Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-14-2016, 07:09 PM
Irish17 Irish17 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Thanks: 21
Thanked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Default Putting Commissary Money on another inmate's account?

I know, thru my son, a federal inmate who has nobody on the outside for emotional or financial help. He has parents, but they don't help. My question is: can I put money on his account so that he can buy a pair of shoes. Instead of giving my son money, he wants me to put money on another inmates account. Is this allowed? I don't want either of them to get in any type of trouble. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-14-2016, 07:20 PM
sass4221's Avatar
sass4221 sass4221 is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: KY
Posts: 5,569
Thanks: 3,771
Thanked 6,335 Times in 3,156 Posts
Default

In most places, no it is not allowed to put money on someone else's books.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2016, 08:38 PM
junies01985 junies01985 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CA, CA
Posts: 41
Thanks: 42
Thanked 31 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish17 View Post
I know, thru my son, a federal inmate who has nobody on the outside for emotional or financial help. He has parents, but they don't help. My question is: can I put money on his account so that he can buy a pair of shoes. Instead of giving my son money, he wants me to put money on another inmates account. Is this allowed? I don't want either of them to get in any type of trouble. Thank you.
Doing so will get your son and his friend in a lot of trouble. Best advice is to give it to your son for him to buy and give to his friend.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2016, 08:04 AM
patchouli's Avatar
patchouli patchouli is online now
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 43,349
Thanks: 44,283
Thanked 36,889 Times in 17,025 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junies01985 View Post
Doing so will get your son and his friend in a lot of trouble. Best advice is to give it to your son for him to buy and give to his friend.
That's against policy too.... although both scenarios do happen.
__________________
prisontalkhelp@gmail.com

patchouli, PTO Admin



Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-15-2016)
  #5  
Old 11-15-2016, 08:18 AM
cmh1013 cmh1013 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 291
Thanks: 12
Thanked 178 Times in 117 Posts
Default

If you are a member of a Church, could you donate the money to them to send? I could see how it could be perceived as trying to circumvent the rules; but it would show the charitable intent behind it more-so than just adding money in your name?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2016, 08:29 AM
safran's Avatar
safran safran is offline
Owned
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Azkaban
Posts: 3,521
Thanks: 1,729
Thanked 4,548 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default

The BoP has no rule against giving money to more than one inmate and if you send a US PS money order you can send it without giving your name.

Buying and giving a pair of shoes for another inmate IS against the rules.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (11-22-2016), Fridyrr.Likn (11-15-2016), patchouli (11-15-2016), Sarianna (11-15-2016)
  #7  
Old 11-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Fridyrr.Likn's Avatar
Fridyrr.Likn Fridyrr.Likn is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Posts: 3,184
Thanks: 8,658
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,743 Posts
Default

I can't tell you how many times I sent money to another inmate besides the person I was with.
__________________
KENDRA
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Minor activist Minor activist is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Not on PTO
Posts: 1,632
Thanks: 1,034
Thanked 1,468 Times in 799 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
The BoP has no rule against giving money to more than one inmate and if you send a US PS money order you can send it without giving your name.

Buying and giving a pair of shoes for another inmate IS against the rules.
I know I read about a Federal white collar defendant whose wife sent $100 to an impoverished fellow inmate, and he got in trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 AM
safran's Avatar
safran safran is offline
Owned
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Azkaban
Posts: 3,521
Thanks: 1,729
Thanked 4,548 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
I know I read about a Federal white collar defendant whose wife sent $100 to an impoverished fellow inmate, and he got in trouble.
I can almost promise you there is more to this story than a simple gift.

I only use US PS money orders and in the "from" area I put the inmates name.

There is no official BoP rule against sending a true gift; if there is more to it than a gift, which is often the case, then yes both inmates can have trouble.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (11-22-2016), Fridyrr.Likn (11-15-2016), patchouli (11-15-2016)
  #10  
Old 11-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Fridyrr.Likn's Avatar
Fridyrr.Likn Fridyrr.Likn is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Posts: 3,184
Thanks: 8,658
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,743 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
I can almost promise you there is more to this story than a simple gift.

I only use US PS money orders and in the "from" area I put the inmates name.

There is no official BoP rule against sending a true gift; if there is more to it than a gift, which is often the case, then yes both inmates can have trouble.
Exactly! A lot of situations like this are about drugs, extortion, or paying off debts. Buying things they shouldn't be, material or otherwise.
__________________
KENDRA
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-15-2016, 11:04 AM
safran's Avatar
safran safran is offline
Owned
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Azkaban
Posts: 3,521
Thanks: 1,729
Thanked 4,548 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
Exactly! A lot of situations like this are about drugs, extortion, or paying off debts. Buying things they shouldn't be, material or otherwise.
And then there are the "needy" inmates that are needy to a couple of new, well off guys every couple of months. They can spot a kind hearted soul from afar!

I have said this often here at PTO for every rule the BoP has that seems stupid, inane and foolish there is usually a very good reason that rules was put into place.

But back to the OP; if you want to do this mitzvah I suggest using a US PS money order and do not put your name on it and do not mention that you sent it to your son over the phone, in a letter or in an email.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (11-22-2016), bellisq (11-16-2016), Fridyrr.Likn (11-15-2016), Minor activist (11-15-2016)
  #12  
Old 11-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Irish17 Irish17 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Thanks: 21
Thanked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Thank you for the good advice. I know this young man comes from a very poor family and I really feel bad that his needs are not being met, especially when it is a need and not a want. My son always wants to help the less fortunate, but part of being in prison is following the rules. On the outside, I would never have a problem as may husband and I make it a point to give to others. However, in this situation, I do not want to help my son circumvent the rules. They both have a year to go, and I would never forgive myself if I caused either of them a hardship. My son will feel bad when I say no and I will feel guilty for not helping, but life is not always fair to some of these young men. Prison is difficult and it must be that much worse when your family is not willing to help and pretty much turn their back. I know everyone was right about not sending money, but we were hoping we could give a gift to a complete stranger. I was actually thinking of calling the chaplain to see if I could send him the money to forward.


Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
And then there are the "needy" inmates that are needy to a couple of new, well off guys every couple of months. They can spot a kind hearted soul from afar!

I have said this often here at PTO for every rule the BoP has that seems stupid, inane and foolish there is usually a very good reason that rules was put into place.

But back to the OP; if you want to do this mitzvah I suggest using a US PS money order and do not put your name on it and do not mention that you sent it to your son over the phone, in a letter or in an email.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Ms Sunny Ms Sunny is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 1,124
Thanks: 2,140
Thanked 1,131 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Just say no, and everything will be as it is.
You really don't know the story, and, I don't mean to sound offensive, but you don't know what facade your son uses for survival inside.
N
So a no changes nothing.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (11-22-2016)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urgent! Putting money on other inmate's account with Jpay Question mojo55 Texas General Prison Talk 10 02-26-2012 08:43 PM
How to check an inmate's Commissary Account heisRfamily2 Illinois General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat 12 12-16-2011 01:35 AM
Putting money on inmate's account from another country - OSCI someone-else Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions 11 02-15-2011 06:00 AM
Putting money on commissary at ISF addictsmom Texas General Prison Talk 4 01-09-2011 12:44 PM
Putting Money on Another Inmate's Account valady Mississippi Prison and Jail Specific Discussions 1 06-22-2010 09:30 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:44 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2019 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics