
Old 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,637 Times in 13,579 Posts

Similar to the PA case where the judge was paid for each child he sentenced to the privately owned "juvenile" prison I bet. Corruption flourishes when the victims are powerless, and the society doesn't care what happens to them.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:37 PM

Appropriate you should mention the PA private prison case -- #4 on the list, Paulding in Georgia, is privately-run.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaggieLee For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-14-2013)