Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:09 PM

Default Putting Commissary Money on another inmate's account?

I know, thru my son, a federal inmate who has nobody on the outside for emotional or financial help. He has parents, but they don't help. My question is: can I put money on his account so that he can buy a pair of shoes. Instead of giving my son money, he wants me to put money on another inmates account. Is this allowed? I don't want either of them to get in any type of trouble. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,335 Times in 3,156 Posts

In most places, no it is not allowed to put money on someone else's books.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish17 View Post
I know, thru my son, a federal inmate who has nobody on the outside for emotional or financial help. He has parents, but they don't help. My question is: can I put money on his account so that he can buy a pair of shoes. Instead of giving my son money, he wants me to put money on another inmates account. Is this allowed? I don't want either of them to get in any type of trouble. Thank you.
Doing so will get your son and his friend in a lot of trouble. Best advice is to give it to your son for him to buy and give to his friend.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:04 AM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,889 Times in 17,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junies01985 View Post
Doing so will get your son and his friend in a lot of trouble. Best advice is to give it to your son for him to buy and give to his friend.
That's against policy too.... although both scenarios do happen.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 08:18 AM

If you are a member of a Church, could you donate the money to them to send? I could see how it could be perceived as trying to circumvent the rules; but it would show the charitable intent behind it more-so than just adding money in your name?
Old 11-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,548 Times in 2,057 Posts

The BoP has no rule against giving money to more than one inmate and if you send a US PS money order you can send it without giving your name.

Buying and giving a pair of shoes for another inmate IS against the rules.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (11-22-2016), Fridyrr.Likn (11-15-2016), patchouli (11-15-2016), Sarianna (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 08:48 AM

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,743 Posts

I can't tell you how many times I sent money to another inmate besides the person I was with.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:15 AM

Thanked 1,468 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
The BoP has no rule against giving money to more than one inmate and if you send a US PS money order you can send it without giving your name.

Buying and giving a pair of shoes for another inmate IS against the rules.
I know I read about a Federal white collar defendant whose wife sent $100 to an impoverished fellow inmate, and he got in trouble.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
I know I read about a Federal white collar defendant whose wife sent $100 to an impoverished fellow inmate, and he got in trouble.
I can almost promise you there is more to this story than a simple gift.

I only use US PS money orders and in the "from" area I put the inmates name.

There is no official BoP rule against sending a true gift; if there is more to it than a gift, which is often the case, then yes both inmates can have trouble.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (11-22-2016), Fridyrr.Likn (11-15-2016), patchouli (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 10:52 AM

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote:
I can almost promise you there is more to this story than a simple gift.

I only use US PS money orders and in the "from" area I put the inmates name.

There is no official BoP rule against sending a true gift; if there is more to it than a gift, which is often the case, then yes both inmates can have trouble.
Exactly! A lot of situations like this are about drugs, extortion, or paying off debts. Buying things they shouldn't be, material or otherwise.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:04 AM
Owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
Exactly! A lot of situations like this are about drugs, extortion, or paying off debts. Buying things they shouldn't be, material or otherwise.
And then there are the "needy" inmates that are needy to a couple of new, well off guys every couple of months. They can spot a kind hearted soul from afar!

I have said this often here at PTO for every rule the BoP has that seems stupid, inane and foolish there is usually a very good reason that rules was put into place.

But back to the OP; if you want to do this mitzvah I suggest using a US PS money order and do not put your name on it and do not mention that you sent it to your son over the phone, in a letter or in an email.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (11-22-2016), bellisq (11-16-2016), Fridyrr.Likn (11-15-2016), Minor activist (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 03:44 PM

Thank you for the good advice. I know this young man comes from a very poor family and I really feel bad that his needs are not being met, especially when it is a need and not a want. My son always wants to help the less fortunate, but part of being in prison is following the rules. On the outside, I would never have a problem as may husband and I make it a point to give to others. However, in this situation, I do not want to help my son circumvent the rules. They both have a year to go, and I would never forgive myself if I caused either of them a hardship. My son will feel bad when I say no and I will feel guilty for not helping, but life is not always fair to some of these young men. Prison is difficult and it must be that much worse when your family is not willing to help and pretty much turn their back. I know everyone was right about not sending money, but we were hoping we could give a gift to a complete stranger. I was actually thinking of calling the chaplain to see if I could send him the money to forward.

Quote:
And then there are the "needy" inmates that are needy to a couple of new, well off guys every couple of months. They can spot a kind hearted soul from afar!

I have said this often here at PTO for every rule the BoP has that seems stupid, inane and foolish there is usually a very good reason that rules was put into place.

But back to the OP; if you want to do this mitzvah I suggest using a US PS money order and do not put your name on it and do not mention that you sent it to your son over the phone, in a letter or in an email.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 PM

Thanked 1,131 Times in 507 Posts

Just say no, and everything will be as it is.
You really don't know the story, and, I don't mean to sound offensive, but you don't know what facade your son uses for survival inside.
N
So a no changes nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (11-22-2016)