Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:19 PM

Default Parole Absconding, how long after not reporting is parolee absconding?

Does anyone know how long after a failed report that parole will consider a parolee an absconder? And if parole bothers to try to contact the parolee by phone or at their residence or sending them a certified letter before declaring them an absconder?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2015, 03:38 PM

Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,116 Posts

I'm pretty sure as soon as you miss an appointment.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
sandman9537 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 03:39 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,898 Times in 17,032 Posts

Its been my experience that it depends on the PO. I know that it isn't much of an answer, but it going to depend on how long the offender has been on parole, how many problems (if any) during that period and the individual PO.

As for the PO trying to contact the parolee after they've missed an appointment, some might try....but more than likely they leave it up to parolee to contact them as its the parolee's responsibility to keep in touch with his/her PO.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
christik999 (01-06-2015), sandman9537 (01-12-2015), xolady (01-05-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 08:20 AM

Thanked 1,090 Times in 520 Posts

the longer you wait the worse its going to get .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christik999 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-06-2015), sandman9537 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 07:57 PM

Thanked 11,109 Times in 6,008 Posts

Most agencies view it as a violation at the first missed appointment. The specific time-frame before moving into ABSCONDER status will vary by agency...by example, in Texas, we use 30 days from the last contact with the releasee. They can be declared an absconder prior to thirty days if there is evidence they have actually moved. There is no requirement to send a certified letter since those may sit around for upwards of three weeks before being returned to the sender when unclaimed...the person on supervision KNOWS when they blew off the appointment.

As others note, it gets worse the longer the releasee avoids their supervising agency.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
sandman9537 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,643 Times in 673 Posts

It's never a good idea to abscond, so if not much time has passed I'd get in to report asap. If you don't mind an anecdote from my own experience, I went 3 months back in the early 1980's without reporting. During that 3 months I landed a good job managing a hotel and secured a great place to live. I was over at my parents house telling them about my good fortune and they told me I should let my PO know and that I needed to start reporting again. I called my PO and told him I was sorry for not reporting and then I told him about my new job and all. He told me that was great, that we could work it out. Then he instructed me to come in to his office the following morning. Less than an hour after I hung up the police were beating on my parents front door. I was arrested because the PO already issued what was called a blue warrant. I got violated, lost that job, lost that house, and did the rest of my sentence in the joint. No, not a good idea to abscond.
The Following User Says Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
sandman9537 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 07:07 AM

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,311 Posts

The previous responses paint an accurate picture of the situation. in PA, the parolee can be declared an absconder whenever the agent and his supervisor decide to change the status. I believe they will allow a couple weeks after the missed appointment provided they have no reason to believe he has actually fled the state. They will check the court system to see if there's been even a traffic ticket and they may contact the local LEO to see if they've seen the parolee around.

They will not send a letter and may not even knock on the door. If the parolee has a phone number on file, they may call to see if it answers.

As said above, this is a serious violation. Once listed as an absconder, the parole clock stops and the time will be added to the max date.
patchouli (01-11-2015), sandman9537 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 03:02 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman9537 View Post
Does anyone know how long after a failed report that parole will consider a parolee an absconder? And if parole bothers to try to contact the parolee by phone or at their residence or sending them a certified letter before declaring them an absconder?
Thanks to all for you responses. This parolee had no intent to abscond. Failure to Report and absconding appear to be two distinctive violations with similar elements where one is missing scheduled reporting, and the latter, "going on the run" or the parolee making themselves unavailable for supervision . Although not criminal in nature, Parole Violations are technically charges made against a parolee where "Due Process" must be afforded and the parolee must be convicted of the violation (which doesn't take much) by admission or "preponderance of the evidence". One would think or hope that some type of investigation would be done to discover whether or not the parolee has went on the run or just failed to report before they would be charged and classified as an absconder. Although no violation is favorable for re-parole if the parolee was recommitted and is deemed a flight risk for some programming. Nonetheless, the issue was resolved. The parolee missed a report and was worried about his PO arresting and detaining him on the next report, so he missed another reporting day. He eventually made the decision to just go on the next before it got to be too long and options would be lost.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandman9537 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-12-2015)